Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,998 Posts
Default Lions should NOT take M. Stafford....

if i had a blog this "article"/rant/DEBATE would be posted there, but since the fredrick news has blocked me from their site........enjoy! and let me know if you agree.

...im pretty much resigned to the fact that they will though, which i think is totally wrong, but this is the lions and hey have a history of not doing whats right.

harrington, williams, williams, c. rogers, k. jones are all gone. no team has ever gone 0-16 but then no team has ever sucked so bad in the draft and posted such an EPIC FAIL streak with 1st round picks, in such a short period of time.

i thought getting rid of the tv commentator as gm was a move in the right direction. not if they draft stafford though.

i get that if you are in need you cant pass on the franchise qb, and if you miss on a player like harrington, it cant scare you from swinging for the fences again.

with rumours floating with stafford being close to a deal, and curry already having a "back up" option b deal already done, i thought that perhaps it was posturing to get OT J. Smith to sign a deal. for me, he was the safest, most logical, and financially sound pick.

he may not be as highly regarded as j. thomas or j. long and certainly isnt the next ogden or pace. he is a player you plug in who has an immediate impact, and you win games with. hell, even the likes of j. thomas and t. ugoh are looking like solid "reaches". i think any team would be happy landing a r. clady.

so whats my knock on stafford?

1) no underclassman qb in the past 10-15 years has been taken in the 1st round and had any type of significant impact other than big ben. you can add aaron rogers, who was NOT the 1st pick of the draft and was allowed to be groomed for 3 years behind one of the greatest qb's of all time.

2) the lions have d. culpepper (who's knee is healthy and is 30 lbs lighter) and couldve just as easilly had byron leftwich. they have calvin johnson. they have the most sacks given up. do they not play in the nfc north? do they not remember the likes of warren moon, brad johnson, randall cunningham, even jeff goerge, and yes, their very own d. culpepper having great (if not very solid) seasons with good protection, a solid running game, and top notch wr/wr's (moss/carter)?

i thought the lions would finally get this right, but just as the bungles are the bungles... the lions are the lions, and tis the season they screw up yet another draft selection.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,822 Times in 916 Posts
Default Re: Lions should NOT take M. Stafford....

It looks like the Lions are trying to gamble away the future and stay a doormat by drafting Stafford #1 overall.

I think its a bad move, because they should follow the plan of many rebuilding teams and build the linemen first, then add talent.

Ask yourself this question. If Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Chad Henne and John David Booty were all in this draft with Stafford.........where does Stafford fit?? To me, he would be the #4 QB ahead of Booty, so I really dont think he is worth the #1 pick and all that $$$.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
J Dogg
Banned

Member Number: 13272

I'll preface this by saying up front that I am a HUGE Georgia Bulldogs fan.

I think taking Matt with the #1 overall pick is a mistake. Matt was All-World coming out of high school, but he was never really able to put it togther in Athens. Even with the talent he had around him, he was only able to show flashes of his real talent. That's not saying Matt wasn't a good QB, because he was. But rather that he never really seemed like he was playing at his full potential for a sustained period.

I have all the confidence in the world that Matt can be a good NFL QB if he lands in the right situation. That would be anywhere not called Detroit or San Fransisco (where that whole organization has gone stupid).

One last thing, anyone who believes MeBrett Favre was doing any grooming of young Aaron Rodgers is fooling themselves.
J Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Dogg View Post

One last thing, anyone who believes MeBrett Favre was doing any grooming of young Aaron Rodgers is fooling themselves.
players play, coaches coach, & owners own.

"grooming" falls under the coaching category.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
J Dogg
Banned

Member Number: 13272

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
players play, coaches coach, & owners own.

"grooming" falls under the coaching category.
Yeah.....there are plenty of examples to the contray.
J Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
tony hipchest

sorry to confuse you.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,822 Times in 916 Posts

I agree with the Favre comment. You see guys like Bettis helping out Parker with plays, then you see guys like Woodley telling Bruce Davis how to handle life as a rookie and we all saw Charlie Batch help Ben thru his first few years in the league in reading defenses, formations, etc.

All anybody saw in GB was Favre throwing as many INT's as TD's, then chuckling on the sidelines while the rest of the NFL said "he's like a kid out there. It's just Brett having fun". Rodgers learned from his coaches and watching, not from any mentoring Favre was offering.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
tony hipchest

batch with ben is a perfect example (typically its an older veteran who has lost their job) but ike taylor with anthony madison is another great example.

BUT anyone would be fooling themselves if they didnt see that a. rodgers was allowed to be groomed for 3 years behind favre.

again.... ben and aaron are the only underclassmen 1st round qb picks to do shit in the past 10 years. this point stands despite what the newb says.

no team will pay somebody nearly $40 mil guaranteed to sit around on the bench and be groomed for their 1st 3 years (actually the lions may be that dumb). it will be sink or swim with stafford. he may get a "free" year like j. russell, since that seems to be the norm now with #1 pick overpaid qb's.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:02 AM   #9
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Supposedly Schwartz is high on Stafford, so I think they'll take him, but I think it'll turn out to be a bad choice.

The NFL as a collective whole (minus one or two teams, notably the Steelers) are in a gotta-win-now mentality. That's what will kill the Lions in the end. They have absolutely nothing to win-now with if they drafted Stafford. By the time he's actually ready to lead a team into the playoffs, he'll be so destroyed mentally (ala David Carr) he won't be worth anything, and he'll be yet another first round bust.

Draft the lineman. Culpepper can play service QB for another year. Monroe or Smith, draft one of them. Pick up a linebacker and a DT in rounds 2-3. Get a #2 receiver, pick up a DB prospect or two.

THEN, next year maybe draft Sam Bradford or somebody.

But not now, not yet. But they're the Lions, what can you expect?
Old 04-24-2009, 08:32 AM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Whoops...should have posted my comments in this thread instead of the other...

Sanchez > Stafford. Neither is going to be a great NFL QB.