Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-23-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Pittsburgh Steelers report: 2009 NFL Mock Draft

Pittsburgh Steelers report: 2009 NFL Mock Draft
April 23, 1:05 AM 2 comments
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...om--Mock-Draft

PITTSBURGH - In three days, we'll know what teh Steelers have been conjuring up when it comes to the NFL Draft.

Will it be California center Alex Mack? Or maybe Wake Forest cornerback Alphonso Smithhas gotten both director of football operations Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin's attention.

"We really think in the first three rounds we can get players that may eventually get players that will be starters at some point in time," Colbert said during the pre draft press conference. " In rounds four and five I think we can get some contributors. In six and seven, you’re probably looking at potential practice squad guys. And then you hope that you get lucky with a couple of free agents that end up being better than we think they are. If we come out of it with that, with healthy people, we’ll have a chance."

Or will they pull a trade to move up or even down in the draft or get a guy a like Roscoe Parrish, whom two sources have told the Examiner the Steelers have had talks about.

No one knows for sure but here's how we think it might go down.

1st ROUND. 32 overall) C Eric Wood, Louisville – Some say he will still be around for the second round, but at 6’4, 310 pounds, Wood not only possesses strength but is also very light on his feet. He is known to pick up late blitzers in the middle and moves well. They say he has certain nastiness to him when he plays the game, and he can also play guard while training to take over for Justin Hartwig who is in the last year of his contract.

2nd ROUND.64 overall) DT Fili Moala, USC – Is he a product of the system, or just that good? The verdict is still out, but in Moala the Steelers get a player who not only is quick but also agile at 305 pounds. He has been a productive pass rusher on the collegiate level. Would be a perfect fit for the Steelers in the 3-4.

3rd ROUND.96 overall) CB Jairus Byrd, Oregon – Here’s a guy who comes with an NFL pedigree as his father Gil, was a first round pick of the San Diego Chargers in the 1983 Draft. During his three year career for the Ducks, he had 17 interceptions and last year led the nation in knockdowns with 19. You might say he is sort of a ‘tweener’ because he could also project to safety. At 5’10 207 pounds he is known for being very physical and aggressive and can also contribute with the return game as he averaged 11.7 yards per punt return last year.

4th ROUND. 132 overall) OT Gerald Cadogan- Not only is he very bright- last year he was a finalist for the Draddy Award – but he can play both left tackle and guard. During his career for the Nittany Lions he manhandled opposition and at 6’5, 309 has good size and bulk.
5TH ROUND. 168 overall) TE Chase Coffman, Missouri – This might be a reach as he may not be here - but like Byrd, Coffman comes with an NFL pedigree. Last year he had 90 catches for 987 yards and won the John Mackey Award as the nation’s top tight end. The Steelers are looking for a blocker, and many mock drafts have him listed as a subpar blocker, but with some weight he could adjust to the pro game. At 6’5, 244 he would make a good target for Ben Roethlisberger and has performed well in the Red Zone.

5th ROUND. 169 overall) WR Mike Wallace, Mississippi – This guy would be a project as he’s been known to drop a few… just like Nate Washington did early on, but last year he averaged 20.1 yards per catch and for his career it was 18.9 ypg. Wallace is also a good return man

6th ROUND. 205 overall) DT Jeremy Navarre, Maryland – A converted fullback, Navarre would be a project but is versatile as he can play both defensive tackle and end. The last two years he has been one of the best in the ACC, and finishes with 11.5 sacks for his career and never missed a game.

7th ROUND.226 overall- from Tampa Bay) FB Frank Summers, UNLV- The Steelers may go after this guy sooner because not since Dan Kreider have they had a fullback with Summers skills.

7th ROUND .241 overall) QB Nate Davis, Ball State – The Steelers are very high on this kid, and although there are those that say he can be an eventual starter in the league, he will be a project and require some developing. He has a very unconventional grip of the ball and his mechanics will need some tweaking, but he has outstanding arm strength.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #2
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah
Default Re: Pittsburgh Steelers report: 2009 NFL Mock Draft

I could live with this all except Coffman... wasted pick IMO.
And Nate Davis will not even be close to being there in the 7th...
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

I'd be quite happy with this.

I don't know if Navarre can add the weight needed to be a NT. If he turned out to be a DE backup that's excellent production from the 6th round anyway.

I'd be all for trading Spaeth for a draft pick and then drafting a replacement. No point in having a TE who can't block.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:06 AM   #4
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279

Wait if we got Maola from USC would he play DE or DT?
Old 04-24-2009, 02:19 AM   #5
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i don't mind the chase coffman pick.. he can sure catch the ball real good.. and u get him to block.. he could take over spaeth's job and he go bye bye...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:50 AM   #6
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
i don't mind the chase coffman pick.. he can sure catch the ball real good.. and u get him to block.. he could take over spaeth's job and he go bye bye...
Where does it say Chase Coffman?
Old 04-24-2009, 04:15 AM   #7
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,908 Times in 1,639 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindSteelCurtain View Post
Where does it say Chase Coffman?
It has them taking him in the 5th.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:26 AM   #8
SunshineMan21
Starter

Member Number: 9294

I was under the impression we were looking at Moala as a 3-4 DE, not a NT.
SunshineMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:05 AM   #9
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

I like this draft.

Coffman was a high projection until injuries this season I believe. For a 5th he would be great value. ( Travis Beckum and Coffman are going to be good receiving TE's in the NFL IMO. Blocking may be an issue?)

Navarre is the only pick that surprised me - but the rest are regularly thrown around on many boards as potential steeler type players.