Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-23-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Cornerback in their draft pockets?

(Mods not sure if this should go in the War Room or not since it talks about both draft picks and current players. Feel free to move it if you wish. - mesa)

Cornerback in their draft pockets?
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_622058.html#
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, April 24, 2009

Eight of the 30 college prospects who visited the Steelers this month were cornerbacks.

Such attention to one position is not the only reason to think the Steelers may use their top draft pick on a cornerback for the first time in over a decade.

The Steelers also lost cornerback Bryant McFadden to free agency - he is the only starter from the Super Bowl-winning team that won't return at this point - and this is shaping up as a good year for teams with a need at corner.

Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said the draft, which will be held Saturday and Sunday, is deep in cornerbacks.

"Maybe not (for) the top-end, glitzy kind of guys," Colbert said, "but there's more corners that are going to be able to be contributors."

The possibility that no cornerbacks will be taken in the top half of the first round means there should be plenty of quality ones available when the Steelers make the 32nd overall pick.

It seems like a foregone conclusion that the Steelers will take at least one cornerback in the draft.

They have high hopes for William Gay, who will get the first crack at replacing McFadden in the starting lineup. But even if the third-year man makes a successful jump from part-time starter to full-time regular, the Steelers could use depth at the position.

And they may need a replacement soon for nickel back Deshea Townsend, who is 33 and heading into his 12th NFL season.

Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau has said the proliferation of pass-happy offenses in college football has better prepared cornerbacks for the NFL. That is not to say the transition to the NFL is an easy one since the position can be so emotionally taxing.

"Sometimes a talented young guy can come in, and inevitably they're going to get beat by the really good ones," New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin said. "They're going to have to come back and play the next play. Sometimes emotionally they're not as prepared for that."

Cornerbacks need skin as thick as a phone book since their mistakes are evident even to those with only a basic knowledge of football.

"What have you done for me lately?" Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor said. "That's what cornerback is all about."

The Steelers, who haven't drafted a cornerback in the first round since 1997 when they selected Chad Scott, got Taylor (2003) and Townsend (1998) in the fourth round. They picked Gay near the bottom of the fifth round in 2007.

If the Steelers wait until after the first round to take a cornerback, they should be able to find one who can help them.

"There are a number guys who are No. 2 and No. 3 corners in this draft," Atlanta Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said. "It's a hefty group as far as numbers go."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:23 AM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Cornerback in their draft pockets?

Hey.. take a OL and a DL in the first two rounds... I am willing to see a CB in the third round.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:02 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,519 Times in 1,100 Posts

If they take one in the first I am ok with it but I wish they would wait to the later rounds to get one. There is alot of talent in the first round who knows who we will go with.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:24 AM   #4
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

I was listening to NFL radio yesterday, and they said that if Braylon Edwards and Anquan Boldin get traded before the start of the draft, a top notch WR will fall into our laps in the first round. And you know we'll grab the best player available.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:41 AM   #5
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560

Quote:
"There are a number guys who are No. 2 and No. 3 corners in this draft," Atlanta Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said. "It's a hefty group as far as numbers go."
That's good news. Maybe we can find another Ike Taylor in the 3rd or 4th round.
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,303 Times in 649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyychoward86 View Post
Good year for teams with a need at corner? I think that's a bit controversial. But with our coaching staff, im sure we can make any corner we pick up look good, sooner or later.
Yeah, I think the concensus is there are a lot of good corners in the draft, but not a lot of great ones. Last year there were Rogers-Cromartie, McKelvin, Talib .......but this year there are no clear great CB prospects like that.

Its why I am all over waiting and getting a guy like Mike Mickens, Donald Washington or Keenan Lewis in the 3rd round.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:27 AM   #7
MongoSteeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13096

Look for the Steelers to come up with a 7th round CB or to sign an undrafted CB right after the draft who will be a relative unknown. I think the signing of Ratliff was the insurace policy to allow this to happen. They have someone on the radar they think needs a year or two to develope.
MongoSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:53 AM   #8
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Just because we're bringing in guys at CB doesn't mean we'll take one early. We'll probably get one somewhere as a prospect, but on the first day, I expect us to go something like OL/DL, LB, OL/DL. It's nice that we have like 20 good defensive backs already.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:35 AM   #9
Steeldude
Living Legend

is there even a CB worth taking at 32? seems to me you can find the same talent on the second day.

the steelers need OL or DL. please, anything but a WR in the first round....again.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,093 Times in 764 Posts

I don't care what position - we should be so lucky to get a stud like Woodley in the 2nd round again.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote