Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 04-25-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106
Default Why Today Sucked

I figured I'd get the ball rolling on why today was so disappointing.

It's not what you think...

Soon, the WTFers will emerge and the entire Steelers FO will surely be on the chopping clock.

There are some things I would have LIKED to see happen today, but it didn't. No big deal. I'm a fan with an admittedly modest knowledge (in comparison to some of the people around here) of all of these prospects.

I am also sub-par at talent evaluation when compared to the guys who... you know... get paid to do it and win Super Bowls doing it (i.e. Colbert).

Being a Steelers fan, I know how the draft goes: unsexy.

So why am I feeling so unsatisfied?

The truth is the Steelers didn't suck today.

The offseason did.

The draft is probably such a big deal because of when it occurs.

It is really the one big moment of the football year that has barely any football before it and barely any football after it.

People are so deprived of Pittsburgh Steelers football that it's almost impossible to accept that we walked away from day one of the draft with a single DL that many think we reached for.

Maybe we did reach for Ziggy, but where are you supposed to get defensive linemen? It's not like the Steelers should expect to be picking in the top 10 in the next decade.

For many, the actual draft will never live up to the EXPECTATION of the draft.

So don't hate on the Steelers... hate on the process.... the offseason sucks.

Bottom line? The Steelers are lined up to get some quality talent for DEPTH.

I would be terrified if we were drafting three guys in the third round to step in and start week one. Terrified.

But, they won't be.

The coaching staff and veterans will have time to take these guys (and Hood) and teach them what being a Steeler is all about.

Some will be busts. Some won't.

The front office has proven itself. If you are getting geared up for an unwarranted flame... Stop... Think about this post... and be glad you're not a Raiders fan.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517
Default Re: Why Today Sucked

Ain't much flash, but it's always solid.

I'm starting to like the Hood pick though, the more I think about it. I think he'll be a great addition for us.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

our flashy time is the Super Bowl.. let teams like the Browns enjoy their moment in the spotlight during the offseason. i could really care less what we do in the offseason any more.. i no longer get upset if we sign or cut a player, or pass on a free agent.. because i know in the end, more often than not, it is the right decision... and there is not a front office in the NFL i trust more than the Steelers' FO.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

I know what you are saying,but still I don't think that it was a reach for Hood in the first.But I did wish that we could've traded a late round pick to move up with the Giants to get William Beaty.You know just like a 5th or something.Then we could have adressed O-line and D-line today and still had a good draft tommorrow.
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

I have learned over the Years that the Steelers know what they are doing. Their draft picks don't seem that great when they make them all the time but 3 years after the draft you find out the reason why they pick who they do.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulldog24 View Post
I know what you are saying,but still I don't think that it was a reach for Hood in the first.But I did wish that we could've traded a late round pick to move up with the Giants to get William Beaty.You know just like a 5th or something.Then we could have adressed O-line and D-line today and still had a good draft tommorrow.
Yea but if we would have traded up to get Beatty we wouldnt have 3 3rd rounders tomorrow. There is still a lot of talent on the board.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
billybob
Banned

Member Number: 5364

I'll toast to the front office , even though i was anticipating that second pick , the draft ended , at least for us today. That did suck a bit . I have always believed we are in the refreshing mode . Just the signing of all our o-lineman gave me a hint of what to expect in this draft. So far , so good . Tomlin has got to have at least a finger in this pie. Our organization is a model of durability , and we have never let up since the great "Chuck Knoll " came to town . I love the way our team goes about business as usual. I think it may be time to start thinking about # 7 .
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
Dr. Steel
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 10996

I love the draft and the draft never sucks to me. I also like the pick of Ziggy Hood even though I wanted Gilbert at 32.lol

Ziggy seems like a Steeler type player and will instantly upgrade our inside pass rush in our sub package defenses. I'm confident that our coaches can mold Hood into a 3-4 DE that can maybe play some NT at times. Plus learning from the best 3-4 DE in the NFL in Aaron Smith isn't a bad thing.

The Steelers also have three third round picks. Caldwell, Mike Thomas, Duke Robinson, Fenuki Tupou, are players still out there for the taking.
Dr. Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:08 PM   #9
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

I'm happy with the pick. If you're drafting 32nd you don't have any glaring short-term needs. (The OL leaves something to be desired but we overcame that).

It's nice to go for a mid to long-term need. Big Snack is getting old and broken down, so we can start grooming Ziggy to replace him
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,994 Times in 3,418 Posts

ziggy will replace a. smith or b. keisel. he4 will need a year to groom, and its a year we can afford to offer. its the steelers way.

it also adds incentive to the others to play up to their best and prove their worth.

plus, i think he was BPA. (regardless if the talking heads thought he was more perfect as a 4-3 DT)