Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
The Definiti0n
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13192
Default Welcome A.Q. Shipley

YES YES YES YES YES

I am now happy with this drat
Old 04-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Welcome A.Q. Shipley (C)

A.Q. Shipley (C)
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 304
College: Penn State
Conference: Big 10
Hometown: Coraopolis, PA
High School: Moon Area
View Combine Page >>

Combine Results:
40 Yard Dash : 5.26 seconds
Bench Press : 33.0 reps
Vertical Jump : 31.0 inches
Broad Jump : 100.0 inches
3 Cone Drill : 7.46 seconds
20 Yard Shuttle : 4.4 seconds

Featured Prospects

Overview

The first center to serve as team captain since Barry Tielsch in 1996, Shipley had a banner senior campaign for the Nittany Lions. In addition to being named the recipient of the Rimington Trophy, given to college football's best center, he became the 92nd player in school history to be named a first-team All-American.

Shipley proved to be a tough competitor, anchoring a front wall that led the Big Ten Conference and ranked fourth in the nation for fewest quarterback sacks allowed (1.00 spg). That stellar protection allowed PSU to generate 243.08 passing yards per game, the third-best total in the league.

A respected team leader, Shipley is an intense and physical presence on the line. He is also one of the squad's most engaging personalities and played a jovial Santa Claus at the team's bowl game Christmas party during the 2005 and '06 seasons. An accomplished golfer, he graduated last December with a degree in Labor and Industrial Relations.

At Moon Area High School, Shipley was a standout defensive lineman in four seasons with the varsity. He was a member of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Fabulous 22, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Terrific 25, and the Harrisburg Patriot-News Platinum 33 squads and also played in the 2004 "Big 33" Classic. As a senior, he helped the squad reach the Western Pennsylvania District Class AAA semifinals after winning the Parkway Conference title.

Shipley recorded 53 tackles as a senior, including 13 for loss and three sacks, as he also forced two fumbles. He ended his career with 243 tackles, 41 for loss and 13 sacks. He also was a three-year starter in basketball and was a two-year captain of the football and basketball teams.

In 2004, Shipley competed on the Penn State scout team as a defensive tackle. The following year, he shuttled between the offensive and defensive lines. He moved to center in 2005 spring drills, providing depth there and at offensive guard the first half of the season. Prior to the Illinois game, he went back to defensive tackle, making five tackles with two sacks the remainder of the season, participating in 226 snaps for the 2005 campaign.

In 2006, Shipley secured a starting job at center, competing in 897 plays. He tallied 54 knockdowns with seven touchdown resulting blocks and also recorded a solo tackle vs. Northwestern. PSU's offense managed to average 349.92 yards per game, as the offensive line allowed only 23 sacks.

As a junior, Shipley was named to the All-Big Ten Conference first-team by the league's coaches and was a candidate for the Rimington Trophy. He registered 76 knockdowns that included nine touchdown-resulting blocks. He made ESPN's All-Bowl team, experiencing every lineman's dream, as he caught a deflected pass for a 4-yard gain vs. Texas A&M in the Alamo Bowl. Behind his block-calling, he helped the team rank third in the Big Ten Conference in rushing (193.77 ypg), as the Nittany Lions also amassed 5,201 yards in total offense.

In 2008, Penn State's offense was explosive, thanks to the stellar play of its senior-laden front wall. The Big Ten Conference's Offensive Lineman of the Year recorded 11 touchdown-resulting blocks to go with 78 knockdowns. The team finished as the league leader in pass efficiency (145.35 rating), total offense (448.92 ypg) and points scored (38.92 ppg).

High School

Attended Moon Area (Coraopolis, Pa.) High school, playing football for head coach Mark Capuano...Standout defensive lineman in four seasons with the varsity...Member of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Fabulous 22, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Terrific 25, and the Harrisburg Patriot-News Platinum 33 squads...Played in the 2004 "Big 33" Classic...As a senior, he helped the squad reach the Western Pennsylvania District Class AAA semifinals after winning the Parkway Conference title...Recorded 53 tackles as a senior, including 13 for loss and three sacks, as he also forced two fumbles...Ended his career with 243 tackles, 41 for loss and 13 sacks...Three-year starter in basketball and was a two-year captain of the football and basketball teams.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196
Default Re: Welcome A.Q. Shipley (C)

Awsome...I can't believe he lasted this long.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Nice pick....They have been looking at him all off season. I figured he was gone.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

I really think that the Steelers have done an awesome job in this draft helping our team getting depth and players that can make a difference here for our Steelers. I think Shipley is a steal in the 7th round for sure and I hope that he comes in gives the Steelers some major compittion at Center. Mel Kiper just said he could turn out to be a Poor Mans Mike Webster and you dont get much better than that..
Old 04-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
Kaeg
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5784
Default Re: Welcome A.Q. Shipley

Well, I've heard the name for a long time, so it's not shocking that we were interested in him, but after reading this article it looks as if he should not have lasted this long. Quite a resume.
Kaeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
Da Steeler Soprano
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3285

YES! I cant wait to see Shipley in the Black and Gold...I really think we got our next great center of the future!

"If I could live my life over I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert
Da Steeler Soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

I'll bet his family in Moon Twp "over the moon"! Welcome home AQ. Make us proud!
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

"A poor man's Mike Webster, Very strong, short armed, a battler." - Mel Kiper
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
The Definiti0n
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13192

We add depth and some nastiness to our O-Line.