Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-10-2006, 09:35 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,177 Times in 2,657 Posts
Default steelers win cointoss vs. colts

who do you want to take the field first. offense or defense?
i say give the colts the ball. i definitely dont want to see the colts with the ball on the final drive of the 1st half and get it back again after the half.

the defense is the heart and soul of the steelers, so let them get out there and establish something. if the colts score, i really think it gives ben a little more focus on the task at hand. if the colts dont score the offense can go out a little relaxed with a tiny bit of confidence that the defense has its back. either way i think this is better than going out there on offense and not scoring the 1st drive. that can make the offense and defense start pressing just a little bit.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: steelers win cointoss vs. colts

Personally I think you always take the ball if you win the toss.

The best way Pittsburgh can quieten that Indy crowd is for a 5/6 min drive ending in 3 or 7 points - the Colts D is the teams weakness not the 'O'.

You have to have faith in your offense in the playoffs - Pittsburgh has enough tools to put points on that Colts D.

Im sure you could easily argue both sides of this argument though.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

If we win the toss. Take offense. Chew up as much clock as possible against the Colts. End the drive with a TD, quiet the crowd in that.......dome.......that teams play....football in. Just my preference.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 01-10-2006 at 09:45 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:52 AM   #4
Avoid Lloyd
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Personally I think you always take the ball if you win the toss.

The best way Pittsburgh can quieten that Indy crowd is for a 5/6 min drive ending in 3 or 7 points - the Colts D is the teams weakness not the 'O'.
Well said.
Avoid Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:55 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,177 Times in 2,657 Posts

like litp said there are argument for both sides, and im sure stats have been compiled. i think its really interresting how something as simple as a cointoss, which is really ballanced out by giving the other team the ball for the next half can be scrutinized and twisted to an actuall strategy.

this takes me back to the early 90's steelers and their last sb run. for 1, rod woodson was the captain and ALWAYS called tails- "tails never fails". now the steelers primarily always call heads. for home games that defense was the main attraction in pittsburgh, and they loved taking the field first, demoralizing the opponents offense, playing to get the ball in the final 2 minutes and going into the 2 minute drill which they ran real well, then getting the ball again right after the half. in indy there is no question that the offense is the main attraction and i think shutting them down on the 1st drive would do a little more to take the crowd out of it, especially if we then convert on our first drive.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:22 AM   #6
Grey
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 727

I think you gotta take offense first if given the chance. We absolutely MUST get some points on the board early. Like LivinInThePast said, a nice long clock burning drive to start things off could do a lot for the outcome of this game.

I really, really hope we can get the running game going.

Here we go.
Grey
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:05 AM   #7
workhorse
Water Boy

Member Number: 866

I saw a stat the other day, I don't remember the exact numbers though, that said the Colts lead the league on scoring with their opening possession. If the Colts get up early it does two things. First, it makes the Steelers have to alter their gameplan a bit. Second, it allows the Colts' defense to pin their ears back. Freeney, Mathis and the boys are much more dangerous when they play pass first.
workhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #8
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

I'd say let's go with the offense first. Last time around we didn't really score that many points. You gotta believe our offense is eager to show we can score and put up points on a team like the Colts.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:54 AM   #9
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey
I think you gotta take offense first if given the chance. We absolutely MUST get some points on the board early. Like LivinInThePast said, a nice long clock burning drive to start things off could do a lot for the outcome of this game.

I really, really hope we can get the running game going.

Here we go.
Grey

The other side of that coin(no pun intended)is that the Steeler defense can't give up any cheap and or fast scores.
The Steelers lose in a quick shootout battle but they stand a good chance if they can make the Colts offense grind out their drives and maybe hold them a few times for nothing better than a FG.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:59 AM   #10
Justin Otstott
Team Captain

Member Number: 539
My Mood: Relaxed

hard to say I mean I would let our D go first but against the Colts is kind of risky. Not sure.