Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-27-2009, 07:17 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default This time, Steelers made picks for needs

This time, Steelers made picks for needs
PITTSBURGH - The Steelers ignored need in the 2008 draft, selecting players they felt were the best available athlete in each round.
http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/...ft-wrap-column

Need was a determining factor in this year's draft.

Running back Rashard Mendenhall, wide receiver Limas Sweed and linebacker Bruce Davis were considered luxury picks in 2008, not expected to play right away. Mendenhall and Sweed will be expected to contribute more in 2009 after not playing much as rookies.

The same could be said of the 2007 draft class, which saw only punter Daniel Sepulveda get significant playing time.

This year, the Steelers entered the draft on a mission. Needing to add depth on the defensive and offensive lines, cornerback and wide receiver, director of football operations Kevin Colbert said before the draft this was a critical weekend for the team.

Because Pittsburgh hasn't been very active in free agency, it was important to bring in quality young players to add to a talented, but aging, roster.

The Steelers felt they were able to do that, especially after dealing their second- and fourth-round picks to Denver for a pair of third-round selections.

"I thought it was critical last night, when we decided to go with three (third-round picks) and have four picks in the top 96 players," said head coach Mike Tomlin.

"We were excited to be able to do that and get some quality. We feel like we did that with four players in the first three rounds in areas that we wanted to get players."

The first round brought defensive end Ziggy Hood, and the Steelers added another defensive lineman, Oregon's Ra'Shon "Sonny" Harris in the sixth round.

Those two will be added to a roster that includes five defensive linemen who are 30 or older. Neither will be expected to play a lot right away.

"Casey (Hampton) is the only guy that has come here and played consistently for us his first year," said defensive line-assistant head coach John Mitchell. "There's a learning curve for a guy to come here and play in our scheme."

While much of the focus will be on Hood because he's the top pick, it will be the three third-round selections who make, or break, this draft.

The three third-round selections - guard Kraig Urbik, wide receiver-kick returner Mike Wallace and cornerback Keenan Lewis - are expected to push for playing time right away.

The Steelers expect Urbik to battle Darnell Stapleton for the starting right guard spot, and Wallace will be in the mix for the third receiver - helping offset the loss of Nate Washington - and return man. Lewis could push for playing time in the nickel and dime packages, as could Joe Burnett, another corner who was selected in the fifth round.

This could be a different situation from Tomlin's first two years as coach, when rookies didn't see a lot of playing time, regardless of when they were drafted.

"We're not going to anoint anyone or hand jobs to anyone; they've got to earn it," said Tomlin. "Part of them doing that is having an opportunity. There haven't been many opportunities for some of our young people (in previous years) because our veterans have been so solid. ... In order for somebody to appreciate what this league is about, they've got to earn it.

"What's happened here in recent years is not an indication of what's going to happen with these young men. Maybe some men in this group are not enamored by the transition and maybe they'll be on the field for us because of it."

But necessity can make you do things you wouldn't normally do.

F. Dale Lolley can be reached at dlolley@observer-reporter.com

Copyright Observer Publishing Co.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628
Default Re: This time, Steelers made picks for needs

Bout time that they addressed the lines! Hopefully, the picks pan out but I give them kudos for drafting for those needs especially!
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

If half these guys can make the roster and get some playing time I will be happy.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,115 Posts

I am just so happy we didnt end up with Max Unger, Herman Johnson or Tyson Jackson.

If u told me our first 3 picks would be Hood, Urbik and Lewis.......I would have said it would be a solid first 3 rounds.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

So we did NOT go BPA?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
So we did NOT go BPA?
In this draft - who could tell who was BPA? It was weak.

Did you not see kiper and the other "experts" staring into space with a dazed look on the faces? They were clueless.

We took the BPA for spots on OUR roster that could be filled by rookies with a chance to come in and actually make the team and get some playing time.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
So we did NOT go BPA?
I dont think so. I think Maualuga, Laurinitis, Darius Butler were better available players than Hood.

Duke Robinson was better than Joe Burnett, but we already selected Urbik.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

I think the Steelers had a solid draft in my opinion. I think the Defensive line being drafted no.1 had to be unless a top tackle fell to us or C Alex Mack and I really think that the Steelers are set at that spot with what we have and the addition of Shipley should help out very much as well.
I think the Steelers did a nice job of trying to fix a dismal return game on kickoffs and punts in this draft as well. I would have to give the Steelers a B+ on their draft, but these are just my opinions..
Old 04-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
Give It To Abercrombie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8199

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I am just so happy we didnt end up with Max Unger, Herman Johnson or Tyson Jackson.

If u told me our first 3 picks would be Hood, Urbik and Lewis.......I would have said it would be a solid first 3 rounds.
Absolutely. Not a single sexy pick this year but I am either happy or content with every pick from top to bottom.