Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Re: Draft Steals

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindSteelCurtain View Post
Gilbert you think? I don't think he is that good. Everyone just assumes he is good becuase he can jump out of a pool.
I assume he is good because he had 52 tackles (36 solos), led the nation with 22 stops for losses and had 9.5 sacks.

He has had no character issues....He beat Tyson Jackson in virtually every category at the Combine...and he has NFL bloodlines with his father having played for the Saints.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:04 PM   #12
sjsmvp95
Water Boy

Member Number: 13509

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
I assume he is good because he had 52 tackles (36 solos), led the nation with 22 stops for losses and had 9.5 sacks.

He has had no character issues....He beat Tyson Jackson in virtually every category at the Combine...and he has NFL bloodlines with his father having played for the Saints.
Thank you!! Jarron Gilbert was definitely the biggest steal of the draft. I have a strong feeling he will outproduce Tyson Jackson and Ziggy Hood - and be a better professional while at it. I like the Steelers, probably my 3rd favorite team..and I went to San Jose State and I was praying for the Steelers to pick Jarron in the 2nd, oh well we'll all see how it works out soon enough.
sjsmvp95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #13
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindSteelCurtain View Post
Gilbert you think? I don't think he is that good. Everyone just assumes he is good becuase he can jump out of a pool.
See the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post

Thanks LLT, I couldn't have explained it better.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #14
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

Everrette Brown falling to the 2nd round
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:04 AM   #15
taztroy43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13325

The biggest draft steals in the 2009 NFL Draft are MLB Rey Maualuga and DE/OLB Micheal Johnson!!!!.....Rey Maualuga went in the 2nd round after being projected in the mid 1st!!!!.....and Micheal Johnson was a steal in the 3rd after being projected going maybe in the late 1st early 2nd......man....we had a shot at Maualuga, he is way better than Laurinatis.......and Micheal Johnson was the best player available as well as Jarron Gilbert in the 3rd....they shouldn't of traded down to pick Urbik.... I agree with the Mike Wallace pick, he can fly a 6'1" WR running a 4.33 40.....hes FAST!!! he's gunna help out on the return game as well as stretching the field as a WR.....I also agree with CB Keenan Lewis...a 6'1" corner whos really physical and ran a high 4.4......he reminds me of Ike's physicality and his physical nature....but Ike Taylor is way faster.....but he's gunna be a good one IMO.......
taztroy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:14 AM   #16
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by taztroy43 View Post
The biggest draft steals in the 2009 NFL Draft are MLB Rey Maualuga and DE/OLB Micheal Johnson!!!!.....Rey Maualuga went in the 2nd round after being projected in the mid 1st!!!!.....and Micheal Johnson was a steal in the 3rd after being projected going maybe in the late 1st early 2nd......man....we had a shot at Maualuga, he is way better than Laurinatis.......and Micheal Johnson was the best player available as well as Jarron Gilbert in the 3rd....they shouldn't of traded down to pick Urbik.... I agree with the Mike Wallace pick, he can fly a 6'1" WR running a 4.33 40.....hes FAST!!! he's gunna help out on the return game as well as stretching the field as a WR.....I also agree with CB Keenan Lewis...a 6'1" corner whos really physical and ran a high 4.4......he reminds me of Ike's physicality and his physical nature....but Ike Taylor is way faster.....but he's gunna be a good one IMO.......
I agree that we should have seriously considered Maualuga, but they were really targeting Hood and I think they made the right choice.

Michael Johnson is soft. He's not a Steeler player. And we would have to move him to OLB and I'm not sure how that transition would go for him as he already struggles to produce sometimes at his natural position of DE. He does have a lot of potential for the Bengals, though.

I would have really looked at making the pick for Jarron Gilbert with our second round pick, but I think we really did need a guard.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #17
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by taztroy43 View Post
man....we had a shot at Maualuga, he is way better than Laurinatis.......
Short term/long term, who helps your team more, Rey Rey or Ziggy? I would much rather the Steelers have gotten Rey Rey, because I think Ziggy is the answer to both of those questions. In the short term, Rey Rey was (at best) a special teamer, in the long term, he's a two-down LB...which means that he has to replace the guy replacing Foote. I just don't see that happening by a 2-down LB.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #18
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Rey Maualuga had zero shot of playing for the B&G. Character counts, and he ended up playing for the perfect team for a guy with his character questions...
Old 04-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #19
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i'm gonna have 2 go with my boy and some other ppl picks on here as rashad jennings...

knowing him and watching him for the past yr i think he is rly going to help offset mjd and the running game for the jags...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:40 AM   #20
taztroy43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13325

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
I agree that we should have seriously considered Maualuga, but they were really targeting Hood and I think they made the right choice.

Michael Johnson is soft. He's not a Steeler player. And we would have to move him to OLB and I'm not sure how that transition would go for him as he already struggles to produce sometimes at his natural position of DE. He does have a lot of potential for the Bengals, though.

I would have really looked at making the pick for Jarron Gilbert with our second round pick, but I think we really did need a guard.

Your right about Johnson he doesn't have that blue collar mentality to be a Steeler.....but he does have that Bengal/Raider mentality for sure....lol.....but n-e wayz he's a hell of a specimen...but i hope he doesn't live up 2 his potential especially because hes w/the bengals....I would not of mind if they got Jarron in the 2nd but the thing on him is his game intensity(motor n toughness to be a DLmen in the NFL)...He's a great athlete and I wanted the Steelers to pick him up but the thing was that they already addressed the DL with Ziggy Hood....that guy is a Steeler type guy....a guy that always plays with high intensity!....hopefully it pans out in the long run....but man Maulaluga would of been something else for the Steelers but lets hope they did the right thing by addressing the Aging DL....but Ziggy has a lot of potential @ DT or DE...we just gotta wait and see what happens.....all in all I think they addressed most if not all of they're needs.....
taztroy43 is offline   Reply With Quote