Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-27-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers meet with free agent WR Lelie

Steelers meet with free agent WR Lelie
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_622571.html#
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Unrestricted free agent Ashley Lelie, among the top deep receiving threats in the NFL, met with Steelers officials Monday and could sign with the team, agent Peter Schaffer said.

"He had a great visit. The Steelers and I are going to continue to have open dialogue," Schaffer said. "I think there's some mutual interest, and we're going to keep discussing it."

A former first-round draft pick by Denver, Lelie's play experienced a sharp decline after being traded to Atlanta in 2006. Lelie demanded a trade after Denver acquired receiver Javon Walker.

From 2002-05 with the Broncos, Lelie (6-foot-3, 195 pounds) had 168 receptions and 12 touchdowns, with an impressive one-fourth of his catches 42 longer than 25 yards. His best season in 2004 produced 54 catches for 1,084 yards and seven touchdowns.

In seven pro seasons, Lelie, 29, a tall, rangy receiver with sprinter's speed, has averaged 17.3 yards per catch.

However, during the past three seasons with Atlanta, San Francisco and Oakland, Lelie had a total of 49 catches and three TDs. He missed the last four games in 2008 with Oakland because of a calf injury.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said the Steelers are seeking a replacement for Nate Washington, who was prominent in three-wide receiver sets, and that recent third-round draft pick Mike Wallace will compete for the job.

"We'll just throw him in the mix and the best ones will come out," Arians said of Wallace. "He's a very capable player for that."

Wallace will have to beat out 2008 second-round draft pick Limas Sweed, who will also compete at No. 3 receiver. Neither player has Lelie's track record for making big plays against NFL defenses.

"It was a very productive day for Ashley," Schaffer said. "The Steelers, I think, came away with the same opinion, and we're going to keep an open line of communication."

Rooney wins writers' award

The Professional Football Writers Association of America honored Steelers owner Dan Rooney with its Horrigan Award yesterday, given to the person (not a player or team public relations staffer) who helped the media best do their job last season.

He was joined by Arizona quarterback Kurt Warner (Good Guy Award), Tampa Bay kicker Matt Bryant (Halas Award), the Arizona media relations staff (Rozelle Award) and Sports Illustrated writer Peter King (McCann Award) as honorees.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552
Default Re: Steelers meet with free agent WR Lelie

Ya knew they was gonna find a vetern to compete with all this young guys.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

WOW. This is a big surprise to me. If Steeler fans were annoyed by Washington's "bad" hands - they're going to HATE Lelie's.

Also, he's had some character issues. I actually like him as player, even though he drops 50% of what is thrown at him, but with the character issues I'm surprised they are looking at Lelie.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

I must admit I'm a little surprised by this as well. It seems the FO is more concerned about our receiving corp than I realized.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

ugh, Lelie sucks!!

I say stick with the young guys. Ward, Holmes, Sweed, Baker, Nance, Wallace sounds nice to me
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post

Also, he's had some character issues. I actually like him as player, even though he drops 50% of what is thrown at him, but with the character issues I'm surprised they are looking at Lelie.
what are these supposed character issues? ive watched alot of denver games and never came across the impression that he had a case of the "dropsies".

atleast not like the "butterfingers" robinson or "hands of stone" jackson, the seattle bunch ran out a few years back.

lelie and m. furrey are to cheap veteran prospects i would have no problem looking at either of them (cheaper than j. galloway) but not at the expense of pissing away m. wallace.

im thinking the steelers have already come to the conclusion that nance and baker may not be the answer (just like g. russel wasnt at rb).

nothing wrong with that. thats just how the business works.

as far as im concerned, d. baker can go out there and challenge w. reid or c. wilson for a roster spot.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:58 PM   #7
ricksteelers55
Team Captain

Member Number: 3104

As a big fan of the UH Warriors,Id love to see Ashley signing with Steelers,but honnestly I'm not sure it will materialized...
ricksteelers55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:15 AM   #8
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
what are these supposed character issues? ive watched alot of denver games and never came across the impression that he had a case of the "dropsies".
He cried his way out of Denver and I'm pretty sure had a DUI a few years ago. Those aren't necessarily huge character issues, but for the Steelers I think it's a significant mark. Then again, they are talking to him.

As far as drops, if you watched a lot of games then I'm shocked you disagree. He was basically run out of Atlanta and San Francisco because he couldn't hold onto the ball.

Everything considered I'd rather pick up Furrey if management feels we need help that badly at receiver.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:33 AM   #9
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Relaxed

Once again looking for camp bodies. Lelie is not worth wasting our time on but he might make Sweed get his act together. Sweed needs to be pushed into being great. If he is not up to it, he will be gone just like Willie Reid.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:35 AM   #10
Florida_Steelers_Fan
Starter

Member Number: 4759

the more competition the better...

bring him in (if the price is right) and let him compete...