Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 04-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Pittsburgh Steeler report: Quarterback tops ten non-drafted free agent signings

Pittsburgh Steeler report: Quarterback tops ten non-drafted free agent signings
April 28, 2:32 AM · Add a Comment

Matt Pawlikowski
Go to Matt's Home Page

Pittsburgh Sports Examiner

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...agent-signings

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers have added ten players to their roster thus far as non-drafted free-agents.
Perhaps the most interesting of the ten is Central Washington quarterback Mike Reilly. The product of a D-II school, ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski called him very good.AP file photo/ Mike Reilly has the potential to make the roster and push for the third slot

“His wasn’t the easiest tape in the world to get,” Jaworski told USA Today. “I just saw an NFL quarterback. This is a guy who has (Tom) Brady-like attributes.”

Reilly, stands 6 feet 3, 215 pounds and completed 64 percent of his passes over his four years as a starter for 12,448 yards, 118 touchdowns and only 40 interceptions. He broke NFL quarterback Jon Kitna's record for passing yards.

Another D-II guy to watch is linebacker Tom Korte from Hillsdale College. A priority free-agent signee, Korte distinguished himself as one of the best linebackers in the 117-year history of Hillsdale College football during his career that spanned from 2005-08.

He led the team in tackles three times, was named the team's most outstanding linebacker three times, and was tabbed First-Team All-GLIAC three times. He is also a two-time team MVP and All-Region linebacker. Korte had 18.5 tackles for loss and 114 tackles in 2008.

The Steelers also signed another linebacker, and he comes from an interesting pedigree as he was coached by former NFL mentor Jerry Glanville.

Andy Schantz, a third-team Associated Press All-American, led Portland State with 115 tackles, had 15 tackles for loss and nine pass breakups in 2008. He is the third Viking linebacker in as many years to join an NFL team (Jordan Senn, Colts, 2008; Adam Hayward, Buccaneers, 2007

The team also brought in a safety as New Mexico State's Derrick Richardson is also intriguing. He led the nation in tackles per game last season, averaging 12.5 a game.

He finished his career with 318 tackles including and had eight games this year with double digit tackles.

Included in that lot of Steeler free agent signings are two wide receivers, Tyler Grisham of Clemson and Demiko Goodman of Georgia.

Grisham is 5'10 and has been touted as a good possession wideout who can turn a completion into a big gain with yards after catch. Goodman had just ten receptions for 129 yards, but is a track star who ran a 21.8 200 meter.

The Steelers also signed Tennessee tackle Ramon Foster. Foster is 6'6, 335 pounds and two local guys as longsnapper Mark Estermyer (Pitt), and also local Kevin McCabe of Pine Richland (Virginia) also signed with the team.

HOOD PAYS SOUTH SIDE FIRST VISIT

As custom over the years, the Steelers brought in first round pick Evander 'Ziggy' Hood and introduced him to the world on Monday.

What Pittsburgh fans found out is the team not only got themselves a quality player, but also a quality person.

"I know the Steelers are known in history for having a good defense and other than that a tough offense," Hood said. “Other than that, I pretty much good to go and ready to come in here and work."

Asked about himself as a player, he had this to say.

"I know I may not be one of the strongest, fastest or quickest defensive tackles out there,” Hood said. "But I can be a credit to myself and make a lot of plays for the backside of the ball."

ROONEY HONORED

Steelers owner Dan Rooney was honored with the Professional Football Writers Association of America with its Horrigan Award yesterday, given to the person (not a player or team public relations staffer) who helped the media best do their job last season.

LELIE IN FOR A VISIT

Oakland Raider free- agent Ashley Lelie met with Steelers officials Monday and could sign with the team an NFL source has told Examiner.com.

Lelie, who is 29, has seen limited time on the field the past few years grabbing just 21 balls the past two years, but he possesses a lifetime 17.3 average. His best year was 2004 when he 1,084 yards and averaged over 20 yards per catch. For his career, he has 217 receptions for 3,749 yards.

Steelers sign a kicker

The Steelers have also signed free agent kicker Piotr Czech. Czech was with the Baltimore Ravens last year for training camp. Czech's signing brings the number of free-agents signed by the team to ten.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
tyler289
Team Captain

Member Number: 9049
Default Re: Pittsburgh Steeler report: Quarterback tops ten non-drafted free agent signings

Interesting. QB controversy!!
tyler289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:51 AM   #3
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517
Default Re: Pittsburgh Steeler report: Quarterback tops ten non-drafted free agent signings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289 View Post
Backup QB controversy...

And we're one of the few teams in the NFL who can boast of such an occurrence.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
skepticsightsten
Water Boy

Member Number: 11035

The Steelers do well with the undrafted signings. They look for character over ability sometimes, I think. Which makes sense, as ability can be heightened and taught whereas character does not come cheap at all and, in some cases, can be the key to winning games and having a great team.
skepticsightsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:05 AM   #5
jev7452
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11286

i know jeff reed's contract is up next year but i assumed they would resign him, does czech mean that may not be the case?? i love reed...
Old 04-29-2009, 01:18 AM   #6
skepticsightsten
Water Boy

I think Mr. Reliable's spot is pretty secure. Adding Czech just means that they think he's good and want to give him a chance as a backup. You never know what could happen to a kicker and don't want to have a Mitch Berger situation with FG chances and extra points...
Old 04-29-2009, 01:29 AM   #7
jev7452
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11286

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticsightsten View Post
I think Mr. Reliable's spot is pretty secure. Adding Czech just means that they think he's good and want to give him a chance as a backup. You never know what could happen to a kicker and don't want to have a Mitch Berger situation with FG chances and extra points...
VERY good point.. whats going on in the punter situation by the way..?
Old 04-29-2009, 01:31 AM   #8
skepticsightsten
Water Boy

Sep is coming back I believe. Though Berger ended up doing pretty well towards the very end of the season...
Old 04-29-2009, 01:49 AM   #9
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticsightsten View Post
Sep is coming back I believe. Though Berger ended up doing pretty well towards the very end of the season...
Just exactly when did Berger do well? So glad DS IS BACK.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:51 AM   #10
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289 View Post
Don't jump the gun...The kid is weak armed and not a great athlete.