Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #11
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517
Default Re: Comp. Techies.. give me some help here.

newegg is the best IMO.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #12
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Thanks all.

I am working on putting together a list right now. When I get it all put together... do any of you mind if I put it here and get your comments on it... advice on going this way or that way?
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:44 PM   #13
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Thanks all.

I am working on putting together a list right now. When I get it all put together... do any of you mind if I put it here and get your comments on it... advice on going this way or that way?
Definitely do so! That's how I did mine; put out my parts lists and people gave their comments and advice.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:18 PM   #14
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,321 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Thanks all.

hey your welcome preach !!! if ya need any help installing a sound card, i know just the guy.....

[IMG][/IMG]

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #15
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Thanks all.

No problem - I'll give you the best advice I can
Old 04-29-2009, 06:17 PM   #16
Preacher
Living Legend

Ok....

Is it better to go with 16 gig of ram /800 and a 2 lagtime... or 16 gig of ram /1200 (or so) with 4-6 lag time?

Also, of these processors, which one would you choose? This one or the tad bit slower (and less expensive) this one

Also, I am thinking about going with a card that has the Nvidia 9000 series north bus on it and driving my video right off the card. However, settling on the CPU chip will start to narrow these other questions for me.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #17
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Ok....

Is it better to go with 16 gig of ram /800 and a 2 lagtime... or 16 gig of ram /1200 (or so) with 4-6 lag time?

Also, of these processors, which one would you choose? This one or the tad bit slower (and less expensive) this one

Also, I am thinking about going with a card that has the Nvidia 9000 series north bus on it and driving my video right off the card. However, settling on the CPU chip will start to narrow these other questions for me.
The 1200 has been known to be buggy and has a high failure rate, so I'd go with PC2-8500 RAM (1066 MHz). You should be able to get away with the slightly slower quad core with 16GB of that RAM. As for the video card, I personally am partial to the Radeon HD series, but that's just me. Everyone has their preference. The Nvidia 9000 should more than do the job for you.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #18
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

I'm running dual NVidia 280s as my video card. I'm not real sure that you are going to see too much benefit to 16 gig of Ram vs 6gig. Maybe if you are running graphic intensive programs, but I'm guessing if you are considering using the onboard chip for vid that's not the case.

I would recommend evga.com forums to get some ideas. There are some great discussions on there about the amount of RAM you really need and the quad cores vs the i7.

I think you will be disappointed you didn't go for the i7 if you are really considering building a bleeding edge machine.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100588805 RAM discussion
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100596932 CPU discussion

If you are running 3 monitors, you should spend the $$ on good vid cards. If you want to Xfire or SLI your vid cards, i7 is the way to go.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:43 PM   #19
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
I'm running dual NVidia 280s as my video card. I'm not real sure that you are going to see too much benefit to 16 gig of Ram vs 6gig. Maybe if you are running graphic intensive programs, but I'm guessing if you are considering using the onboard chip for vid that's not the case.

I would recommend evga.com forums to get some ideas. There are some great discussions on there about the amount of RAM you really need and the quad cores vs the i7.

I think you will be disappointed you didn't go for the i7 if you are really considering building a bleeding edge machine.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100588805 RAM discussion
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100596932 CPU discussion

If you are running 3 monitors, you should spend the $$ on good vid cards. If you want to Xfire or SLI your vid cards, i7 is the way to go.
Thanks... I forgot to say,

I am using this system for

1. video conversion (converting things for church service, including youtube clips) and later, making video's to download from our services.

2. I have a MASSIVE CPU hog of a program known as Logos digital library. It doesn't say it is massive, but it really chews up the CPU. I do so much work in it and searches that I want something cutting edge to handle it (basically, I am impatient!)

3. I may get into computer gaming, as my game consol is QUITE old. However, with Madden not available for the PC, I might be second guessing that choice.

For those reasons, The first reason is what makes me think I need a WHOLE lot of ram. The second is what makes me think that quad core will be better.

But I don't know enough... thanks to all for your help, and KEEP IT COMING.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:54 PM   #20
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

I believe your video cards might help with that as well. I think you would be safe with 6 gig of RAM and taking that extra $$ saved on the 10gig of RAM and getting some video cards with significant RAM. Feel free to post in the evga forums though, I don't know much about the program but someone might.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote