Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #31
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Comp. Techies.. give me some help here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
DDR3 is the new GPU hotness so DDR2 is going to come down. Just splurge on the $500 and get a 295!!!
I would if I could. But renewing my Penguins' season tickets are eating a hole in my budget, and I ain't giving those up for a $500 video card! Besides, my everyday needs doesn't justify spending that much money on a video card.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:01 PM   #32
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Also, of these processors, which one would you choose? This one or the tad bit slower (and less expensive) this one
ooh, it's too bad I didn't see this thread earlier; I just built my own machine a few months ago using the Q9550. I have to say, it's an AWESOME CPU and three years from now, you'll be glad you spent the extra money. The i7 is not worth it in my opinion unless you're planning on replacing the processor in a couple years. The i7's they have now are not any better than the best quad cores and they cost a lot more, although I'm sure by 2011 or so, they'll be a noticeable step up in performance.

I'd also definitely recommend getting a motherboard that supports DDR3 memory -- it's going to be worth it. DDR3 has dropped in price by almost half since I built my machine, and it's getting to the point where latency is not an issue. In a year or so, you'll be kicking yourself if you're using DDR2 because your machine will be at a dead-end for upgrading capacity, and DDR3 memory will basically be twice as good for about the same price.

For a graphics card, just make sure it supports DirectX 10 or better and will fit in your motherboard. oh, and make sure you get a big power supply (at least 600W) to run everything, and some good case fans to blow all that heat out.

If it helps at all, here's what I built -- total cost was about $1,000 by getting what I could on sale, and it should be able to easily handle any game or program that comes out in the next five years or so:

CPU: Intel Q9550
Motherboard: Intel DP45SG
RAM: 4GB Patriot DDR3 7-7-7 10666 (may expand to 8GB later)
Hard drive: Western Digital Velociraptor 1000rpm 300GB
Power supply: Zalman 850W
Graphics card: Radeon HD4870
CPU cooler: Thermaltake Silent 775 (but would recommend a Zalman CPU fan/heatsink if you can get it to fit)
Case fans: 3x Thermaltake 72.5CFM, 1x Rexus 42CFM

Plus a CD_RW drive and card reader, which are about a dime a dozen.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #33
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
ooh, it's too bad I didn't see this thread earlier; I just built my own machine a few months ago using the Q9550. I have to say, it's an AWESOME CPU and three years from now, you'll be glad you spent the extra money. The i7 is not worth it in my opinion unless you're planning on replacing the processor in a couple years. The i7's they have now are not any better than the best quad cores and they cost a lot more, although I'm sure by 2011 or so, they'll be a noticeable step up in performance.

I'd also definitely recommend getting a motherboard that supports DDR3 memory -- it's going to be worth it. DDR3 has dropped in price by almost half since I built my machine, and it's getting to the point where latency is not an issue. In a year or so, you'll be kicking yourself if you're using DDR2 because your machine will be at a dead-end for upgrading capacity, and DDR3 memory will basically be twice as good for about the same price.

For a graphics card, just make sure it supports DirectX 10 or better and will fit in your motherboard. oh, and make sure you get a big power supply (at least 600W) to run everything, and some good case fans to blow all that heat out.

If it helps at all, here's what I built -- total cost was about $1,000 by getting what I could on sale, and it should be able to easily handle any game or program that comes out in the next five years or so:

CPU: Intel Q9550
Motherboard: Intel DP45SG
RAM: 4GB Patriot DDR3 7-7-7 10666 (may expand to 8GB later)
Hard drive: Western Digital Velociraptor 1000rpm 300GB
Power supply: Zalman 850W
Graphics card: Radeon HD4870
CPU cooler: Thermaltake Silent 775 (but would recommend a Zalman CPU fan/heatsink if you can get it to fit)
Case fans: 3x Thermaltake 72.5CFM, 1x Rexus 42CFM

Plus a CD_RW drive and card reader, which are about a dime a dozen.
Now that is a sweet system! Man, what I would do if I had an extra thousand bucks lying around. My system is garbage compared to that, but hey, it does what I need.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #34
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
I would if I could. But renewing my Penguins' season tickets are eating a hole in my budget, and I ain't giving those up for a $500 video card! Besides, my everyday needs doesn't justify spending that much money on a video card.
Yeah I understand that, unless you are really into FPS or something like that with gaming, a DDR2 will push it just fine!

Here's a link to the my CPU, the pictures aren't updated, since then I've added another HDD and GPU.

http://www.evga.com/community/modsri...sp?sysid=14178
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #35
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Keep in the info coming...

Am I right for trying to shy away from high latency rates on DDR 3 ram? Or is it not as much of an issue if they are 1033 or 1300 speeds?
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:38 PM   #36
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Keep in the info coming...

Am I right for trying to shy away from high latency rates on DDR 3 ram? Or is it not as much of an issue if they are 1033 or 1300 speeds?
You're ALWAYS better off getting the lowest latency you can. Although you're correct that at higher clock speeds, latency makes slightly less of a difference.

Basically, the latency is measured in clock cycles, and the length of a cycle is inverse to the clock speed. So to get the total response time, you just divide the clock speed by the latency. In other words, a latency of 8 at a 1600 clock speed is exactly the same thing as a latency of 4 at an 800 clock speed, which is the same as a latency of 2 at a 400 clock speed, and so on.

For DDR3, I'd still stay away from anything with an 8 or 9 latency if you can help it. They make 2GB sticks with a latency of 7 or even 6 for the same price. If you can fit it in your slots, this is a good example.

Of course, if you get to the very very high end of speed (currently something like this) you can expect to pay a premium no matter what, and you'd also better be sure your motherboard is equipped for it.

The important thing to take away from this is that DDR3 really is the way to go, because eventually they'll get the latency down to roughly the same as DDR2, and if you're starting out at a higher clock speed like DDR3-1333 instead of DDR2-667, you'll be much better off. Try to get a motherboard that supports at least DDR3-1333. That seems to be about the current standard for just high-end enough without being super-expensive.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:47 PM   #37
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,076 Times in 2,615 Posts

i have NO idea what anyone just said in this thread.

.....so MOP thanks for the monkey pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
Quote:
I have installed memory and also installed a video card before.
[IMG][/IMG]

that caught me off guard. i havent laughed that hard at a post in a while. (looks just like preach! ) and i do know chimps aint monkeys.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:21 AM   #38
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Alright... TALK TO ME... How does this look?

Quote:

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model GH22LS30 - OEM

$25.99 . .

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive (bare drive) - OEM

Acer X193W+BD Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail $419.97$359.97($119.99each) . .

SPARKLE SFPX98GT512D3 GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

$109.99 . .

OCZ XMP Ready Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3X1600LV6GK - Retail
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate $125.99$92.99 . .

Foxconn BloodRage LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail Item #: N82E16813186163Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy
$10.00 Mail-in Rebate $289.99 . .

Intel Core i7 940 Nehalem 2.93GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601940 - Retail
$559.99$544.99 . .

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 - Retail Item #: N82E16832116469Return Policy: Software Return Policy

$222.99 . .
I haven't checked compatibility of the Ram yet.. though it is DDR3 with the right clocking. BUt I just want to know if I am on the right track here. It is a tad bit too expensive at this point, but I figure I can cut one or two things down a bit as well as shop around for some better prices.

Also, I figure the power is overboard. I really don't know what I am doing with that, so some help would be apppreciated.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:24 AM   #39
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,231 Times in 1,378 Posts

preacher if your lookin for speakers, here's a fairly cheap set i'd recommend.....
http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/...in;contentBody

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:42 AM   #40
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Preacher try the Cooler Master HAF32, fantastic case for cheap. Also you can get the OEM Vista build for $99, so that will save you some money there. Everything else looks good.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote