Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 04-29-2009, 03:00 AM   #1
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Profile of "the Tank"

Alright... Enough is Enough...

I am already too dang excited about this season, then I had to go and read about this kid. You know, I think I am going to have to REALLY follow him. He just seems like a great kid. I am glad he is on this team.

Quote:
Profile of Steelers' fifth round draft pick: Frank "The Tank" Summers
The 5-foot-9, 242-pound RB brings power to short-yardage and goal-line situations and the will to excel on special teams to mix
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

UNLV photo
Frank Summers: At 5 feet 9 and 242 pounds, could he be an option around the goal line?

At one point in his junior season at UNLV, Frank "The Tank" Summers suddenly saw himself as Frank the frog.
The Rebels had the ball near the opponent's goal line, the perfect spot to call on their 5-foot-9, 242-pound Tank. He took the ball, headed toward the end zone -- and leaped as high as he could. The defense stopped him in midflight before he could score.
"He tried to get too fancy," UNLV coach Mike Sanford said yesterday. "I told him he needs to know who he is and how he's built; he needs to run them over."
Summers heeded his coach's advice.
Minicamp
What: Steelers minicamp, the only mandatory sessions for players until training camp at Saint Vincent in July.
When: Friday-Sunday.
Where: UPMC practice facility on the South Side. The practices are not open to the public.

"He told me to use my speed and power, that there's no reason to be in the air when you can run over everybody," Summers said yesterday. "You always see it on TV -- the all-star running back doing it; you figure the end zone is just right there, if I can just jump over. In that case, it wasn't the best idea.
"I believe that's the last time I jumped."
The Steelers drafted Summers in the fifth round Sunday specifically because he is The Tank, someone with the power and know-how to get into the end zone. Everyone knows the frustration coach Mike Tomlin had with his offense's spotty record of scoring touchdowns inside the 5 last season.
"No," Tomlin said sarcastically Sunday, "I enjoyed it!"
It nearly hurt the Steelers' chances to win their sixth Super Bowl. They had a first down at Arizona's 1 near the end of their first drive, gave the ball to Gary Russell and he was spilled for a4-yard loss. They wound up with a field goal.
Summers watched that series, thinking he would love to be in that position. Now he is, or at least has a good chance to be.
The Steelers have not had a true goal-line back since Jerome Bettis retired after the 2005 season. They've tried Russell, Willie Parker, Mewelde Moore, Najeh Davenport and Carey Davis. Now comes The Tank, who believes he can be that plow horse for them.
"I don't think I could fit any better than on any other team in the league. With Pittsburgh's physical play and my physical style, we go hand in hand. -- Frank "The Tank" Summers "

"I know I can be," Summers said. "I love scoring touchdowns and, when it's crunch time in a game and they're looking at a short-yardage situation, that's what I pride myself on. That's the best feeling in the world.
"I don't think I could fit any better than on any other team in the league. With Pittsburgh's physical play and my physical style, we go hand in hand."
Summers runs low to the ground -- think a bigger Barry Foster -- and that's an asset for backs looking for the tough yardage. With Parker, Rashard Mendenhall and Moore, the Steelers weren't looking for another breakaway threat. They need the exclamation point.
"Very rarely does he get dropped in the backfield," Tomlin said. "Short-yardage, goal-line situations have been an asset of his game."
There's another love of The Tank's life besides scoring.
"I love special teams. It's a time for me to really hit somebody without carrying the ball, just to run 60 or 50 yards downfield like a crazy man. I love to play the sport of football. Special teams is my favorite part of the game; anytime people were punting or kicking off, that was my favorite part."
He'll get his chance there, too.
"He will make a contribution on special teams," UNLV's Sanford promised. "He's a very determined, very physical player, a tough guy; very, very good in short-yardage, goal-line situations.
"I'm very excited for him because he's very deserving of this opportunity and I think the Steelers' organization will love him."
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09119/966200-66.stm
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:41 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,191 Times in 1,354 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Profile of "the Tank"

The more I read about him the more I can't wait for the season to start. I just hope he can follow in Jeromes foot steps and be the work horse for the team.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:30 AM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

I'm glad Tomlin is as frustrated as I am! I have really high hopes for this guy..........come on, Tank!

( I have to laugh at his nickname...........my sister has a long haired dachshund named Tank. And it's a nasty little beast. )
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:00 AM   #4
Jaquila
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 10634

I am getting more and more excited about this guy! I really hope he can be an asset to the team and give us those short yardage plays we couldnt get last season:D
Jaquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
XxKnightxX
Team Captain

Member Number: 832

MY GOD LOOK AT THIS, I LIKE THIS KID. Not only as a RB but a great special team asset, Carey Davis your job is being threatened.
[YOUTUBE]41ev5xHCX9I[/YOUTUBE]

made by steelman16
XxKnightxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Busy

HOLY SMOKES! I agree with your comments...this kid could be awesome for us! Carey Davis....your welcome for your ring....see-ya.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,873 Times in 936 Posts

Steelers have Summers listed as a RB. The FB's are Carey Davis and Ryan Powdrell. Most likely I see the Steelers dressing only 3 RB's on gameday and 1 FB, so most likely it will be Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Powdrell.

As much as I love the Summers pick, I just cant see him being activated on gameday much. At least not until the 2010 season.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Alright... Enough is Enough...

You know, I think I am going to have to REALLY follow him. He just seems like a great kid.
no need to start stalking the kid.

i know what youre saying though. i get the same feeling of him being a perfect steeler like i did with brian leonard.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steelers have Summers listed as a RB. The FB's are Carey Davis and Ryan Powdrell. Most likely I see the Steelers dressing only 3 RB's on gameday and 1 FB, so most likely it will be Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Powdrell.

As much as I love the Summers pick, I just cant see him being activated on gameday much. At least not until the 2010 season.
so why powdrell over davis or summers? didnt we have him last year?
Old 04-29-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

They didn't draft this kid to let him watch games. He is a game changer that likes to hit people. Frank needs to be on the field decleating people as much as possible.

He and the backs we have allow us to go back to Steeler football - Run it up in the 1st half and then grind them down in the 2nd half with the relentless pounding that Mendy and Tank would deliver.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Now if the "Tank" can just teach Kemo to not let the DE jump the gap between the guard and center we will be set.

I do like what I have heard of the kid though.

Last edited by OneForTheToe; 04-29-2009 at 11:38 AM.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote