Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-29-2009, 12:32 PM   #11
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Re: Pens / Caps

Malkin, Ovie and Datsyuk - all Russians - that must be a first.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

To expand on XT's last post.

Great Moments In Penguins vs. Capitals Playoff History
Posted Apr 29, 2009 9:30AM By Adam Gretz (RSS feed)

Thanks to the events of Tuesday night, as the Capitals and Hurricanes advanced in their game 7 victories, the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals will be taking part in a playoff series that could very well consume us all. We've seen playoff series' get hyped before, but nothing will come close to the tidal wave of Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin coverage that is about take the NHL by storm. Consider yourselves warned.

Before we look ahead to the madness, let's take a few minutes and remember the glory days of one of the best playoff rivalries the 1990's ever produced.

This will be the eighth time the Penguins and Capitals have met in the postseason, with Pittsburgh winning six of the previous series' (1991, 1992, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001) while the Capitals claimed victory in 1994. Obviously, during the better part of the 1990's it was pretty much a given that these two teams would be meeting in the postseason, and it almost always involved on-ice and off-ice anarchy. Let's hit up some of the better moments.

1991-92: The First Comeback

This was an opening round series (and a re-match of the Penguins' five game victory in 1991) that saw Washington race out to a commanding 3-1 series lead, highlighted by a 7-2 thumping in game 4 in Pittsburgh. Following that dismantling, the Penguins shut down the Capitals with a variation of the left-wing lock, outscoring them by a 14-7 margin over the final three games on their way to a second consecutive Stanley Cup.

1993-94: Washington Wins

Washington eliminated Pittsburgh in the opening round -- in six games -- with the three-headed goaltending monster of Don Beaupre, Byron Dafoe and Rick Tabaracci, shutting down the Penguins' high-powered offense. Pittsburgh scored just 12 goals in the six-game series.

1994-95: The Second Comeback

For the second time, the Capitals had Pittsburgh in a 3-1 series hole only to have the Penguins roar back to win it in seven games. I have no memory of anything interesting that happened in this series, other than the comeback.

1995-96: Petr Nedved Lets Us Go To Sleep At 2:00 AM

The highlight of the 1995-96 series was the epic game 4 in Washington. Not only did Penguins goalie Ken Wregget stop Joe Juneau on a penalty shot (in overtime!) but it was also one of the longest playoff games in NHL history, ending at roughly 2:00 AM ET when Petr Nedved scored in the fourth overtime.

Following that game, the two teams returned to Pittsburgh for game 5 where things turned somewhat biblical between the benches. With Pittsburgh leading, 4-1, Penguins forward Alek Stojanov squared off with Washington's Mark Tinordi in a fight that resulted in Stojanov taking a royal beating on the ice. Meanwhile, chaos erupted between the benches when Penguins assistant coach Bryan Trottier and Washington coach Jim Schoenfeld nearly ate one another.

Of course, this scene could not play out in today's NHL because NBC would have Pierre McGuire stuffed between the benches raving about Mike Richards' leadership ability. The best part of that clip, however, is clearly the kid in the black and gold Dr. Seuss hat, watching as if he's at the zoo and witnessing two lions kill each other over the last piece of meat. Welcome to the playoffs, kid. He's most likely 25 years old today and probably still hates Michal Pivonka with every fiber of his being.

1999-2000: "We'll Give 'Em All Seven Games In Pittsburgh"

Underrated series in the rivalry. Because of a scheduling conflict at Mellon Arena (I think it involved either a really bad concert or a circus) the series would begin in Washington for one game, and then shift back to Pittsburgh for two games, and then shift back to Washington for three. Capitals head coach Ron Wilson was livid with the decision, and prior to the start of the series uttered the infamous words: "We'll give 'em all seven games in Pittsburgh and we'll beat them anyway."

Perhaps it was an omen, perhaps it was just a coincidence, but the Penguins won the first game in Washington by seven goals (7-0) and then proceeded to win the series in five games.

2000-01: Moose Tracks

This was the year Mario Lemieux came out of retirement and, after not playing in three years, registered 76 points in 43 games. It was also the year the Penguins traded for a minor league goaltender at the trade deadline named Johan Hedberg. He stole the show for the Penguins in the playoffs, helping lead them to the Eastern Conference Finals.

As the Penguins dispatched Washington in six games, Hedberg allowed only 10 goals in the series, and became a cult hero of sorts in Pittsburgh due to his blue mask that featured the logo of the Manitoba Moose (his minor league team). Every time Hedberg would stop a shot, Penguins fans would take part in a "Moose" chant that echoed throughout the building. It ultimately led to one of the worst playoff giveaways in the history of organized sports, as the team started passing out foam moose antlers at games. Just a terrible, terrible idea in hindsight.

It just dosen't seem that long ago that people were screaming Moooose in the igloo.
Time flies.

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2009/04/29/g...ayoff-history/

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #13
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

How the hell did I miss the 2000 series? I remember Wilson saying that, and then laughing my ass off when they got poleaxed in that 7-0 game in their own building.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #14
trauben
Bench Warmer

Location: City of reigning Super Bowl and Stanley Cup Champions!!!
Member Number: 7929

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
BTW, Malkin was officially named a Hart Trophy candidate today, but we all know who's going to win it. Why they even bothered to announce the candidates in the first place is beyond me.
You know it's going to douchebag, and they'll announce it probably during this series. When that happens? It will be like pouring gasoline on a fire when it comes to Geno. I predict he'll turn it up to a full blazing shoot out at their nets, just to show the league and fans who really should have gotten it.

trauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #15
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by trauben View Post
You know it's going to douchebag, and they'll announce it probably during this series. When that happens? It will be like pouring gasoline on a fire when it comes to Geno. I predict he'll turn it up to a full blazing shoot out at their nets, just to show the league and fans who really should have gotten it.
It's not going to be announced until June at their awards ceremony. It doesn't matter - we know he's going to win it, even though the voting was done at the end of the season. Handing over the trophy is a mere formality.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #16
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

It's going to be interesting, I've got some high school buddies that are caps fans. Let the talking begin.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #17
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
It's not going to be announced until June at their awards ceremony. It doesn't matter - we know he's going to win it, even though the voting was done at the end of the season. Handing over the trophy is a mere formality.

Hell - we knew at the start of the season who was going to win it, no matter what he, Geno or anyone else did. The hockey media darling of course.

If he starts his grandstanding, starts running his big yap or mocks Fleury or the bench, I hope someone runs that Geico caveman looking bastard (of course at an opportune time). He's had it coming for a lonnnnnng time.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #18
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I can't wait. I can't stand Ovie....I really hope our Penguins take this series. I have never rooted for the Rangers before in my life...but I was a Ranger fan in the first round.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:20 PM   #19
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Bettman has died and gone to heaven!

Maybe ESPN will actually give us some airtime.

btw - This year is officially the year of the choke:

Flyers
Devils
Rangers
Sharks

Pens and Wings - only two teams from last year to advance to 2nd rd.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #20
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Here's to keeping up the maginificent Penguins tradition of knocking the Crapitals out of the playoffs.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote