Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 04-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Tomlin got the players he wanted

Tomlin got the players he wanted
By JIM WEXELL
For The Tribune-Democrat
http://www.tribune-democrat.com/spor...119000225.html

PITTSBURGH — Bruce Arians wore his favorite Cheshire smile as he told the Pittsburgh media that he’d written down the names of the Steelers’ third-round draft picks – Kraig Urbik and Mike Wallace – three weeks ago … “as guys I would love to have on our ball club. Just happened they fell,” Arians said.

Urbik is the powerful right guard the Steelers need; Wallace is the deep threat Nate Washington used to be and the kickoff returner Nate never was.

Those players filled two distinct needs for Arians, but he said he wasn’t satisfied.

In an interview with a radio station during the excruciating four-hour wait between the third and fifth-round picks, Arians, the offensive coordinator, said he wanted one more player. He didn’t say who, and he wasn’t asked on air.

“Is it Frank the Tank?” someone asked during a break.

Arians put his finger to his lips and said, “Shhhhhhhh.”

“The Tank” became the pick.

Frank Summers was the short-yardage back from UNLV the Steelers had been following, and, according to Arians, Tank was coveted throughout that torturous and pick-less fourth round.

The 243-pound Tank filled a third offensive need: Short-yardage runner. He’ll also make a terrific special-teams player in the Carey Davis mold.

In fact, he may even replace Davis some day as the pass-catching fullback.

So even though he lost a fifth-round fight with the defensive coaches, Arians got every guy he wanted. The Steelers, after the long wait, opted first for another player they’d been scouting closely, Joe Burnett, in the fifth round.

Burnett has a slight build, but he’s a playmaker. Defensive backs coach Ray Horton even compared him to Antwaan Randle El by saying, “I don’t want to compare him to Antwaan Randle El, but …”

Horton was afforded the luxury of a small, 4.55-timed playmaker – who plays a lot faster on the field – because the Steelers had grabbed their prototypical cornerback in the third round, Keenan Lewis.

“He’s a six-foot corner who can run,” was how Mike Tomlin described him as if he were describing a car part.

In turn, Horton admitted the Steelers were able to draft such a precise part in the third round because they’d drafted their returner, Wallace, on the previous pick. They needed a wide receiver or cornerback who could return kickoffs, and the receiver did the trick.

The receiver, coincidentally, is a childhood friend of the “six-foot corner who can run.”

Wallace and Lewis go way back to their childhood on the West Bank of New Orleans.

“Very familiar with that story,” said Tomlin. “I spoke down in Knoxville at the University of Tennessee several weeks back, and their wide receiver coach at Tennessee was not only familiar with him, but also Keenan Lewis. He coached those guys since they were in seventh grade. I heard detailed information about their story, but it’s not a secret. I think people that prepare for the draft knew the story of those young men and specifically Wallace and what he and his family went through in terms of being relocated and how it affected his senior year and recruiting process and all of that. Those kinds of life experiences harden you, and let’s face it: The National Football League game is a game for the mentally tough – and we believe some of his life experiences will be a help to him as he transitions to the pro game because, of course, it’s not going to be easy.”

Tomlin is to be appreciated on several levels throughout that quote. But to stay on point, let’s appreciate his expanding network and how he was able to manipulate this draft so well, that he was able to hit on every exciting and interesting prospect he’d been tracking, from Ziggy to the Wisconsin right guard to the deep threat/big corner combo from New Orleans to Smokin’ Joe Burnett to Frank the Tank – whose workout the Steelers supervised in early March – and to A.Q. Shipley.

Of course, Shipley’s arms are too short and he plays only one position. But how many positions did Mike Webster play?

Even though Shipley has two centers – Justin Hartwig and interim right guard Darnell Stapleton – in front of him, he’s the only center, the only lineman in fact, who can get out in front of a screen pass and run and knock people down. It’s a failing that wasn’t rectified with Urbik, but was certainly helped with Shipley. His mobility just may become the reason he moves into the starting lineup in 2010.

But that’s just the conjecture of a short-armed writer.

No, Tomlin got the guys he wanted, and they’re “high-quality people, humble guys, and guys who can fit in. All of these guys fit that bill,” the coach said. “Things that we evaluate, like toughness, intelligence, these guys display that. This was a great day for us.”

This is his third draft and it may turn out to be Tomlin’s masterpiece. On a championship team that didn’t need much help, went the common thinking, the Steelers couldn’t, wouldn’t use all of those picks. Well, Tomlin just brought in nine who fill specific needs. The competition will be fierce.

Jim Wexell is a free-lance writer who covers the Steelers for The Tribune-Democrat.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517
Default Re: Tomlin got the players he wanted

Dat's cuz Mikey T knows best.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman16 View Post
Dat's cuz Mikey T knows best.
Amen
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Now...

Why were we trying to trade up in the rounds if were able to get all the guys we wanted?

Something isn't right.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Now...

Why were we trying to trade up in the rounds if were able to get all the guys we wanted?

Something isn't right.
Obviously "all" the guys they wanted is an exaggeration. I do get the feeling though that the team is overwhelmingly happy with the way their draft ended up.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
billybob
Banned

Member Number: 5364

I would say that Tomlin is bringing his show to Pittsburgh .There is no question in my mind that , he himself , is growing too. Under his direction , we came close one time , the next time we hit paydirt . That is proof enough for a punk like me that has been following this elite team , before they even became elite . If he says he got who he wanted , then i am inclined to believe we got who we need . One thing i know , is do not expect to see the same team we all saw on the field for Superbowl 43 .(Mach 5 ) excluded .
This one will be more of a high octane version . Tomlin is growing , and i can see it , and he wants the best for our team , i don't see that he is motivated to better himself , but to better our team . He knows a little about Pittsburgh football , and by his actions i believe it . How can ya not love it . Some media ,and fans alike worry about things he just brushes off . To me Tomlin is a man with a plan . The plan seems to point to making the Steelers into an unstoppable force . I am all for it ! ! ! Front office strikes again ! ! !

Last edited by billybob; 04-29-2009 at 06:42 PM.
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob View Post
I would say that Tomlin is bringing his show to Pittsburgh .There is no question in my mind that , he himself , is growing too. Under his direction , we came close one time , the next time we hit paydirt . That is proof enough for a punk like me that has been following this elite team , before they even became elite . If he says he got who he wanted , then i am inclined to believe we got who we need . One thing i know , is do not expect to see the same team we all saw on the field for Superbowl 43 .
This one will be more of a high octane version . Tomlin is growing , and i can see it , and he wants the best for our team , i don't see that he is motivated to better himself , but to better our team . He knows a little about Pittsburgh football , and by his actions i believe it . How can ya not love it . Some media ,and fans alike worry about things he just brushes off . To me Tomlin is a man with a plan . The plan seems to point to making the Steelers into an unstoppable force . I am all for it ! ! ! Front office strikes again ! ! !
Excellent post. I completely concur with every sentiment you expressed there. That is the same view I have of our coach, team and front office.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #8
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

The more I read about this draft and the players the more excited I get from it. But here is a question. In the article it says there is 2 centers in front of Shipley. What the hell happened to Legursky? Maybe they are eyeing him at Guard only.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
billybob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
The more I read about this draft and the players the more excited I get from it. But here is a question. In the article it says there is 2 centers in front of Shipley. What the hell happened to Legursky? Maybe they are eyeing him at Guard only.
I wish i could answer that too . But ya can't have a guy hangin around on your roster forever ,not doing anything but taking up space .Maybe Shipley was brought in to displace him . I just don't know . In Tomlins system , i am sure that Legursky will have to step forward , or forever hold his piece . I am sure it is like any other job , "we are sorry but we decided to go the other way " , no offense to you ,and thankyou for your time and your patience , good luck sir . He should be able to make a move in this camp , or else i can see the staff letting him go .
Old 04-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
billybob
Banned

I have even heard some people comparing legursky to "T - REX " .