Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 05-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Cmdurand21
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13540
Default Camp Notes!

Well i came here looking for some notes, and couldn't find any. So I went and found some and decided I would fill you guys in if you weren't following. (Which you better be! ) And if you were... this is now the only place you have to come to find it. I will try and update it daily. Without further ado:

All information by ESPN.com's James Walker

Day 2

Quote:
May 2, 2009 6:00 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers continued their full-squad, mandatory minicamp Saturday to kick off the 2009 football season.

Here are some notes and observations from Day 2:

1) I'm pleasantly surprised with the way second-year quarterback Dennis Dixon is throwing the football this weekend. In the four practices the past two days, Dixon's ball has been a tight spiral more often than not and his accuracy has been solid. Saturday Dixon placed a ball over the middle through three defenders to hit receiver Brandon Williams in one of the best throws of minicamp thus far.

2) Linebacker Lawrence Timmons looks ready for a breakout year. He's always been one of the best athletes on the team. But in his third year it looks like he "gets it," in terms of his assignments and Pittsburgh's complicated defensive scheme. Timmons has looked fluid and confident all weekend. He also has little wasted motion when getting to his spots and chasing the ball carriers.

3) Veteran cornerback Keiwan Ratliff believes he can contribute in Pittsburgh this year. Ratliff was with the Indianapolis Colts last season and played a lot of Cover 2 defense, which is a strong point of Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin. Ratliff says knowing the coverage scheme well will help the transition with his new team.
It what seems to be a daily occurrence at Steelers camp.

4) the funny play for Saturday involved nose tackle Chris Hoke. At 6 feet, 2 inches tall, weighing 302 pounds, Hoke was caught covering speedy, 5-feet-7 scat back Stephan Logan in the flat. The quarterback read the play correctly and quickly threw the ball to Logan, who put a juke move on Hoke that nearly caused him to completely flip over himself. The team went nuts and even congratulated Hoke for selling out and trying to make the play, despite the obvious mismatch.

5) Receiver Dallas Baker once again flashed some potential Saturday. Baker made four quality catches in the second practice, many of them in traffic, to complete a good day of work. Baker has quietly made plays in camp for the Steelers the past few seasons. This year he is competing again for one of the final roster spots at receiver.
Day 3

Quote:
May 3, 2009 2:30 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

PITTSBURGH-The defending champion Pittsburgh Steelers wrapped up their mandatory minicamp with an extremely light morning session Sunday.

Here are some final thoughts and observations this weekend:

1) Steelers' starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger looks healthy and rested. He hasn't thrown prior to OTAs also provided an interesting nugget Sunday, saying he still hasn't watched the final game-winning drive in Super Bowl XLIII against the Arizona Cardinals. Why, you ask? "Because I know what happened," said a smiling Roethlisberger.

2) If I had to pick one player I was most impressed with (outside of the obvious), I would have to say second-year receiver Limas Sweed. Everyone is aware of his struggles last season. But during this three-day camp, Sweed received a lot of reps and made a lot of plays. The 2008 second-round pick will be relied upon this season and it looks like he's making significant strides.

3) I received several questions in the AFC North inbox about the performance of the offensive line. And, frankly, I find it nearly impossible to evaluate the position during a non-contact minicamp. That's why there aren't many reports on the line this weekend. To say a player blocked well or didn't block well when contact is not allowed wouldn't be accurate enough for my liking.

4) The Steelers came out of this camp healthy. Players coming off offseason surgeries such as receiver Hines Ward (knee) and safety Ryan Clark (shoulder) did not participate, and the only new injury was an ankle sprain to backup tailback Mewelde Moore, who had his heel stepped on this weekend. "It's nothing long term," Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said Sunday. "He should be able to get back to work the latter part of next week and continue on with his off-season program."

5) There was no update Sunday on the Larry Foote situation. The inside linebacker did not attend this weekend's minicamp and is still on the roster. Tomlin wouldn't elaborate beyond his comments Friday on Foote's future with the team.

Last edited by Cmdurand21; 05-03-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Cmdurand21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
billybob
Banned

Member Number: 5364
Default Re: Camp Notes!

Think you,re a little late with that dude , but thanks anyway . It's already been posted .
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

If Foote wasn't required to be at the minicamp with his release pending, then why not just release him before camp?

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
Cmdurand21
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13540

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob View Post
Think you,re a little late with that dude , but thanks anyway . It's already been posted .
I only found the Day 1 reports while looking through?

Edit: Took down day 1 because it was already posted.
Cmdurand21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdurand21 View Post
I only found the Day 1 reports while looking through?

Edit: Took down day 1 because it was already posted.
Yep, only Day 1 was previously posted.

Welcome to the board!
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
1) Steelers' starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger looks healthy and rested. He hasn't thrown prior to OTAs also provided an interesting nugget Sunday, saying he still hasn't watched the final game-winning drive in Super Bowl XLIII against the Arizona Cardinals. Why, you ask? "Because I know what happened," said a smiling Roethlisberger.

Love it! I think this is the first quote from Ben saying anything about the Superbowl. He sort of disappeared from view for a while. Nice to have you back, Ben!
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

hey bud.. thanks for the info. Always good to see the new folks coming here trying to be helpful and informational. Welcome to the board and I hope that you enjoy ...
Old 05-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
Give It To Abercrombie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8199

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
If Foote wasn't required to be at the minicamp with his release pending, then why not just release him before camp?
My guess would be they are still trying to trade him. I know people say "just wait until he's cut, then you don't have to give anything up", well that's true but if you wait until he is cut anyone can sign him and you may have to bid his price up. Giving up a draft pick in a trade ensures you have the whole next year to negotiate an extension, without competition from other teams.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
billybob
Banned

Member Number: 5364

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Yep, only Day 1 was previously posted.

Welcome to the board!
My bad , i already read it , i thought it was here . Sorry .
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #10
Fordy
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2047

Interesting to see Dallas BAker trying out again..