Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-03-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers aim to avoid Super Bowl letdown

Steelers aim to avoid Super Bowl letdown
Associated Press
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

PITTSBURGH - Mike Tomlin wasn't coaching the Pittsburgh Steelers when their Super Bowl-winning season of 2005 was followed by a series of mishaps, letdowns and losses. That doesn't mean he's not familiar with what can happen when a team tries to live off its title too long.

Witness Tampa Bay in 2003, which followed up its Super Bowl win by going 7-9. Similarly, the Steelers started 2-6 in 2006 - the year of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's serious motorcycle accident - and finished 8-8 and out of the playoffs.

"Teams come hard at you," Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor said. "You become a target."

The Steelers will be such a target again this season, and some of them were talking Saturday at their three-day weekend minicamp about what to do about it.

Tomlin can draw from his experiences as an assistant coach at Tampa Bay but said he intends to coach mostly "from the gut" - responding to each challenge as it arises.

"It is a different time, a different place, a different set of circumstances," Tomlin said. "On a personal note, my approach and mentality in regards to some of the things I can pull from, I'm sure I will."

So will Taylor and Hines Ward, Roethlisberger and Willie Parker and the nearly 20 other players who were part of both of the Steelers' Super Bowl-winning seasons the past four years.

Last year, Roethlisberger said the June 2006 motorcycle crash that disrupted his season long before it began was a byproduct of him not being careful or conscientious enough after winning the Super Bowl, and it wouldn't happen again.

Parker remembers how it took the 2006 Steelers almost until midseason to remember how they won the season before, so he didn't want to create any distractions this year by holding out with one season left on his contract.

"It's nothing about the contract. I'm here to work," Parker said. "I'm a Steeler until somebody tells me otherwise. The contract will take care of itself."

The Steelers should have one advantage in avoiding the letdown of '06 - an easier schedule than they had not only that season, but also last year, when they went 12-4.

They will play the AFC West rather than the AFC South and the NFC Central rather than the NFC East. Based on their opponents' 2008 records, they will play one of the NFL's three easiest schedules.

To Taylor, preventing a repeat of 2006 requires remembering that every team wants to judge itself against the NFL champion, regardless of what its record was the previous season.

"We feel like we're a target regardless, but there's just that extra oomph, teams are going to come at you and that's just the way it is," Taylor said.

Taylor likes how the Steelers organization stays with its business-as-usual approach, with an emphasis on the coming season. The Steelers' practice complex, contains few signs this is the home of the NFL champions.

The Lombardi trophy from February is displayed along with the other five won by the Steelers not in a prominent place in the city where the public can view them, but in a quiet corridor near the coaches' offices.

Employees answer the phone with a simple, "Pittsburgh Steelers," with no mention of the recently won NFL title.

"The organization keeps it level and with a tone that keeps distractions to a minimum," Taylor said.

"Coach (Tomlin) does a great job of coming in and doing that and we've got some veteran guys who know what it takes coming off the last Super Bowl. He has experienced Super Bowls and we have experienced Super Bowls, and that's a good mix."

Copyright Observer Publishing Co.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
PeckerWood
Team President

Member Number: 13275
Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,260 Posts
My Mood: Breezy
Default Re: Steelers aim to avoid Super Bowl letdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Steelers aim to avoid Super Bowl letdown
Associated Press
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

PITTSBURGH - Mike Tomlin wasn't coaching the Pittsburgh Steelers when their Super Bowl-winning season of 2005 was followed by a series of mishaps, letdowns and losses. That doesn't mean he's not familiar with what can happen when a team tries to live off its title too long.

Witness Tampa Bay in 2003, which followed up its Super Bowl win by going 7-9. Similarly, the Steelers started 2-6 in 2006 - the year of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's serious motorcycle accident - and finished 8-8 and out of the playoffs.

"Teams come hard at you," Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor said. "You become a target."

The Steelers will be such a target again this season, and some of them were talking Saturday at their three-day weekend minicamp about what to do about it.

Tomlin can draw from his experiences as an assistant coach at Tampa Bay but said he intends to coach mostly "from the gut" - responding to each challenge as it arises.

"It is a different time, a different place, a different set of circumstances," Tomlin said. "On a personal note, my approach and mentality in regards to some of the things I can pull from, I'm sure I will."

So will Taylor and Hines Ward, Roethlisberger and Willie Parker and the nearly 20 other players who were part of both of the Steelers' Super Bowl-winning seasons the past four years.

Last year, Roethlisberger said the June 2006 motorcycle crash that disrupted his season long before it began was a byproduct of him not being careful or conscientious enough after winning the Super Bowl, and it wouldn't happen again.

Parker remembers how it took the 2006 Steelers almost until midseason to remember how they won the season before, so he didn't want to create any distractions this year by holding out with one season left on his contract.

"It's nothing about the contract. I'm here to work," Parker said. "I'm a Steeler until somebody tells me otherwise. The contract will take care of itself."

The Steelers should have one advantage in avoiding the letdown of '06 - an easier schedule than they had not only that season, but also last year, when they went 12-4.

They will play the AFC West rather than the AFC South and the NFC Central rather than the NFC East. Based on their opponents' 2008 records, they will play one of the NFL's three easiest schedules.

To Taylor, preventing a repeat of 2006 requires remembering that every team wants to judge itself against the NFL champion, regardless of what its record was the previous season.

"We feel like we're a target regardless, but there's just that extra oomph, teams are going to come at you and that's just the way it is," Taylor said.

Taylor likes how the Steelers organization stays with its business-as-usual approach, with an emphasis on the coming season. The Steelers' practice complex, contains few signs this is the home of the NFL champions.

The Lombardi trophy from February is displayed along with the other five won by the Steelers not in a prominent place in the city where the public can view them, but in a quiet corridor near the coaches' offices.

Employees answer the phone with a simple, "Pittsburgh Steelers," with no mention of the recently won NFL title.

"The organization keeps it level and with a tone that keeps distractions to a minimum," Taylor said.

"Coach (Tomlin) does a great job of coming in and doing that and we've got some veteran guys who know what it takes coming off the last Super Bowl. He has experienced Super Bowls and we have experienced Super Bowls, and that's a good mix."

Copyright Observer Publishing Co.
Chuck Noll won back to back Superbowls twice, the first back to back could have been back to back to back if it wasn't for injuries to the offensive backfield.

If Ben and Mike want to be up there with Terry and Chuck they have to win one back to back Superbowls

Would be nice to see like in 08 the Steelers won a Superbowl by a better passing game then a running game, then in 09 win a Superbowl when the running game comes alive and out playing the passing game.
PeckerWood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

The thought of holding out actually crossed Parker's mind? After a season like that? Did I wake up and we're suddenly on Mars or something?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=35324

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote