Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers Notebook: Farrior sad to see Foote leave

Steelers Notebook: Farrior sad to see Foote leave
Monday, May 04, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09124/967522-66.stm

Masked man Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger makes his way past rookie Stefan Logan at the beginning of workouts yesterday at the Steelers' South Side training facility.

Minicamp is over, and so is the Steelers career of linebacker Larry Foote. The Steelers are likely to release Foote this week, unless they can convince some team such as Detroit to throw them a bone of a seventh-round draft choice.

"I'm sad to see him go," said linebacker James Farrior, captain of the defense and one of Foote's closest teammates. "I don't know what's going to happen with him in the future but it's probably not too likely that he's going to be here."

Farrior said he talks to Foote often and that "he wants to be a starter, he wants to be the guy.

"I don't think his opportunity has really been that way here. It's a decision he has to make. I wish him well. I hope everything works out for him. We all still love him in this locker room, and all the coaches still love him. He has to do what's best for him."

Foote has one year left on his contract that would pay him $2,885,000. Although he has not missed a start in the past five seasons, he rarely played on passing downs.

The Steelers did not ask him to take a pay cut, but Foote believed that Lawrence Timmons, entering his third season, would start in his place. He also said last week that he wanted to play where he would not come off the field on third downs.

Asked if he thought Timmons was ready to play every down, Farrior said, "He has to be ready, he doesn't really have a choice.

"But I think he's coming around, he's really learning the defenses a lot more. The coaches have done a good job teaching him what he needs to know. It's just got to be a situation with me feeling comfortable with him and us with communication on the field. We just have to go through practice with that."

Coach Mike Tomlin provided no more insight yesterday on the team's plans for Foote after the two sides mutually agreed for him to not attend the mandatory minicamp that ended yesterday.
Quick hits

Tomlin gathered his team together for a few minutes in uniform and then sent them home without conducting the fifth minicamp practice yesterday. ... The Steelers have off until they resume voluntary spring practices May 19. ... Running back Mewelde Moore has a sprained ankle after stepping on a teammate's foot Saturday but should be able to practice when workouts resume, Tomlin said. ... The Steelers probably will receive their Super Bowl rings next month. "It's going to be nice," said Farrior, who had input in the design. "It's going to be real big and it's going to have a lot of bling, so we're happy."
First published on May 4, 2009 at 12:00 am
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote