Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-04-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Collecting more rings pushes Roethlisberger

Collecting more rings pushes Roethlisberger
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...ce=rss&feed=43
By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Scott Brown is the Steelers beat writer. He can be reached via e-mail. Also check out Brown's blog and Steelers Q&A.
Brown on draft picks

The late drive he engineered in Super Bowl XLIII will go down as a signature moment of his career, one that looks like it is on a track to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

Yet Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said he still hasn't watched a replay of it.

That might be a good thing for the Steelers since it could be a sign that Roethlisberger isn't basking in past glory as much as he is focused on what is still to come.

Roethlisberger, after all, may be one of only 10 quarterbacks to win multiple Super Bowls, but he is still only 27 years old.

"I believe he can get better," coach Mike Tomlin said at the conclusion of Steelers minicamp Sunday. "I'm sure that he does (too). He's still a young guy. He's got a lot of hardware that some young guys don't have, but those are the standards that he sets for himself. Like everybody else, Ben is going to be here searching for the ceiling in terms of what he's capable of doing."

Like most of the Steelers veterans, Roethlisberger is easing back into his training, and he said he has not worked out since the Super Bowl.

"That was just to recover and kind of relax and let your body heal and get 100 percent," Roethlisberger said. "I feel great, actually."

The 6-foot-5, 241-pounder has as much reason as anyone to make sure his body gets enough time to recuperate from the 2008 season, considering how long it was and the beating that he took (Roethlisberger was sacked 46 times).

His goal in the coming months is a simple if fairly predictable one.

"I'm going to try to avoid offseason injuries," Roethlisberger said.

He wasn't able to do that after leading the Steelers to a Super Bowl title in the 2005 season.

Roethlisberger had a serious motorcycle accident in June 2006, and the effects of it as well as an emergency appendectomy in September sabotaged his and the Steelers' 2006 season.

Roethlisberger threw 18 touchdown passes and 23 interceptions, as the Steelers slipped to 8-8 a season after winning their fifth Super Bowl.

When asked if that has been the most trying season of his career, he said, "Physically, mentally, emotionally, yes, absolutely."

Roethlisberger rebounded in 2007, setting Steelers single-season records in touchdown passes (32) and passing rating (104.1). He didn't put up big numbers again in 2008, but by the end of the season the Steelers had won another Lombardi Trophy in large part because of Roethlisberger and his late-game heroics.

He may not be finished adding Super Bowl titles to his resume, considering Roethlisberger may just now be entering the prime of his career and is apparently as driven as ever.

"From the second he got here he saw the four (Super Bowl) trophies up there and that's what he wanted to do," said Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel, one of Roethlisberger's closest friends on the team. "He wanted to get at least four and we're halfway there, so hopefully we can win a couple of more so we can live out that legacy."

Roethlisberger has been keeping a low profile at Steelers offseason practices, and yesterday he wouldn't allow TV or video cameras to tape his first interview with Pittsburgh reporters since the Super Bowl.

He said he will only throw at offseason practices, which isn't a departure from what Roethlisberger has done in past years, to preserve his arm. He added that he will take part in the voluntary practices the Steelers have 12 more of them that resume May 18.

Before long, training camp will be here, and that is when the Steelers' quest to win a seventh Super Bowl will officially begin.

"We've got a bulls-eye on our chest, and you always do as a Super Bowl team," Roethlisberger said. "We'll be all right."

Elite company

If Ben Roethlisberger wins a third Super Bowl, he will become just the fifth quarterback to accomplish that feat. Here are the others:

Player, team: Titles

Terry Bradshaw, Steelers: 4

Joe Montana, 49ers: 4

Troy Aikman, Cowboys: 3

Tom Brady, Patriots: 3
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
jev7452
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11286
Default Re: Collecting more rings pushes Roethlisberger

i definitely think roethlisberger is still growing.. if the o line develops a littttllleee bit more and we get some more yardage tacked on to our running game, i think the steelers will be UNSTOPPABLE!
Old 05-04-2009, 09:20 AM   #3
PeckerWood
Team President

Member Number: 13275
Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,049 Posts
My Mood: Goofy

You can do it Ben, with the help of the front office, adding the talent and coaching to future Steelers teams.Would be cool to see Big Ben get three more rings.

Would like to see Big Ben on top with five rings one for each finger and the thumb.

Because stat wise in this Steelers offense he won't lead the league in passing (the talking heads love passing stats) and will not give Ben the credit deserves because another QB will have better passing stats.

But if Ben and the Steelers can pull off three more Superbowls in his career, that should shut up those stupid talking heads and take him to Canton, Ohio.

PeckerWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

I see Big Ben finishing his career with a minimum of 4 rings. I would love to see him get 5 but 2 more rings with this team is not far fetched.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Hey they forgot to put Brett Favre on that list. Doesn't he get a few honorary Super Bowl titles for just being himself?
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
Steelers Since '75
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8308

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
Hey they forgot to put Brett Favre on that list. Doesn't he get a few honorary Super Bowl titles for just being himself?
If John Madden hadn't retired then he would have ranked him at the top of all QB's... regardless of rings
Steelers Since '75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
CPanther95
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 11672

Rumor is Big Ben got a "Can no Lose!" tattoo on his buttcheek during the offseason.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
trauben
Bench Warmer

Location: City of reigning Super Bowl and Stanley Cup Champions!!!
Member Number: 7929

Nice article.

Remember all the rounds he made post-XXL? Letterman, some awards show in LA, etc.? Then he had the motorcycle accident and got himself one serious wake-up call that all can be taken from him. You bet your sweet-bippy that alone taught him a great deal about life in general. As the article stated, he's 27. I know when I was 27 I still had much maturing to do and learned a great deal more! We have plenty more growth to see from Ben! It will be exciting to continue to watch!

trauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
Rumor is Big Ben got a "Can no Lose!" tattoo on his buttcheek during the offseason.
lol and dont forget on the other he got 4:15 thread

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote