Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 05-04-2009, 10:41 AM   #11
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927
Default Re: Corporal Punishment (in school?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE View Post
Corporal Punishment is still legal in 22 states.

http://school.familyeducation.com/cl...rce/38377.html

I graduate May 21st with a degree in Elementary Education. Through observations and internships I see many of our young kids with no means of discipline at home and completly disrespect any authority in school. I do not believe that corporal punishment is the answer (regardless of the fact that any teacher would lose their job). I believe in building relationships with students and earning their respect by respecting them. They have zero guidance at home and in a way look for guidance through their disrespect
Yes, they should try this in boot camp. Put all that yelling and unpleasantness to rest. O-Dark-Hundred - "Fellas, who would like to join me in a nice brisk run this morning?" Gunshots. Thud. Crickets.

What have those people done to your mind Son?

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #12
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
I graduate May 21st with a degree in Elementary Education.
Congrats to you Lil' P!

I see nothing wrong with a whack on a kid's behind, whether at home or in school. As others have said - there is a HUGE difference between discipline and abuse. I only got the paddle once in grade school and when I got home that day after school, I got whacked again by my Mom for being disobedient in school (the principal notified her) and got grounded for a week which back then meant no TV, no radio, no going outside and no using the phone. I had to sit in my room and READ, God forbid!

A lot of kids today are spoiled little brats and it all starts at home. If they are allowed to get away with disrespecting their parents, they're going to exhibit that same disrespect in school towards not only their teachers, but to their peers. Unfortunately, I see a lot of parents today who feel it is more beneficial to them and their child to be a "best friend" instead of being a PARENT.

When my kids were in school, forms were sent home at the beginning of each school year asking whether parents wanted their children to get the paddle if needed. Though my kids were horrified, I had absolutely no hesitation in giving the school permission to whack them on the ass if needed and they knew that, like me as a child, if they got smacked in school, Round 2 awaited them at home. Kept them in line like little soldiers - LOL! :

I give the to corporal punishment.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:19 AM   #13
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Earning the kids respect is noble and the right idea. But what happens when that can't be done?
Old 05-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #14
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:

I graduate May 21st with a degree in Elementary Education. Through observations and internships I see many of our young kids with no means of discipline at home and completly disrespect any authority in school. I do not believe that corporal punishment is the answer (regardless of the fact that any teacher would lose their job). I believe in building relationships with students and earning their respect by respecting them. They have zero guidance at home and in a way look for guidance through their disrespect
That's great...but when that doesn't work, what do you do? My kids love me. I love my kids. When they have a problem, they come talk to me about it. They also know that if they cross certain lines, I'll spank them. I don't use a paddle, belt or anything. The size of my hand is a near perfect match with the size of their bottom...and there's a reason why the Palm of my hand and their behinds have an extra (natural) layer of padding on them. They meet quite well. I don't like spanking my kids...and for my 9 year olds, I haven't had to spank them since they were 3. My 4 year old daughter is extremely stubborn and still gets the occasional spanking, my 3 year old son is less stubborn and has learned where the lines are...and my 1 1/2 year old is now testing the front.

Where ever I take my kids, everyone exclaims how well behaved they are. They all say please and thank you. I don't require a Sir or a Ma'am...but they sometimes use it anyways. They say bless you when someone sneezes. They have manners and they don't get out of line. They know they have to eat real food before they get a snack. There's a reason all of this happens.

At the end of the day it comes down to this:

I respect my kids enough to punish them. I don't need to be their friend. I don't need them to like me 24/7. But, they WILL respect adults in general, my wife specifically and myself.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #15
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I remember in elementary school the principal was the one who spanked the student when it was deemed necessary. Then when I got home, I got another whoopin from my dad.

I have no problem, should the situation dictate it, that my children be spanked in school. But it can't be the first step. Never should be.

I believe my two older children's fathers did them a great injustice by not using spanking as a means of discipline. But that's just my opinion. My duaghter pushes the envelope daily with me. Constant fights about eating dinner, not listening, and blatant disobedience. I have a whoopin' paddle and I leave it out in plain sight. She knows I'll use it. I prefer not to use my hand only because children usually tend to hate the object that spanks them. The hand should be love, the paddle for hate! She hasn't yet gotten to the point that she realizes if she listens and obeys more often than not, then she doesn't get spanked. Although I do tell her nightly.

Like you XFL, I respect and love my kids enough to discipline them one way or another.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #16
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:

Here me out on this... while I am not a teacher, I have AMPLE experience in working with kids and teens from a position of authority (like you will be). You will have to make a choice VERY quickly in your first teaching job. Are you going to be a friend, or are you going to be a teacher. YOU CAN NOT BE BOTH. Kids and youth are not mature to understand the boundaries that exist in a relationship where a person is both authority and friend. As a result, they will usually default to friend and you will lose control, and not be able to teach them/impact their life.

However, when you are a teacher first (or in my case, their pastor, youth minister, children's minister first), establishing the boudaries and discipline necessary for that relationship, then the kids start to respond. They respond because kids want, more than ANYTHING else, for someone to provide a safe place for them by putting down boundaries that they can't push beyond. Part of that safety is knowng that a consistent and true consequence will come as a result of going beyond the boundaries.

One that is established, they will respect you a great deal. That respect can then be recipricated back to them. They will feel it, know it, and understand it. Then, when you sit with them and ask them about their home life, their personal life, etc., they feel SAFER telling you, because you have provided a safe enviroment for them.

Discipline is a necessary aspect to that. Building relationships that will truly benefit them can and will ONLY happen when you are an authority they can trust, and not 'a friend.'

trust me please, I made that mistake too often as a young minister.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #17
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post

But, they WILL respect adults in general, my wife specifically and myself.
But sadly, you are not teaching them to respect themselves, as you don't respect yourself. . .

YOU'RE A BROWNS FAN!!

Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #18
beSteelmyheart
Team Captain

Member Number: 1249

I remember having to bring permission forms home for my Mom to sign-she always did. I was "spanked" once in the first grade, refused to cry & further embarrass myself & was sent to the "cloak room" afterwards for awhile.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #19
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
But sadly, you are not teaching them to respect themselves, as you don't respect yourself. . .

YOU'RE A BROWNS FAN!!

And at this point in time, we part ways. I renounce all religious ties and will become an atheist, strap a bunch of bombs to myself, load up on a bunch of weapons I get from my Right-Wing Extremist friends and blow up a church.

Freaking butthead.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:17 PM   #20
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
And at this point in time, we part ways. I renounce all religious ties and will become an atheist, strap a bunch of bombs to myself, load up on a bunch of weapons I get from my Right-Wing Extremist friends and blow up a church.

Freaking butthead.

Oh no!!! run everybody!!!!