Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 05-06-2009, 01:43 AM   #1
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Talking Male 'contraceptive jab' closer

Quote:
A male contraceptive jab could be as effective at preventing pregnancies as the female pill or condoms, work shows.

The monthly testosterone injection works by temporarily blocking sperm production and could revolutionise birth control, experts believe.

In trials in China only one man in 100 fathered a child while on the injections, the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism reports.

Six months after stopping the jabs the men's sperm counts returned to normal.

Family planning campaigners welcomed the news and said they hoped an injection would give couples more choice and enable men to take a greater share of the responsibility for contraception.

But experts said more trials were needed to check the safety of the jab.

Previous attempts to develop an effective and convenient male contraceptive have encountered problems over reliability and side effects, such as mood swings and a lowered sex drive.

Despite the injection having no serious side effects, almost a third of the 1,045 men in the two-and-a-half year trial did not complete it and no reason was given for this.

More choice

Lead researcher Dr Yi-Qun Gu, from the National Research Institute for Family Planning in Beijing, China, said: "For couples who cannot, or prefer not to use only female-orientated contraception, options have been limited to vasectomy, condom and withdrawal.

"Our study shows a male hormonal contraceptive regimen may be a potential, novel and workable alternative."

He said if further tests proved successful the treatment could become widely available in five years from now.

Mr Laurence Shaw, of the London Bridge Fertility Centre and the British Fertility Society, said: "If a male contraceptive like this became available it would be great and would give people another choice.

"It would empower men to make a decision which involves more than just a condom. At the moment the onus is on the woman and men do not have that much choice.

"But we have been here before with testosterone as a method of contraception. We need more rigorous safety testing."

He said in trials, the female Pill was still more effective as a contraceptive than the new jab, but that in real life they might be comparable because it is easier to forget to take a pill.

A spokeswoman from Marie Stopes International said: "This is a very positive step forward. The more range of contraceptives there are, the better.

"But if this does become available men should still remember that it will not protect them against sexually transmitted infections and they should still use a condom."

Rebecca Findlay of the Family Planning Association said: "In the past fpa has asked men if they would use hormonal contraception, and a third gave a definite yes they would.

"More research is needed to make sure that any new method is safe and effective, but men will welcome the continued search to give them more control over their fertility and sexual health."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8033218.stm
Guys, the women R finally getting what they want. Equality in bed.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:08 AM   #2
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 10606
Default Re: Male 'contraceptive jab' closer

I don't want to guinea pig that one, I will stick to old faithful.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:08 AM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,533 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
side effects, such as mood swings and a lowered sex drive.
kinda sounds like to me that it turns you into a woman....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

My rule of thumb has pretty much always been "Their mouth can't get pregnant"...
Old 05-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
My rule of thumb has pretty much always been "Their mouth can't get pregnant"...
HAHAHAHAHA

I'm about to get in trouble with the wife...because I'm using that one on her.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post

Now if they can only come up with an injection so that men can menstruate, conceive, carry babies to term, go through squeezing a bowling ball through the eye of a needle (labor and delivery), breast feed and deal with the hells of menopause, we ladies would feel vindicated!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
trauben
Bench Warmer

Location: City of reigning Super Bowl and Stanley Cup Champions!!!
Member Number: 7929

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post

Now if they can only come up with an injection so that men can menstruate, conceive, carry babies to term, go through squeezing a bowling ball through the eye of a needle (labor and delivery), breast feed and deal with the hells of menopause, we ladies would feel vindicated!

I can see it now, there's a heated moment with potential to go further when the woman asks the man, "Do you have a condom?" and he won't be supplied and instead replies, "We're protected. I've taken my shots." What smart woman would truly believe that line? I can understand guys wanting it just to cover their rear regarding children, especially celebrity types, but why would any woman believe that if she's trying to be careful?

trauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by trauben View Post

I can see it now, there's a heated moment with potential to go further when the woman asks the man, "Do you have a condom?" and he won't be supplied and instead replies, "We're protected. I've taken my shots." What smart woman would truly believe that line? I can understand guys wanting it just to cover their rear regarding children, especially celebrity types, but why would any woman believe that if she's trying to be careful?
I would suspect that the Shot is more used for couples trying to not have kids. If you're single and hooking up on a regular basis (casual sex and all that jazz) then you should be using protection regardless. The shot doesn't prevent you from getting/giving an STD.

Although, if you consider pregnancy an STD...then it does prevent one.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
trauben
Bench Warmer

Location: City of reigning Super Bowl and Stanley Cup Champions!!!
Member Number: 7929

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
Although, if you consider pregnancy an STD....
I think this guy does........

trauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 10606

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post

As soon as they move women's ovaries to a bag between their legs where your organs get bumped, smacked, hit, sat on, and smashed on a regular basis, they will get to work on the above

Actually, one could argue that PMS and menopause affect the man equally. We do have to deal with Dr. Jeykl and Mr. Hyde simultaneously without ever knowing which one you are speaking to.

I've had kidney stones, so I feel you on the labor thing. Though I didn't get the pleasure before hand, I sure got the pain afterward.