Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 05-06-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Rule bearing name amuses Steelers' Ward

Rule bearing name amuses Steelers' Ward

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...ce=rss&feed=9#
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Ask Hines Ward about the so-called "Hines Ward" rule, and the Steelers' wide receiver chuckles.

"It's a big honor, because it's kind of weird how you can make an impact on the game," Ward said. "At the same time, I'm not going to change my game based off a rule, because coach (Mike) Tomlin said just keep continuing playing the way you are. I'm going to continue being the fierce wideout going out there and blocking guys and continue to make plays."

The NFL is trying to eliminate the kind of blocks that have become Ward signatures and made him a YouTube sensation. In March, the league adopted a rule change that makes it illegal for a blocker to use his helmet, forearm or shoulder to hit a defender from behind or from the side.

The Steelers were the only team to vote against the new rule.
Team president Art Rooney II has said the Steelers opposed the change because it is a judgment call and places added responsibilities on referees.

Ward looks at the new rule with amusement. Or is that bemusement?

Ward, after all, can't wonder if there is a double standard at work with a rule that was passed in the interest of player safety.

"It's kind of funny because week in and week out, that's all we see is highlights of somebody getting blown up by a defensive player," Ward said. "In my case it's shunned or doesn't look good or makes me a dirty player. I don't do anything different than what they do to offensive players."

When asked if he thinks the league targeted him with the new rule, Ward said, "How many (other) wideouts do you know going out there and attacking defensive guys like defensive guys attack the offensive guys?"

Ward's attacking style ended the season of Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers last October.

He made a crack-back block while Rivers was in pursuit of Steelers tight end Matt Spaeth. The jarring hit broke Rivers' jaw, and the Bengals later placed Rivers on injured reserve.

Ward's downfield blocking has drawn the ire of opposing players, most notably former Ravens linebacker Bart Scott.

Ward wiped out Scott with a blindside block in November 2007. After the game Scott, who now plays for the New York Jets, threatened Ward.

"Defensive players, they hate it," Ward said of his playing style. "I don't know why they hate it, because when I go across the middle they can't wait to take my head off, so why should I wait my turn to get hit before I retaliate?

"I take the approach of I'm doing whatever it takes to win. If I get a shot on you, I'm going to take it just like if they get a shot on me they're going to take it. I understand you have to protect players and all of that, and I don't approach the game to try to hurt people. That's never been my style."

Ward, who recently signed a five-year contract with the Steelers, reiterated that he won't change how he plays the game. His aggressiveness as a blocker has long epitomized the Steelers' hard-nosed, blue-collar brand of football.

"He embodies what's important to us as far as how he approaches the game," Tomlin said. "He's a football player first and a wide receiver second."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911
Default Re: Rule bearing name amuses Steelers' Ward

bunch of fukking pansies
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
bunch of fukking pansies

And to think the commissioner is embracing this type of pansification of the league. It won't be long before my daughter will be able to play QB in the NFL because the defense won't be allowed to touch them.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
Cordlisberger
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7764

there we go fine a player for playing hard, I think next we should fine players for putting a contract on a player and breaking his collar bone putting him on the IR for his rookie season...
Old 05-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

finally we hear from ward and i like it....

we should create a site where you can donate to hines ward's fines this upcoming season...
Old 05-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
billybob
Banned

Member Number: 5364

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post

And to think the commissioner is embracing this type of pansification of the league. It won't be long before my daughter will be able to play QB in the NFL because the defense won't be allowed to touch them.
Pansification , is that a word ? Thats good , they are trying to pansify the game .
I like Tomlins statement , urging Ward to not change his style of play .
Good for Tomlin ! ! !

Last edited by billybob; 05-06-2009 at 09:54 AM.
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Whatever the case may be, Bart Scott is still a whiner and I still don't like the bum. Even if he isn't on the Ratbirds anymore. Really pathetic that a little ol wide reciever is causing this much of a stir around the league.

Anyone who whines about Ward for exerting the physical aspect of a contact spor tis a hypocrite and has no right to call themselves fans of said sport. Plain and simple.

Our rookie had his season cut short on a untimely hit too. Let's institute a Ray Lewis rule that Linebackers aren't allowed to go after shoulders of running backs. NOT. You choose to play the game, you run the risk of getting hurt. As dangerous as it is.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
jev7452
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordlisberger View Post
there we go fine a player for playing hard, I think next we should fine players for putting a contract on a player and breaking his collar bone putting him on the IR for his rookie season...
i'll join in! what a great cause!
Old 05-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
aburdell
Water Boy

Member Number: 2310

So you can't hit with your helmet, forearm or shoulder, does that mean drop kicking is legal?
aburdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
T&B fan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9959

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post

man I had not thought about it that way girls in the NFL . yup that tells us a lot ,flag football , and that way gilrs and guys can both play at the sametime .