Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 05-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
GeneralRobinson
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5611
Default Larry Foote Signs With Detroit

Quote:
Coming Home
LB Larry Foote Signs with the Lions, Getting the Opportunity to Play in his Hometown
By Chrissie Wywrot | Detroitlions.com | May 6, 2009

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- There is something to be said for playing for your home team in the town you grew up in.

That is what drove veteran linebacker Larry Foote, who has spent his first seven NFL seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers, to sign with the Detroit Lions. Foote is a Detroit native who went to Pershing High School and played college ball at the University of Michigan.

He has played at Ford Field – hoisting the Lombardi Trophy on its surface when he was part of ‘winning one for the thumb’ in 2006 – but he has never worn the Honolulu Blue and silver.

“It’s my home,” he said. “So that was always going to be in the back of my mind – what it would be like playing at home. With the way things were going in Pittsburgh, I saw the Lions get a new coaching staff and thought, ‘What a great opportunity to come home.’”

Foote joins a defense that has continued to evolve since general manager Martin Mayhew and team president Tom Lewand permanently took over in late December.

The Lions have brought in new veteran players at every defensive position; Grady Jackson on the defensive line, Julian Peterson at linebacker and Phillip Buchanon, Anthony Henry and Eric King in the secondary.

Detroit’s defense is also evolving from a scheme standpoint. Head Coach Jim Schwartz and Defensive Coordinator Gunther Cunningham have changed the philosophy on that side of the ball; wanting to bulk up on the line and become a physical team when it comes to stopping the run.

Foote sees himself playing an integral role in that objective.

“You want to be big on the lines, you don’t want to be small – I understand that,” he said. “But linebackers and DBs – it’s a mentality. Size is a little overrated in those positions. You want to tackle or you don’t want to tackle. You can be 250 or 220. If you want to bring a guy down, you’ll bring him down.”

Foote actually sees more of an opportunity to play that kind of physical football in the Lions’ 4-3 defense compared with Pittsburgh’s 3-4.

The role of the middle linebacker changes from one system to the other; in a 3-4, the scheme is geared toward the outside linebackers. In a 4-3, however, the middle linebacker has a more prominent role.

“You can run a little more and make more plays,” said Foote. “I played it in college, so being in the middle is natural. I’m looking forward to the change.”

Foote says his favorite aspect of being a middle linebacker is the fact that he has to be the toughest.

“They’ve got to be able to run with the small guys and hit with the big guys,” he said.

The Lions will add Foote to their growing linebacker group; Detroit currently has 13 linebackers on their roster, but eight of those players have experience of two years or less. Prior to Foote’s arrival, Peterson, Cody Spencer, Alex Lewis and Ernie Sims made up the group of vets.

Foote brings an added dimension as a veteran but, at the same time, will experience a first when it comes to getting to know his new teammates. Having spent all of his seven NFL seasons in Pittsburgh, he has never started over.

“I just want to get better mentally,” said Foote of tomorrow’s organized team activity (OTA). “I’m just trying to learn the terminology. You’ve got to break the ice with guys – that’s a process, but you’ve got to start somewhere. I’m a little nervous. Going back to putting my name on my helmet – ‘Foote’ on there – I want to prove myself and show what I’m worth.”

So far, Foote has felt at home with the Detroit Lions.

He met with Schwartz and other coaches on the staff yesterday and sat in on his first position meeting Wednesday afternoon.

“Schwartz is a fun guy – I like him,” said Foote. “He’s a down-to-earth guy. He knows his football. I talked to him yesterday for about an hour and he’s just sharing his thoughts and personality – I felt comfortable here yesterday.

“Last night I was telling my agent, ‘Just get it done.’ The whole place made me feel comfortable and I can smell the fresh start and I’m honored to be a part of it.”
http://www.detroitlions.com/document...ment_id=484524
GeneralRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927
Default Re: Lions Sign Foote

He was a good soldier.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772
Default Re: Larry Foote Signs With Detroit

You served us well in your days at Pittsburgh. Thanks for helping us get the two rings. I'll miss him, but im just as excited about the Timmons Era. To be honest, Ernie Sims, Larry Foote, and Julian Peterson at linebacker is actually pretty good. I actually think Foote would make a good 4-3 linebacker. I dont think the addition of Foote will give the Lions some kind of turnaround like the fins did, but heck, maybe they'll finish 8-8. That linebacker corp isnt looking too bad. Good luck in Detroit, except when we play you this year
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

No way Detroit gets to 8-8 with a rookie QB and our 5th best LB in a 4-3 defense. He will not make them that much better if the rest of the defense is as bad as it was last year. Sorry, Larry. The only thing you get out of this is playing in your hometown. Who the heck would go to Detroit on purpose? We will miss you but we won't miss a beat just like when Porter left. No, not quite. You are nowhere near the player Porter is.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
No way Detroit gets to 8-8 with a rookie QB and our 5th best LB in a 4-3 defense. He will not make them that much better if the rest of the defense is as bad as it was last year. Sorry, Larry. The only thing you get out of this is playing in your hometown. Who the heck would go to Detroit on purpose? We will miss you but we won't miss a beat just like when Porter left. No, not quite. You are nowhere near the player Porter is.
Dude their LB core is pretty solid as far as I am concerned. The O- is tight other than QB and maybe they'll convert to a 3-4 before too long! Good luck Larry Foote, you served Steeler Nation well....
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Thanks for your service Larry. Good Luck with the Lions.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Obviously, if the Steelers defense isn't #1 next year it will because Timmons is a bust.

Does Vegas take these kinds of bets?
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

It's funny...there are some Lions fans who are bashing the Lions for this. Below is my conversation with one of the idiots.

Quote:
... wait... so we don't draft Ray Ray because he is a two down LB, so instead to fill the gap, we get an older two down LB?

I am not really bashing the signing, more just bashing our logic of not drafting a far superior athlete to play the position. Foote is good, but he has never played in a 4-3 system in the pros and normally, Pittsburgh releases players at the right time.
You are forgetting about the all might dollar bro. Rey Rey would have been looking for decent money...and he's unproven in the NFL. Foote is a heady player...which is one of the big knocks on Rey Malgalgalgaouluagluagluaga.

I don't know what the DT situation looks like in Detroit...they're too low on my "Give A Crap" meter....but if they're pretty decent, the Foote will do wonders for your team. He can mentor your young linebackers...something Rey Malgluagluagluaglua will need as opposed to be able to provide.

Mr n00b responds with:
Quote:
Dollars shouldn't mean shit to a team who cannot sell out their stadium. They need the best possible players.

Foote is unproven in the 4-3 in the pros. As for mentoring... ask Foote how well he mentored Simmons last year. He was pissed about having to come off the field for him and pushed to leave the team the first chance he got.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #9
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

Hopefully he will find the type of success he is looking for. A big fish in a small pond maybe?
AllD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479

He wanted to be a starter all the time and not share anytime with anyone...he got his wish.