Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default AFCN Chat with James Walker

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=26314

Steeler Questions only so yuin's don't have to read so much. - mesa

Chat with James Walker

Welcome to The Show! On Tuesday, ESPN.com AFC North blogger James Walker will stop by to give his thoughts on the NFL offseason.

Walker joined ESPN.com in 2008 after three seasons covering the Cleveland Browns for the Columbus Dispatch. He also covered the Cincinnati Bengals and Cleveland Cavaliers at the Dispatch. Walker grew up in Hyattsville, Md., before attending Temple University, graduating in 2001 with a B.A. in communications and mass media. He resides in the Cleveland area.

Send your questions now and join Walker on Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET!

Walker Archive: Columns | AFC North Blog | Chat | NFL index

SportsNation James Walker: Hello everyone. Let's see what everyone has in terms of AFC North questions this week.

joe flacco ratbird [via mobile]: james i know u think im good but im truly scared of the black n gold. being a kid who wears purple on the field... maybe theyll play beck against pit?

SportsNation James Walker: I figured to start the chat with a good joke. It may lighten the mood a little this week.

Ron Pittsburgh PA: wow. 4pm finally here! Greetings JW When is a released players salary held against the cap and when doesn't it count? Foote's release frees up $2M. Would cutting or trading Starks free up the entire $8M?

SportsNation James Walker: Hey, Ron. Salaries are always cleared when a player is cut because those payments are made every week during the season. It's the various bonuses (signing, roster, option, etc.) that usually counts against the cap when a player is cut. The team won't cut Starks, but if it renegotiated a long-term deal that would free up much of that $8 million.

Matt, Pittsburgh: In regards to Steelers training camp, did Sepulveda punt? He was sorely missed last year.

SportsNation James Walker: Good question, Matt. Sepulveda was present but the Steelers did not let him punt during minicamp. I think the team is just being cautious right now.

MauiTom (Kahului, HI): How did the Steelers' rookies look at their minicamp? Any standouts?

SportsNation James Walker: I like Evander Hood's mentality. He has good size and a good motor. But without contact, I don't want to read into that too much. Mike Wallace is really, really fast.

Elliott (Springfield, MA): The Steelers are NOT the team of the decade and they will not be even if they win Super Bowl XLIV. They won their only two SB's this decade when the quarterbacks of better teams (Bengals in 05, Pats in 08) went down with injuries. The Bengals would have beaten the Steelers if not for a cheap shot to Palmer. And the Pats would have dominated again last year if Brady wouldn't have gotten taken out in week one. So please, don't talk about a Steelers dynasty anymore because it's just not happening.

SportsNation James Walker: It would be a good debate, and that is all part of it Elliott. Also, don't mistake "team of the decade" for "dynasty" because those are two separate things. If Pittsburgh wins its third Super Bowl in five years, it would be a dynasty. As far as team of the decade, that is debatable.

SportsNation James Walker: The Patriots of 2001-2004 also are a dynasty, by the way.

Mike (Altoona, Pa): When it's all said and done, who wins the WR3 position for the Steelers...Sweed, McDonald, Baker, or Wallace?

SportsNation James Walker: Unless the injury bug comes into play, I think Limas Sweed wins this job. I saw a lot of good things from him last weekend. He's going to be fine in his second year.

Michael (Iowa): Why even post what Elliott (Springfield,MA) wrote? It brings nothing to the chat except his own weird insecurities.

SportsNation James Walker: I wanted to explain the difference between "team of the decade" and "dynasty."

Andy Prough, Kyle, TX: Hi JW, Love your blog - I've never been so informed on the AFC North. Did you get to see Keenan Lewis run with the DB's in Steelers camp? How about Joe Burnett? Either of them look like they could potentially see some playing time?

SportsNation James Walker: Thanks, Andy. Of the players you mentioned, Keenan Lewis did catch my eye this weekend. He has pretty good size for a corner and moves fluid, which is important for the position. I want to see how physical he can be with pads on, because ultimately that will determine if he plays on that defense.

Matty Ice (The Burg, PA): James, Hate to lose Foote but Timmons seems ready to take over. Should the all us Steeler fans be worried?

SportsNation James Walker: Lawrence Timmons is ready. He's had two years to learn the system. I'd be more worried about who's behind Timmons in case someone gets injured.

SportsNation James Walker: On that note, I'm going to have to exit. Thanks again for all the great questions this week.
-JW
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:22 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,570 Times in 1,509 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: AFCN Chat with James Walker

Nice read thanks.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

OMG is EVERY Mashole the same? These jackasses just never let up, do they?

Elliott (Springfield, MA): The Steelers are NOT the team of the decade and they will not be even if they win Super Bowl XLIV. They won their only two SB's this decade when the quarterbacks of better teams (Bengals in 05, Pats in 08) went down with injuries. The Bengals would have beaten the Steelers if not for a cheap shot to Palmer. And the Pats would have dominated again last year if Brady wouldn't have gotten taken out in week one. So please, don't talk about a Steelers dynasty anymore because it's just not happening.

I'd like to beat this nitwit into next week with his own giant stupidity.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

Pats only won Super Bowls when they cheated

They haven't won jack without cheating
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Best line from the chat:

"Mike Wallace is really, really fast."

I think we are in for a very fun season folks.

Hines
Holmes
Sweed
Wallace
McDonald

I GOT A FEELING!

PITTSBURGH IS GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!
Old 05-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

HAHA

those patriot fans are scared that we are taking away their mojo of being the team fo the decade.....no cheating=no winning/karma
Old 05-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,768 Times in 1,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post

SportsNation James Walker: Unless the injury bug comes into play, I think Limas Sweed wins this job. I saw a lot of good things from him last weekend. He's going to be fine in his second year.

SportsNation James Walker: Thanks, Andy. Of the players you mentioned, Keenan Lewis did catch my eye this weekend. He has pretty good size for a corner and moves fluid, which is important for the position. I want to see how physical he can be with pads on, because ultimately that will determine if he plays on that defense.

-JW
I think all the SWEEEEEEEED fans can be a bit confident that he will step up and be the #3 WR this season.

I also think the majority of Steeler fans are gonna be pleasantly surprised by Keenan Lewis. The kid looks like more of a "shutdown corner" than anybody on our current roster. He looks to be a slightly less physical version of Ike Taylor, with better cover skills.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
mmalone
Team Captain

Member Number: 13521

what is this palmer crap MASS, that was the biggest accident of a play ive seen. even in super slow motion, there was not a hint of foul play. a truly lame comment.
Also, you folks forgot about our secret weapon, Frank Summers.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

The Pats fan forgot to mention they haven't won a super bowl without the other teams tapes.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #10
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
OMG is EVERY Mashole the same? These jackasses just never let up, do they?

I'd like to beat this nitwit into next week with his own giant stupidity.
I could care less who the team of the decade is. Win or lose this year the Pats can have that title. The Steelers' Organization has evolved beyond a mere team of a decade battle. We have the best regular season record since the merger and have won the most Super Bowls.

Enjoy your little pursuit of team of the decade Pats fans. We are waiting far beyond you.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote