Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 05-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default IBM/Lenovo vs. Dell

So you all know my laptop crashed last Sunday. Yeah, it was a Dell. Crashed two and a half years after it was shipped to me as a refurbished unit. . . because my OTHER Dell laptop crashed and they couldn't fix it, after 2 and 3/4 years.

So I called Lenovo-- yes, their laptops are a bit more expensive. However, they have both sales resp AND tech reps who's mother tongue is English (even though Lenovo is a chinese company, which shows BRILLIANT marketing strategy on their part). More importantly, their tech reps are actually TRAINED TECHS instead of operators who type into a computer and read from a screen.

I am sold. It Lenovo for me from now on.

Oh yeah...

I am still going to build my desktop, and then use GOTOMYPC to access it. That is why I bought a laptop is very fast online, but only a dual core 2.5 mgh chip/motherboard.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927
Default Re: IBM/Lenovo vs. Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
So you all know my laptop crashed last Sunday. Yeah, it was a Dell. Crashed two and a half years after it was shipped to me as a refurbished unit. . . because my OTHER Dell laptop crashed and they couldn't fix it, after 2 and 3/4 years.

So I called Lenovo-- yes, their laptops are a bit more expensive. However, they have both sales resp AND tech reps who's mother tongue is English (even though Lenovo is a chinese company, which shows BRILLIANT marketing strategy on their part). More importantly, their tech reps are actually TRAINED TECHS instead of operators who type into a computer and read from a screen.

I am sold. It Lenovo for me from now on.

Oh yeah...

I am still going to build my desktop, and then use GOTOMYPC to access it. That is why I bought a laptop is very fast online, but only a dual core 2.5 mgh chip/motherboard.
Funny thing with Dells. My first Dell was a desktop that lost its main drive after a year, then again at 4 years. My second lost its power supply, then motherboard, then RAM modules, then BOTH drives over a 3 year period. The case still works though. No more Dells.

Replaced with HPs both laptops and desktops. The only problems with them to date have been Vista related

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

I don't know. Everything about the Lenovo laptop I have at work suggests "cheap Chinese piece of crap."

Of course, I've never really had any failures of the computer itself, but there have been plenty of Vista-related problems. I really think the issue is that Lenovo laptops do not run Vista very well, in part because the pre-loaded Lenovo "helper" programs actually interfere with the OS and/or cause hangups by hogging the same resources at the same time. I cannot tell you frustrating it is to have the hard drive just start to spin and spin and spin and spin and spin and spin and spin and spin and spin and spin and spin and spin for no particular reason, or all of a sudden your pointer turns to the little Vista waiting circle and won't go back. I've been running Vista on three other machines and never had that problem with anything but the Lenovo.

If I had it to do over again, I'd just format the hard drive and re-install Windows immediately after taking it out of the box, but now that would be too much of a pain in the ass with all the other stuff I'd have to re-install as well.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

CMU, where I work, has some kind of deal with IBM/Lenovo on a special build for the university, and they are pretty expensive - over $1800. I've used older IBMs and own an old IBM T21 that I picked up for shits and giggles at a garage sale last year for $10. They certainly are built well and are sturdy (at least the older T series when they were still IBM), but they were pretty slow running XP Pro. I've not heard of too many issues with hardware failures, mostly user error or the OS blowing up for whatever reason. The one Dell laptop I worked on was not only extremely slow, but the battery had died completely about 18 months after it was first purchased, according to the owner, and could only run on AC power. Other than that, I don't know too much about Dell laptops. I own a Toshiba A215, and I love it. I've had the hard drive fail the very day the warranty expired and had to replace it, but other than that, I've had no issues with it.

Also Preacher, make sure you ask if a copy of the actual OS is included with your system. Some companies only give you a set of recovery discs so that you can reinstall the drivers and other software that came with your system in case of a system crash, but it does you no good if the drive itself fails and you need to replace it, because they do not include a copy of the OS. Toshiba is one of those companies, and they charge you $19.95 if you want a copy of the OS that was installed on your system, which is complete bullshit. Luckily I got a copy of Vista Ultimate for free from work, so my ass was saved there.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post

Also Preacher, make sure you ask if a copy of the actual OS is included with your system. Some companies only give you a set of recovery discs so that you can reinstall the drivers and other software that came with your system in case of a system crash, but it does you no good if the drive itself fails and you need to replace it, because they do not include a copy of the OS. Toshiba is one of those companies, and they charge you $19.95 if you want a copy of the OS that was installed on your system, which is complete bullshit. Luckily I got a copy of Vista Ultimate for free from work, so my ass was saved there.
Actually, I already asked, and they said that they couldn't do it because of licensing with Microsoft. Instead, I had to burn a disk when I get it.

I don't care either way as I plan on building my desktop and getting VISTA Ultimate for it. Software licenses allow for an install on a desktop AND a laptop. So I am not worried about that.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Interesting. I've always had a good experience with Dells. I'm posting from a 2003 Dell that's starting to show its age but still works for the most part. When I bought this one I gave my 2001 Dell to my sister and BIL, and that one worked until Katrina. I got a Dell laptop for Christmas in 2006 and the only problem is the battery life isn't what it used to be. And at my last job in New Orleans (2001-2005), I left behind the same Dell I inherited.

I had a Compaq in grad school that was mostly good (had to wipe the hard drive once but that was probably Winblows related). The only sucky computer I ever had was a Gateway.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:09 PM   #7
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Actually, I already asked, and they said that they couldn't do it because of licensing with Microsoft. Instead, I had to burn a disk when I get it.

I don't care either way as I plan on building my desktop and getting VISTA Ultimate for it. Software licenses allow for an install on a desktop AND a laptop. So I am not worried about that.
Heh. Figures it would be Microsoft that wouldn't allow it, the greedy bastards. I actually was not aware of that. Dell, BTW, does include a copy of the OS in their set of recovery discs, at least for their desktops, so the licensing must be different for each company.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:25 AM   #8
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

When drives fail now, it is cost effective to replace them with after market solid-state drives. Storage capacity is normally 250GB or less @ about $1.50 per GB, but removes the most vulnerable moving part in the system. SSDs also reduce heat and improve speed.

I have always had good luck with Dells and never wanted to pay the 25% premium for a Lenovo with similar features. My job forced me to buy a Vision brand laptop (2 GHz duo-core & 120 GB HDD @ $1400) with a shock drive, but other parts in the system such as USB port and screen failed in less than a year.
AllD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

I heard after 1,000 write cycles SSD's start to go bad and start corrupting files.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

I bought my son a Gateway in the mid to late 90's. He used and upgraded that thing for 10 years before it finally gave out. I bought myself a Gateway nine years ago and the only thing I ever added to it was more memory until I maxed that out, and a new power supply ($25) just so it would still run to get the pictures, etc, transfered to the new computer. I just broke down this February and bought a new....you guessed it..........Gateway. I have had zero problems with it. The only problem I ever had was Millenium kept crashing so I upgraded to XP and it ran great. ( I use free AVG for the virus and a paid subscription for Spyware Doctor ).

BTW...my old Gateway is still running, albiet slow as molasses. I'm working on getting some things off of it before it gets decommissioned.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote