Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 05-08-2009, 01:44 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Washington awaits matchup with ex-Steelers teammates

Washington awaits matchup with ex-Steelers teammates
Thursday, May 7, 2009 at 10:39pm
By Terry McCormick
http://nashvillecitypaper.com/conten...lers-teammates

Sure, all the Tennessee Titans have Sept. 10 circled on their calendars. That’s the date of the Thursday night season opener against the Pittsburgh Steelers, accompanied by a national telecast on NBC.

But for one of the newest Titans, that game will be a red-letter date he is looking forward and won’t soon forget.

Receiver Nate Washington, who signed a six-year, $27 million to leave the Steelers for the Titans in March, says that game might be bigger than Super Bowl he won with Pittsburgh in February.

“That might be the biggest game of my career. I’ve been praying about it day in and day out,” Washington said. “That game might be bigger than the Super Bowl [for me], because not only do I get to play against the defending champs and the No. 1 defense, but I get to play against guys I consider brothers for the past four years. It’s not only going to be a big thing for me, but one of the most heartfelt things I’ve ever accomplished.”

Washington, who will receive his Super Bowl ring in June along with the rest of the Steelers, said he still has plenty of ties to Pittsburgh, even though he is finding his way around the Titans offense during the off-season work.

“There’s no hard feelings with those guys. I still talk to some of them on a daily basis. They still treat me like family,” Washington said. “They know, at the end of the day, it was a move I had to make, a business move with money and it was an opportunity for my career. It’s good to come from an organization like that and to an organization like this.”

Coming to Tennessee has not been without a few drawbacks — namely breaking old habits from his Steelers days to learning the Titans ways.

“For the most part, it’s going to be a lot harder than I thought it was going to be.
I thought my physical talent was going to slide me through, but it’s not,” Washington said. “It’s going to be a lot of learning all over again. They run a lot of the same things we ran in Pittsburgh; they just call it a little different. But at the same time, they’re used to doing it different ways and being in different spots. It’s going to be tough, but it’s been working so far.”

Specifically, Washington has had to cut down on the freelancing in his routes, that was allowed and even encouraged in Pittsburgh when quarterback Ben Roethlisberger would scramble behind the line to buy time for his receivers to get open.

Titans offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger prefers a stricter timing-based passing game with a pure pocket passer in Kerry Collins, and Washington is learning to adjust accordingly.

“I’m so used to running a route and then getting open, whereas here, you’re running to get open. I think it’s going to work,” Washington said. “Kerry has been working with me. Vince [Young] has been working with me. The quarterbacks have been working with me. Coach Dinger and Coach [Fred] Graves have been doing a good job of letting me know this is how it goes around here, and I’ve just been adjusting to it.”

So what sorts of nuances are different for Washington between Pittsburgh and Tennessee?

“You’ve got to get out of your breaks quicker, and my angles are different from what they would have been in Pittsburgh,” Washington said. “Even so much as a curl, you’d run a curl, but then sometimes you’d flatten out because Ben would run. But here, you curl, and boom, it’s right there.”

Collins, for one, is excited to have Washington on board, and believes the ex-Steeler can be a big help in a passing game that, while still conservative, has more potential potency than a year ago when he threw for 2,676 yards and 12 TDs.

“It shows that we’re willing to do what it takes to bring the guys in there to improve the passing game, which I think we need to. I’m obviously excited about the additions,” Collins said. “I’m not going to sit here and say we’re going to turn into the Arizona Cardinals all of a sudden and throw for 4,500 yards, but I think you’ll see improvement. I think you’ll see improvement right away. We threw the ball when we had to last year and we were effective doing it, but bringing those guys in, I think we’ll be more consistent.”

That’s something Washington is working on, even as he learns the ins and outs of the Titans offense and continues the conversion from the Steelers system.

“Everything is different. It’s coming pretty good, but at the same time, it’s going to take a lot more time,” Washington said. “It’s just in the second day of practice, I know now that the routes they have, and this is where they expect it. It’s just now relating it into the plays we have. It’s going to be a slow process, but I’m just working on not making the same mistake twice.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:55 AM   #2
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225
Default Re: Washington awaits matchup with ex-Steelers teammates

It's all good... whats he supposed to say...
Old 05-08-2009, 04:13 AM   #3
jev7452
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11286

i just hope that he appreciates his ring when it comes in the mail come June.. last ones he's probably gonna receive
Old 05-08-2009, 04:20 AM   #4
redst3
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 480

When he does get the ring, I hope he doesn't drop it.

Just kidding...He's a good enough guy. 27 million, huh? No wonder Sunday Ticket gets more expensive every year.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:56 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,717 Times in 1,572 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Nate the only thing I can say is look out for Clark you was on his team last year but this year you will get the wood layed to you.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Good luck Nate your gonna need it.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

He'd better hope that Kerry Collins doesn't get hurt. Vince Young is brutal.

He got 2 rings with us. It's not bad to retire with 2 rings.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by redst3 View Post
When he does get the ring, I hope he doesn't drop it.

Just kidding...He's a good enough guy. 27 million, huh? No wonder Sunday Ticket gets more expensive every year.
As long as it's not under thrown, he probably won't.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,163 Times in 1,474 Posts

The guy is living the dream. He and McFadden both break in the same year, both get 2 Super Bowl rings and now are both getting paid. Can't hate a guy for that.

I think its funny that the Titans passing game seems so precise in the way they run their routes, compared to the Steelers.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
The guy is living the dream. He and McFadden both break in the same year, both get 2 Super Bowl rings and now are both getting paid. Can't hate a guy for that.

I think its funny that the Titans passing game seems so precise in the way they run their routes, compared to the Steelers.
Kerry Collins is a very accurate passer with a cannon arm, but he is a statue. I think Nate will do well there since he gets deep fast.