Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 05-08-2009, 01:36 AM   #1
Phenomenal TJ
Water Boy

Member Number: 10026
Default Bitter Rivalries Fuel Playoff Runs

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...l-playoff-runs

Quote:
The AFC North ranks among one of the toughest divisions in all of football, perhaps itís the proximity of the four teams, maybe itís the similarities between the teams, and just maybe itís due to a genuine mix of hatred and respect shown for one another.
Phenomenal TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:49 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,176 Times in 1,350 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Bitter Rivalries Fuel Playoff Runs

The rival now is definetly the Ravens both teams come to play and hit real hard. The Browns use to give us good games then it was the Bengals but one thing is for sure we own the North.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:54 AM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

You should hear the Bungal fans........they all really think we are scared of them and they are our biggest rivals. When I tell them that the Browns are our long time rival and the Ravens are our most hated enemy and that that the Bungs are like insignificant .......they don't believe me.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
You should hear the Bungal fans........they all really think we are scared of them and they are our biggest rivals. When I tell them that the Browns are our long time rival and the Ravens are our most hated enemy and that that the Bungs are like insignificant .......they don't believe me.
Just answer them with, "who are the bengals? I thought OSU was the Buckeyes?"

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
Stover4Prez
Banned

Member Number: 11715

I don't really think it is the toughest division. There are really only 2 contenders at this point and while our rivalry is enough to carry the entire division, the division itself is not strong as a whole. The Bungles and Browns still have terrible teams and aren't going to be contenders for at least a couple years. Best current rivalry, yes. Toughest division? maybe not.
Stover4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stover4Prez View Post
I don't really think it is the toughest division. There are really only 2 contenders at this point and while our rivalry is enough to carry the entire division, the division itself is not strong as a whole. The Bungles and Browns still have terrible teams and aren't going to be contenders for at least a couple years. Best current rivalry, yes. Toughest division? maybe not.
I agree. While the beatings the ravens and Steelers give each other bi-annually are great football, the other teams drag the competition level down.

I'd have to say that the toughest division in the AFC would have to be the AFC South with the Colts, Titans, and Jags being tough and the Texans on the rise (at least presumably). In the NFC, right now, the NFC East with the skins, iggles, gints, and cowgirls. That might be the toughest division right now in the NFL, with the NFC South and North giving chase.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
WeegiesWarriors
Banned

Member Number: 13183

Steelers and Bengals have never really been a rivalry because both teams really haven't been that good together aside from '05. In the 70s the Steelers were... the Steelers and the Bengals were mediocre at best. Then in the 80's the Bengals got good for a while and we struggled. Since the early 90's the term "Bungle" was coined while we have had great success. You can't get a good rivalry when neither team plays each other for the division on a consistent basis.

Seriously, since 92 when the Bengals started ripping off 4 win seasons did you really care about that game? Hell no. It was one that I was willing to sacrifice to do family stuff.

Steelers/Ravens is a rivalry because we've both been good at the same time.
WeegiesWarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
The rival now is definetly the Ravens both teams come to play and hit real hard. The Browns use to give us good games then it was the Bengals but one thing is for sure we own the North.
Are you sure it'll be the Ravens this season? At the same time last year, everyone was talking about how we were going to have to duke it out with the Browns. The one before that, it was supposed to be the Bengals' year. Our big division rival keeps shifting every season, because none of them can keep it together for more than one good year in a row.

I can't honestly say for sure that the Ravens are going to collapse this year, but the seeds are there. Their defense comes back weaker, and their QB is still so young that there's a good 50 percent chance he could psych himself out or go into a season-long slump at any time. And let's face it, without him, their offense is trash.

So anyway, with a little luck, we could get the closest thing to a free pass we've seen in years.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #9
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
Are you sure it'll be the Ravens this season? At the same time last year, everyone was talking about how we were going to have to duke it out with the Browns. The one before that, it was supposed to be the Bengals' year. Our big division rival keeps shifting every season, because none of them can keep it together for more than one good year in a row.

I can't honestly say for sure that the Ravens are going to collapse this year, but the seeds are there. Their defense comes back weaker, and their QB is still so young that there's a good 50 percent chance he could psych himself out or go into a season-long slump at any time. And let's face it, without him, their offense is trash.

So anyway, with a little luck, we could get the closest thing to a free pass we've seen in years.
So if I follow what you're saying, it's only a matter of time before all 3 teams return to the cellar and we roll through this division like it was the 70's?

Old 05-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
So if I follow what you're saying, it's only a matter of time before all 3 teams return to the cellar and we roll through this division like it was the 70's?
Well, not quite, but this could be one year where we get lucky and do that. Odds are at least one of the three other teams will be decent in a given year, but my point is they're all so up-and-down that it's hard to have one steady rival.

Baltimore is probably the closest to being consistently good over the past few seasons, but they may actually be on the way down depending on how their defense holds up. As guys get old and/or leave for more money, they could end up as just another random team with a below-average offense.