Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 05-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Rek
Starter

Member Number: 10681
Default Pittsburgh Steelers Signed James Harrison, Now What?

Now that the Steelers and outside linebacker James Harrison agreed on a long-term contract, the team's work is hardly finished. The Steelers have a number of key players going into the final year of their contract, and the team has a longstanding policy of not engaging in contract negotiations once the season starts.

With that in mind here is a list of projected starters going into the final year of their contracts and a take on how things will shake out for each.

Ryan Clark, FS

Clark has been a surprise for the Steelers thus far. When signed, the expectation was for him to start for a year or two then head way to Anthony Smith as the stater. Well "Mr. Guarantee" is now a Packer and we all know how he worked out.

The problem is that Clark has become a very important part to the Steelers defense and compliments Troys style well also the Steelers have very little depth behind him to groom for the future at this time.

I look for the Steelers to get a deal done with Clark that locks him up four or five years. He has earned that much from the team and the difference of him in the line up and out of it is night and day as we saw when he was lost for the 2007 season to a spleen injury.

Getting Clark resigned is a very important key to keeping the Steelers defense on top of the league.

Willie Colon, RT

Colon getting resigned is about 50/50. The biggest factor will have to do with how the draft shakes out this year. If the Steelers can find a solid tackle that can start by season two, I don't see them resigning Colon, unless he signs for a reasonable amount and is willing to play a back up role.

Casey Hampton, NT

Big Snack is a my wild card of this group. I can both see the Steelers resigning him and let him go at the same time. He is not getting any younger and his level of play is not what it once was. Hampton getting resigned will 100 percent depend on the draft and if the Steelers find a solid DT to groom to take his spot in a year or two.

Having Hoke on the roster to file to the gap between Hampton and a rookie transition will make it easier to allow Big Snack to eat his way out of Pittsburgh.

Justin Hartwig, C

Though Hartwig has filled in nicely for the Steelers at center, he is not the long term answer at the position. His resigning also will depend on the draft, but not the way many think.

The logical thinking is if the Steelers draft a center then its see ya later alligator. Remember though, D. Stapleton is a true center playing guard and the Steelers brass seem very high on him.

So if the Steelers can find a solid guard prospect in the draft I can see them looking to Darnell to move back to his natural center position and allowing Hartwig to leave via free agency.

Brett Keisel, DE

Keisel has also played very well for the Steelers, but unlike when A. Smith his out of the lineup, the Steelers defense did not miss a beat when he was out four or five games last season, thus making him expendable. I realize the staff loves his versatility but he could easily price himself right out of Pittsburgh.

He is another player that his job hinges on the draft. With his age and the fact the Steelers are looking to get younger on the DL, my gut tells me the team will find his replacement in this years draft and he is in his last season as a Steeler.

Heath Miller, TE

The best TE in the league period. Get r done. This is a MUST signing for the Steelers and I have full faith that the Steelers and Miller have a vast future ahead. No way the team lets Miller leave, expect him to be one of the next players on the clock to get his contract signed.

Willie Parker, RB

Before I say anything let it be known I am a very big Parker fan. I saw his potential from day one and have been rooting for his success since. With that said "Fast" Willy might be in his final days as a Steeler. The brass did not draft Mendenhall for nothing.

Also with Moore emerging last season as a solid No. 2 and third down back I can see this being Parker's final season as a Steeler. The draft will be the tell tail of the tape. If we grab a HB that is more then just a short yardage type, I think that will write Parker's ticket out of Pittsburgh.

Jeff Reed, K
What would the team do without their resident troll doll? This is a no brain-er, Reed is the only kicker that can boot the ball inside "Hines" Field, I see a deal getting done to make Reed our kicker for many years to come.

Max Starks, OT

Max is an enigma! He seems to play like shit until he gets benched then steps up his game once someone gets hurt and he is forced to play again. Strange but true. His service to the team is very important though as he is able to play both the RT and LT spot.

The problem with getting Starks signed though is what motivation does he have? Would you give up almost $9 million bucks as the franchise guy, I don't think so and will be very surprised if he does too.

A long-term deal might be in max's future I just don't see it anytime soon.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rison-now-what
Old 05-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
bigjamesharrison2
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13323
Default Re: Pittsburgh Steelers Signed James Harrison, Now What?

I'm hoping our FO can manage to get most of these guys resigned, but unfortunately, I just don't think that's possible. We will be taking several key losses this year. Hopefully, those losses won't include Heath Miller, Ryan Clark, or Hampton. I also hope that Fast Willie has a good, injury free year and will continue on as a steeler. If not, he can still get plenty of money going to play somewhere else.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Now what?

Football excitement is done till August.

Thank the gods for hockey and nascar.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Where is Santo on his list? Also, he is forgetting that Santo and Colon and probably Heath won't become FA anyways without a CBA in place. Then the question will just be if we are willing to match a RFA offer - I think.

But, I do agree about Clark. We need to sign him.

Last edited by OneForTheToe; 05-10-2009 at 04:30 PM.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
bigjamesharrison2
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13323

You're right. Santo needs to be on that list as well. He is well on his way to becoming an Elite NFL Wide Receiver, and would hate to see him go to another team, although I could see him somewhere else if he asked for an outrageous amount of $.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
msafford
Starter

Location: Perrysburg, OH (grew up in Lisbon, OH- 50 miles from Pittsburgh)
Member Number: 2447

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
Where is Santo on his list? Also, he is forgetting that Santo and Colon and probably Heath won't become FA anyways without a CBA in place. Then the question will just be if we are willing to match a RFA offer - I think.

But, I do agree about Clark. We need to sign him.
Santo's contract isn't up after this next season. This is just for players whose contracts are up after this year.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479

I think that people are gonna to start to want more money since Pittsburgh has broke their tradition of not signing players to big deals...it will back fire because everyone will want top dollar. Back to Harrison though, I hope no body expects him to play out the full contract he signed...give him 3 years and Pittsburgh will cut cap room.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

Pittsburgh Steelers Signed James Harrison, Now What?

win the Super Bowl again?
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:42 PM   #9
steelerguy26
Water Boy

Member Number: 9122

Santonio Holmes contract

7/28/2006: Signed a five-year, $8.11 million contract. The deal includes $5.42 million guaranteed. 2009: $700,000, 2010: $755,000, 2011: Free Agent

He is not on my list because the post was about those players who will be free agents at the end of the 2009 season. His contract runs through the end of 2010.

By the way thanks for posting this Rek. Nice to see my stuff is actually getting read..... lol.

http://pittsburgh-blitz.com

Last edited by steelerguy26; 05-10-2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: added thanks
steelerguy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:14 PM   #10
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

obviously there are a couple guys on that list i do not want to go anywhere.. but Reed is definitely a must keep. we have been spoiled over the past few years by his reliability. i wouldn't want the Steelers to go through the process of finding a reliable kicker. that could get really messy and frustrating.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote