Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Common misconceptions about the NFL

Those of us who have been fans for more years than Obama has been in office may have noticed some of the basic misconceptions that the "Talking Heads" keep spewing. There are times that I want to throw a brick through the television as I hear unsubstantiated reports and opinions that are constantely regurgitated for public consumption.

So to set the record straight, and to refute certain claims with actual...*gasp*...FACTS, lets look at some of the most common stories that piss me off.

1) The Patriots are a great drafting team.

WRONG...The worst drafting team in the past three years, holding on to only a little more than half of its drafted players is the New England Patriots. the Patriots are the masters of picking up veterans via trades to fill holes in their lineup, but their draft classes have been INCREDIBLY suspect.

Now some will point out that the Steelers drafts, though better than the Patriots, have had little success. But unlike the Pats, we dont need to overpay other peoples draft picks since we show an uncanny ability to bring in rookies as UDFA's that have the talent to make an impact.

2) Goodell is strict disiplinarian.

WRONG...Goodell has proven himself to be "hard-nosed" only in regards to players with extreme legal issues. He is a puppet to the owners. Kraft has his hand so far up Goodell's butt that if Kraft tried to scratch his nose, He and Goodell would bump heads.
The commisioners failure to properly deal with the biggest threat to the integrity of the league (spygate) and his subsequent failure to be forthcoming in the evidence set forth in that case, shows that Goodell is FAR from a disciplinarian, but rather an empty suit without the backbone to stand up against the power movers in the NFL.
Also take into consideration how Goodell bows to the whims of certain teams in regards to rule changes that does little more than pussify the game, and you see a commish without "real" balls. A commish more worried about staying popular with the owners than in looking out for the NFL.

3) Carson Palmer is one of the best QB's in the game.

WRONG....What the hell is this based on. This is another case of the "experts" throwing around terms like "he has all the tools"...and ..."he has poise in the pocket". WTF is that?? I have all the tools nescessary to fix your car, but you DO NOT want me under your hood. The last time I checked, Carson has had one winning season with no playoff wins, and even with his overated WR's he has a life time passer rating less than Ben Roethlisberger's. 'nuff said.

4) Playing the Superbowl in London would be "good for the game"

WRONG...and...BS!!! You see, other than some enlightened & sophisticated overseas fans, the vast majority of the world have their own version of "football". We have tried to get American Football to catch on in Europe and it was a money-losing failure. Does Goodell REALLY think that by denying this counties die-hard's the opportunity to see what very well may be some fans ONLY chance to see their team in the Superbowl, it is a good thing for the game? Think about it...Lets say that in 2012 (or whenever Goodell is throwing around the idea), the Detroit Lions FINALLY make it to the Super Bowl and Grandpa Smith ,who has been a fan since 1930 would have been able to see his team at the big game. But NOOOOO...Goodell has decided that he would give Europe one more chance to "catch the fever".......Idiot.

5) Ray Lewis was innocent

WRONG.......Thats all. (If you think otherwise you may be related to Tim Lumber.)
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Common misconceptions about the NFL

6) Bill Belichick is a HOF coach.

WRONG! Before we can properly evaluate Billy boy, we need to ask two things: What was his record at Cleveland? What will be his record now that NE is no able to cheat?

I'm willing to bet that from here on out, his record at NE is much closer to .500 than it is pre-*. I'm not saying he'll go 36-44 like he did at Cleveland. That was, after all, Cleveland, and he had very limited tools to work with. He's in NE now, and it's a better run franchise, and also has the favor of the commisioner as well as the fact that the players still want to go there still because of the perception that they are winners. They also pay handsome contracts to close-to-has-beens.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
6) Bill Belichick is a HOF coach.

WRONG! Before we can properly evaluate Billy boy, we need to ask two things: What was his record at Cleveland? What will be his record now that NE is no able to cheat?

I'm willing to bet that from here on out, his record at NE is much closer to .500 than it is pre-*. I'm not saying he'll go 36-44 like he did at Cleveland. That was, after all, Cleveland, and he had very limited tools to work with. He's in NE now, and it's a better run franchise, and also has the favor of the commisioner as well as the fact that the players still want to go there still because of the perception that they are winners. They also pay handsome contracts to close-to-has-beens.
If we're going to go that route:

I don't know, what would Nolls record have been if his players wern't roided up?

Belichick got hosed in C-town, Big time.

Around 1994, He looked like he was this close to making the Browns have a New England like defense. In fact, stat-wse the Browns had the best Defense or near the top of it.

1995, many, many people thought the Browns were going to be in a dog fight with Pittsburgh for the AFC Central title. They started the season 3-1, but then the annoucement of the move (F Moddell) sort of screwed up the team, and that was the end of it.

I don't think the cheating mattered all that much, they went 10-6 and just barely missed the playoffs after they got caught, with a guy who hadn't even played a game in the NFL before.

Belichick is a good coach, I have NFL films of the '86, '90 seasons which pretty much credit him the Giants defense being as good as they were thanks to him devising different plays up.

Really, If I could have any coach not named Paul Brown, Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry, Bill Walsh, Woody Hayes, I would take Belichick in a heartbeat.

Time to get over the AFC Title game in '01, '04 and take off the Black and Gold glasses and take a look at what Mumbles has done. He's a good coach, a HOFer, and someone I'm sort of upset is not coaching the Browns at this very moment (Again, F-Moddel).

Also, I still hold by the theory that every team in the league cheats in some way. EVERY TEAM. Even my Browns (though they've been doing a crappy job at it from the looks of it.)
Old 05-11-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodWoodsonwasprettycool View Post
If we're going to go that route:

I don't know, what would Nolls record have been if his players wern't roided up?
Roids were not illegal at the time....nice try.

Quote:
1995, many, many people thought the Browns were going to be in a dog fight with Pittsburgh for the AFC Central title.
Yea, and they thought the same thing last year...how did that work out for ya?

Quote:
I don't think the cheating mattered all that much,
IF it didnt matter and IF it didnt help....and Belichick was aware what the penalty could have been, why risk a fine and public scorn? It EITHER mattered and Belichick is a CHEATER or it didnt matter and Belichick is an IDIOT.

I'll let you decide.

Quote:
Really, If I could have any coach not named Paul Brown, Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry, Bill Walsh, Woody Hayes, I would take Belichick in a heartbeat.
As a Browns fan...that list has GOTTA be a lot longer than that.

Quote:
Time to get over the AFC Title game in '01, '04 and take off the Black and Gold glasses and take a look at what Mumbles has done.
Time to set the dark glasses and white cane to the side and see Belichik for waht he really is.

Quote:
I'm sort of upset is not coaching the Browns at this very moment .
You should be upset that I am not coaching the Browns at this very moment.

Quote:
Also, I still hold by the theory that every team in the league cheats in some way. EVERY TEAM. Even my Browns (though they've been doing a crappy job at it from the looks of it
Weak, unsubstantiated theory based on the "everyone else is doing it" argument. Try that on a cop if you ever get pulled over for drunk driving.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Everyone knows Pittsburgh is the center of the universe and obviously the only place you could get roids in the 70's.

Go figure.......No one else could get them and had no idea what they were.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Everyone knows Pittsburgh is the center of the universe and obviously the only place you could get roids in the 70's.

Go figure.......No one else could get them and had no idea what they were.

And we can all ignore the fact that Browns players...Ryan Tucker and Tim Couch were both pinched in this century for steroid use.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,199 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Yep, just ask a certain Bills linebacker that played in the '80s - he knows all about it.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
And we can all ignore the fact that Browns players...Ryan Tucker and Tim Couch were both pinched in this century for steroid use.
But that didn't help them at all so it doesn't really count

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Roids were not illegal at the time....nice try..
I love how you defend that.

Sure we let players harm their bodies and their well being, and we gave ourselves an unfair advantage over other teams. But it wasn't "illegal" or anything. Cannot believe you'd actually stand up for that and then scream at a guy filming a football practice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Courson

Also, and yes, I know of the Lyle Alzado example, and he was like that in Denver and Oakland, prior to coming to the Kardiac Kids. Coach Sam, Moddell and Paul Brown were all the first to come out against it.

Steroids destroyed a lot of players health in that era, some mumbling guy in a hoodie filming didn't do anything but give him a slight advantage. And again, guaranteed that every team in the league including the Steelers, and the Browns had done a similar thing.

Funny part is, neither was Belichick's taping until after 2006 when the league made it very specific that such a thing wasn't allowed in a memo. The accused taping, much of it was done before the aforementioned memo.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:10 PM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,199 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodWoodsonwasprettycool View Post
I love how you defend that.

Sure we let players harm their bodies and their well being, and we gave ourselves an unfair advantage over other teams. But it wasn't "illegal" or anything. Cannot believe you'd actually stand up for that and then scream at a guy filming a football practice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Courson

Also, and yes, I know of the Lyle Alzado example, and he was like that in Denver and Oakland, prior to coming to the Kardiac Kids. Coach Sam, Moddell and Paul Brown were all the first to come out against it.

Steroids destroyed a lot of players health in that era, some mumbling guy in a hoodie filming didn't do anything but give him a slight advantage. And again, guaranteed that every team in the league including the Steelers, and the Browns had done a similar thing.

Funny part is, neither was Belichick's taping until after 2006 when the league made it very specific that such a thing wasn't allowed in a memo. The accused taping, much of it was done before the aforementioned memo.
And I love how you try to paint the Steelers as the only team with players that did roids and basically imply everyone on the team did them (yeah, right - Lambert's and Ham's 30-inch waists really gave their juicing away ) and the '70s Steelers derived an "unfair advantage" from them when a good chunk of the rest of the league's players at the time did them (and, like it or not, they were legal at the time - video spying was NEVER legal), yet turn around and defend Belicheat by saying "everyone does it." If that's the case, PROVE IT. The memo that went out in 2006 was only a reiteration of an already-existing rule:

Quote:
In September 2006, the NFL sent out a memo to all teams reinforcing the NFL rule prohibiting video spying.
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24608413/

A memo does not set league policy, nor does it confer the passage of a new rule. It was already against the rules, it was always against the rules, and it just so happens he was arrogant enough to keep right on doing it even after the memo went out. If I didn't know better, I'd say you were a typical slobbering Pats homer.

Last edited by fansince'76; 05-11-2009 at 04:48 PM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote