Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
billybob
Banned

Member Number: 5364
Default Is it really wise ?

I know they're mixed feelings about our offensive line . I have defended them with all my might , and continue to do so .
My reasoning has been quite realistic , in that to keep interchanging personel , would not bring the coheisive qualities you want in such an integral part of your team .
I know that many , seem to lean toward replacing Stapleton with Urbik . I think that would only negate what strides they made last season , no matter how small they may have appeared to be, to some .
I realize that Stapleton is playing out of position , but i assure you , he will have the chance to hold onto his starting position . It will take a whole lot of quality learning , without the experience , for Urbik to wrench that spot from Stapleton . In no way am i saying that it is impossible , merely improbable . I have been wrong a lot , but not so much when it comes to the o-line , i feel very strongly about leaving the " Mach 5 " intact for one more season at the very least .
To change that line now would not be the wisest thing to do in my opinion . They have been referred to as the " weakest link " all too often . Would chucking in an inexperienced lineman in the NFL , really help toward defending our Superbowl title ?
Lets hear from the Nation .
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,177 Times in 2,657 Posts
Default Re: Is it really wise ?

i think urbick beats him out, and it ultimately makes hartwig a better player.

it will be like upgrading 2 positions. 3rd round linemen come in and start as rookies all the time in the nfl and he should be no different.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Very wise in my opinion....as much as our tackles are demonized it was our interior line that gave up the most sacks.

LT: 14. Max Starks - 4 Sacks Allowed (11 Starts)
LG: 31. Chris Kemoeatu - 7.5 Sacks Allowed (16 Starts)
C: 32. Justin Hartwig - 6.5 Sacks Allowed (16 Starts)
RG: 26. Darnell Stapleton - 5 Sacks Allowed (12 Starts)
RT: 17. Willie Colon - 5.75 Sacks Allowed (16 Starts)

Out of those three in the middle...Hartwig has the less chance of losing his job. With one year left on his contract they will let him play out while either providing some reps for his future replacement or looking for the next Steeler center.

The two guards gave up 12.5 sacks between them, but it was obvious that Stapleton is the most ill-fitted to be a starter for our scheme. He only started 12 games, and once teams figured out that he didnt have the anchor or strength to stop bull-rushers he was exploited (see Superbowl).

If Hartwig isnt helping Stapleton with bigger D-linemen, he could better cover his own area or assist Kemo.

Even with Kemo having more sacks alllowed, his ceiling is much higher than Stapletons. Keep in mind, Stapleton was the backup Guard who couldnt beat out Simmons or Kemo at the beginning of the season, and only got the starting gig with the Simmons injury
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

I agree with Tony. A stronger right guard would help Hartiwg.

Let's face it, Stapleton was a liability. Colon couldn't help him, since he had enough trouble on his own, so it came down to Hartwig having to compensate for Stapleton's lacks and the result of that was Hartwig giving up some plays and sacks. I love Stapleton, but he's not starter-materiel IMO. Urbik brings a bigger and stronger frame to the table, he has the ability to maul, and he has a good head on his shoulders.

So in my opinion it's wise. I think at this point Kemo is the bigger issue on the line. He needs to up his game to the next notch.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
billybob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i think urbick beats him out, and it ultimately makes hartwig a better player.

it will be like upgrading 2 positions. 3rd round linemen come in and start as rookies all the time in the nfl and he should be no different.
You have an opinion , that somehow i respect . I don't know why . One thing i look at is how over the entire successes of our past teams , we have had some pretty stable lines , with as few as possible changes . That includes both sides of the ball . Would it hurt Urbik to watch for a year ?
Old 05-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Yes, it will be wise. But it won't happen immediately, and it will take some time to find cohesion with urbik
Quote:
So in my opinion it's wise. I think at this point Kemo is the bigger issue on the line. He needs to up his game to the next notch.
If kemo and starks played up to their potential this line would be awesome

I'm rooting for no injuries so the line can continue improving
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,177 Times in 2,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob View Post
You have an opinion , that somehow i respect . I don't know why . One thing i look at is how over the entire successes of our past teams , we have had some pretty stable lines , with as few as possible changes . That includes both sides of the ball . Would it hurt Urbik to watch for a year ?
well, alot regarded him as the 2nd best guard in this years class. i dont think he was a 3rd round pick because he had 3rd round talent and potential, just that there isnt much of a premium for guards to be drafted in the 1st round.

if he is the 2nd best guard, he needs to be on the field asap. if he frees up hartwig to help kemo some, and is able to hold his side with colon, we may see a slight upgrad at 4 positions.

even if slight upgrade means giving up a half a sack less per game, that is huge.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob View Post
. Would it hurt Urbik to watch for a year ?
Why does he need to watch for a year?? He was a 4-year starter at a team that is known for producing 13 NFL O linemen in the past 15 years. Urbik has probably played more O line in the past 4 years than Darnell Stapleton and produced more consistent play.

Over the past 15 years, 13 Wisconsin Badgers offensive linemen have been selected in the NFL draft.....come draft day, NFL teams have viewed Badgers linemen as a wise investment.

Kraig Urbik will be a nice addition to any NFL team. Urbik is the type of hard working, blue collar lineman that makes NFL running games look good. He is a relentless run blocker who plays with a real mean streak.

Urbik should be a very productive NFL player. He is very strong and has the ability to reach linebackers at the second level. He’ll need to work on keeping his technique solid during the game. He will probably slip a little during the draft as guards get devalued but will make a team very happy they drafted him.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/3...rbik-wisconsin
Old 05-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Yes, it will be wise. But it won't happen immediately, and it will take some time to find cohesion with urbik

If kemo and starks played up to their potential this line would be awesome

I'm rooting for no injuries so the line can continue improving
I saw Warren Sapp talk about young guys "finding their right speed". I think this is the problem with Kemo at times. He plays with too much intensity and then burns himself out.

When a 340 lb O lineman is tired he probably could get flat footed and look slow or lazy. The guy sometimes looks like a monster and the next a lazy slob.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
billybob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
well, alot regarded him as the 2nd best guard in this years class. i dont think he was a 3rd round pick because he had 3rd round talent and potential, just that there isnt much of a premium for guards to be drafted in the 1st round.

if he is the 2nd best guard, he needs to be on the field asap. if he frees up hartwig to help kemo some, and is able to hold his side with colon, we may see a slight upgrad at 4 positions.

even if slight upgrade means giving up a half a sack less per game, that is huge.
I have no doubt in my mind that he could bring (Urbik), a strong influence to our line . I question whether to disrupt the continuity of that line , and throw him right in the fire so abruptly .