Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 05-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491
Default Rashard Mendenhall's Rookie Year

Looking at his first year and all the post that Rashard Mendenhall will replace Parker and statements that the Steelers should be looking to trade FWP I was wondering could Mendenhall be another back with a lot of potential but one that is injury prone and never really have that breakout year everyone hoped he would?

Yes I am a big Fan of Parker, but I do want the best back in the backfield and right now Mendenhall is not that back until he shows he can produce for a solid year first, I am a little concerned about him being the #1 RB!

When FWP got hurt, Mendenhall when out for the year in his first game as the starter and is this also the reason we have so many RB/FB on the roster?

By the way I loved the fact we drafted Mendenhall but I still want to see him produce.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Rashard Mendenhall's Rookie Year

This will be the year they give Mendenhall a chance to show whether he's got what it takes or not. With Parker in the last year of his contract, we have a decision to make about the future of our backfield ... and continuing to stick with the Parker-only offense is not going to give us any information to base that decision on.

Hopefully, we'll see more of a mix in the backfield, and Mendenhall's performance will help us decide what's the right thing to do about Parker, which is to not re-sign him.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Sick

You need to have 2 solid backs and I think we have that now. I do wonder what the Steelers plan for Parker will be and what Parker wants as well...
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Can you say pony backfield? I wish it were true but I don't trust that Arians will run the pony. Or the boney maroney even.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
slippy
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5848

mendenhall is a huge question mark. we don't know if he can even pick up the blitz yet.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippy View Post
mendenhall is a huge question mark. we don't know if he can even pick up the bong yet.
Fixed for accuracy. Now that Gary Russell is gone, anyway.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:49 AM   #7
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,942 Times in 1,655 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsteeler View Post
Looking at his first year and all the post that Rashard Mendenhall will replace Parker and statements that the Steelers should be looking to trade FWP I was wondering could Mendenhall be another back with a lot of potential but one that is injury prone and never really have that breakout year everyone hoped he would?

Yes I am a big Fan of Parker, but I do want the best back in the backfield and right now Mendenhall is not that back until he shows he can produce for a solid year first, I am a little concerned about him being the #1 RB!

When FWP got hurt, Mendenhall when out for the year in his first game as the starter and is this also the reason we have so many RB/FB on the roster?

By the way I loved the fact we drafted Mendenhall but I still want to see him produce.
Talk about durability in the backifield Parker has been hurt the last two years. So is he the someone we can depend on or should we go with Mendenhall. Mendenhall went toe to toe will Lewis and lost so he was not running away from contact when he got hurt. So I would like to see him win the starting job I like Willie alot but I would like to see a power runner in our system.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:41 AM   #8
LambertLunatic
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2563

Quote:
and right now Mendenhall is not that back until he shows he can produce for a solid year first, I am a little concerned about him being the #1 RB!
Quote:
mendenhall is a huge question mark. we don't know if he can even pick up the blitz yet.
Are these statements any different than what was said about Parker in '05, or even Jerome in '96?
LambertLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #9
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
... and continuing to stick with the Parker-only offense is not going to give us any information to base that decision on.

Hopefully, we'll see more of a mix in the backfield, and Mendenhall's performance will help us decide what's the right thing to do about Parker, which is to not re-sign him.
Completely agree.

Also, as far as durability, some players have one injury and are healthy the rest of their careers. It's too early to tell w/ Mendy yet imo.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:26 AM   #10
Rotorhead
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

I just have to respond to Galax about Parker because you keep posting Parker is injury prone, his leg was broken at the end of the season, until then he was on his way to win the rushing title so . . . he was fine 2 years ago, last year he was injured so I would call it injuries for one year. Troy was the same, Ben had a bad year, etc. If he is healthy this year our running game will be back and hopefully Reshard will step up.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote