Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Media

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default ESPN : Chat with Troy Polamalu

Welcome to The Show! On Thursday, Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu stops by to chat about his offseason.
Polamalu had a career year in 2008 when he intercepted seven passes, giving him 17 in his six years in the NFL. He has earned a spot in the Pro Bowl the last five seasons. The USC product, and 16th pick in the 2003 draft, is well known for his long hair that sticks out the back of his helmet.

Polamalu will be on hand May 14-15 to help Nike introduce its latest training collection, the Trainer 1, at a global media summit. As part of the launch event, Nike and NFL All-Pro players Adrian Peterson, Larry Fitzgerald and Troy Polamalu, along with NBA All-Stars Brandon Roy and Amar'e Stoudemire, Olympic medalist Bryan Clay and leading athletic trainer Matt James are expected to lead close to 100 local southern California athletes in a comprehensive training workout.

Send your questions and join Polamalu at 4 p.m. ET on Thursday!

Buzzmaster: Troy should be here in minutes!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
casey smith loveland ohio: were you worried about harrison after he fell down returning the interception, I sure was

Troy Polamalu: I wasn't worried about him. I actually ran to the lockerroom early to get an IV. It was a lot hotter than what we anticipated for that game, coming from Pittsburgh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Butch (San Antonio Texas): What are your thoughts on the Hines Ward Rule and is this simply a way for the NFL to handicap our team? No other reciever plays like he does. Could he play Defense?

Troy Polamalu: I don't think at all that they're specifically attacking our team. I do understand the motivation that they're trying to protect players. I just hope that the essence of our game is not lost in the process. That's part of our game. People get hits and receive hits. Had a player like Hines Ward not been like he's been, would this rule exist? Probably not. That's disappointing that they have a rule like that just for him. But he blocks people Our system in Pittsburgh has always been for people to block. That's why Hines has been great for us. He can do everything, catch, run block.

Ted (New Jersey): Troy, what kind of workouts do you do with NIKE in the offseason?

Troy Polamalu: Specifically, with Nike, I don't work out and train with them in Portland. I do wear Nike shoes and Nike equipment.

John NY: Hey Troy Im a huge fan.. Since your going to be on the cover of Madden 10 are you worried about the curse?

Troy Polamalu: I don't believe, honestly, in curses. Whatever God wills in my life and this season, it will be done. If there happens to be an injury that I face or have a bad season, that's not attributed to a game, it's attributed to my skill or lack of preparation.

Shayne - NY [via mobile]: Troy... When did you start growing out your hair? Congrats on winning the Super Bowl and good luck next season. Thanks!

Troy Polamalu: I grew out my hair earlier in college. I cut it all off then I grew it out again my junior year in college.

Ed (PA): Troy, As a huge fan of the team first let me say thanks for your hand in bringing the Burgh 2 SB championships and for being such a wonderful example of how to play the game with class. Can you tell us what it means to you to be a Steeler and what it is like to play for Coach LeBeau?

Troy Polamalu: It means a lot because we do follow in a tradition in Pittsburgh. It's amazing that I'm a teammate with someone who was a teammate who was a teammate who was a teammate of Joe Green. We have a blue collar approach. We have a very humble approach. Just like the city. Coach LeBeau is the epitome of what our approach is about. It's a great honor to play under his coaching.

paul (massachusetts): do you think last years hit on Tom Brady was dirty?

Troy Polamalu: No, it didn't look dirty to me. It's a part of the sport. It's very unfortunate that it happens. I've never been a player that just goes out to injure someone in that way.

Hook (Southern Maryland): In the offseason, how long do you just relax until it is time to start to prepare for next season?

Troy Polamalu: It differs from year to year. As age creeps in, you need more rest. It also depends how far you go into the playoffs. If you go deep into the playoffs, that's 6 extra weeks of football and if you go to the Pro Bowl, that's 7. It's almost an extra half a season.

Doug (NJ): Has your team lost any of its edge or killer instinct since winning the Super Bowl this past year?

Troy Polamalu: I don't think so. Our approach has always been the same. It's cliche, but we take it week by week. Part by part. We do our offseason training, our minicamps, our fall camps. We're very specific and utilizing each part of the whole year and making each part of the team better. Not just looking at the Super Bowl at the end of the year.

fran (alabama): What kind of work do you do with Nike in the offseason?

Troy Polamalu: I do a lot of advertising for them. I test out equipment for them, some shoes, some gloves. Give my input on designs. Obviously, not with any power, but just as another opinion from an athlete point of view.

Anthony (NYC): Troy you've accomplished quite a bit in what could very well be a Hall of Fame career. At this point what are you the most proud of?

Troy Polamalu: I don't know. It's hard to see the forrest when you're in the middle of it. I'm in my 7th year so it's hard to reminisce about what's been accomplished and what hasn't. I really haven't had time to reflect on any achievements or my career in general.

Ric (Memphis, TN): Do you consider yourself a Pittsburgh guy now, or are you a California guy in Pittsburgh?

Troy Polamalu: I would say I'm a Pittsburgh guy, yeah. I live in Pittsburgh. I scrape snow off just like everyone else. I've had a Primanti sandwich. I'm a part of PIttsburgh. I get mad when the Pirates don't win, when the Pens don't win.

Troy Polamalu: Thank you for all your support. Not just for me personally, but for the Steelers. Hopefully we can have another great run next year.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=26472
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
jev7452
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11286
Default Re: ESPN : Chat with Troy Polamalu

i just love his interviews. he is the most humble, modest, down to earth, genuine guy.. a real class act! also makes me smile when he says he considers himself a Pittsburgh guy
Old 05-14-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Thanks 4 sharing. Awesome read.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,385 Times in 3,541 Posts
Default Re: Chat with Troy Polamalu

cool interview from the humble troy.

i dont know for sure but can anyone verify the lineage in bold?

im thinking hines was a teammate of dermonti dawson, who was a teammate of webster, who was a teammate of greene.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:31 AM   #5
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
cool interview from the humble troy.

i dont know for sure but can anyone verify the lineage in bold?

im thinking hines was a teammate of dermonti dawson, who was a teammate of webster, who was a teammate of greene.

Their was a saftey that played in the early 90's that was on the 1980 super bowl team. Woodruff or something like that. That could make the connection too.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:06 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,415 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Way to go Troy classy guy.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

Whenever I see Troy interview, and also play the game, it makes me so proud that I bought and wear his jersey.
I honeslty feel he is the closest thing to a "role model" there is in professional sports !
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
Cheppy
Banned

Member Number: 11928

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianSteel View Post
I honeslty feel he is the closest thing to a "role model" there is in professional sports !
I concur.. And you don't see any garbage like this from the Tasmanian Devil:

(so lame)
Cheppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

It's funny how Polamalu and Jack Lambert are from the same team, albeit different eras. Both class guys, but one was meaner than the other. However, both were supremely effective at their positions.
AllD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #10
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

thanks for posting! always great to read or hear a interview with troy!

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote