Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #21
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,751 Times in 2,658 Posts
Default Re: Porter challenges the colts... UGH !

With regard to those that contend Porter's latest rant is just "Joey being Joey" and a necessary method of Porter getting ready for game time, the following story is in the P-G Black & Gold Insider today:

"Joey Porter went and did it. Russ Grimm told the wrong guy to keep his mouth shut. He told Hines Ward. But then, Bill Cowher told all of his players not to incite the enemy and it only took Porter his first day back before he took some gasoline and a match to the Colts. He did everything but call them wussies. He obviously does not subscribe to the theory of letting a sleeping horse lie. Maybe there's a reason behind it. Maybe he believes he can knock them off their game if he challenges them to get down and dirty with the Steelers. But I don't think so. I love him for doing it because it makes for a great story (LB Porter challenges Colts), but I don't think it's going to go over very big when that Post-Gazette hits Cowher's desk this morning."

When you look at that P-G story and the quotes coming from everyone else on the team this week, it is clear Cowher told everyone to tone down the talking. Only Porter did not do it.

My take is that Porter sounding off has nothing to do with "playing with emotion" and everything to do with Porter wanting to get his quotes in the paper and face on TV during pre-game (as evidenced by the tiresome pre-game woofing that got him tossed from the Browns game last year and which CBS showed before last Sunday's game).

This is nothing beyond Porter being infatuated with being the center of attention; just because you are a Pro Bowl level talent (see, e.g., Chad Johnson) does not excuse conduct that the coaches have requested be shut down.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:14 PM   #22
SteelCityPride
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1079

I agree that if he was asked not to stir anything up then he should have listened, however, I will not say that I am against him talking the way he did. When you play football there is a level of respect that players keep and if they feel like they are being disrespected they are going to do what they have to do to even out the line. Every player has different characteristics and different ways of handling themselves, the type of player Joey is, what would anyone else expect and once again I am going to stick with emotions. It may not come down to "playing with emotion" but just the entire bank of emotions he puts towards the game, towards his team. So, I am not arguing that Joey was right in going out and running off at the chops when he was specifically told not to, but I will say that other that that I have no other problem with it.
SteelCityPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #23
MichiSteeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 959

I'm a big fan of Joey and all. And i agree with him. All they do is audible... Stack the box.. audible to pass... Spread em out... audible to run.. They really dont play physical football. I agree with him, but by the slim chance we loose, thats just more gun powder for the blasts we'll be receiving

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me."- Jack Lambert

Go Buckeyes and Spartans!
MichiSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #24
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

i dont care what you guys think, i love how joey porter talks his mind. you can tell he wants revenge this week...
Old 01-12-2006, 03:29 PM   #25
Eztarget
Starter

Member Number: 162

What idiotic statements by Porter.

Yeah, those pesky Colts are trying to "trick" them Steelers into losing. How dare they use their speed to win by throwing the ball. (Like the Steelers trick play last week was "smash mouth" football).

Why not just lineup all 53 guys per team and have a tug of war? That way the "tougher" team can win.

Hey Porter THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK!
Eztarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:32 PM   #26
SteelCityPride
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1079

EZ Target,

So do you think the Colts could beat the steelers in a 53 man tog of war? I sure don't... Bettis is Anchor baby.

Hypothetically speaking, what will everyone say if the Steelers beat the Colts?
- Oh they rested too much
- Coach Dungy wasn't in the right mindset
- Maybe, they looked ahead a little too soon

I wanna be prepared for the excuse....
SteelCityPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:37 PM   #27
figg
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
Joey is one of my favorite players on the Steelers.. He's awesome and an emotional leader for us..but damn, we dont need to be giving them any bulletin board material..even if it was mean to fire us up instead..
He doesnt know when to shut up
Old 01-12-2006, 03:40 PM   #28
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Well I wasnt looking forward to smack from us. They have enough motivation, with Dungy`s tragedy and all
Old 01-12-2006, 04:33 PM   #29
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngreene15
He can back up his talk.... I love it when he's talkin' trash before the game.

Joey would be an All-World player if he played half as good as he talks. For all of the yapping he does there have been some games where you didn't even realize he was on the field.

Just shut up and play the damn game....Joey.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:42 PM   #30
VegasStlrFan
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 976

How tough is it to just shut up and play? The Colts haven't been really focused since the Chargers game a month ago, and now they have bulletin board material to focus their intensity. I wish they would keep these guys away from the microphones.
VegasStlrFan is offline   Reply With Quote