Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 05-18-2009, 03:28 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,307 Times in 1,406 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Back to work for rookies

It’s back to work today for the Steelers rookies, who are permitted to return for the first time since they attended mini-camp in early May.

While OTA’s don’t start until Tuesday, the rookies will get a jump start on workouts and after a mini-camp that had some of their heads spinning with information flying at them, that isn’t a bad thing.

Running back Frank “The Tank” Summers, who was drafted in the fifth round out of UNLV is one of those players who had a lot to take in during the three-day mini-camp, but knows that things will come easier as time goes on.

“It’s crazy, but it’s a fun crazy,” said Summers. “I am taking a deep breath and trying to swallow everything possible. Hopefully everything stays down. I am going to just keep trying and give my all. I know sooner or later I will get the hang of everything and I will be fine.”

Summers tapped into the experience of fellow running backs Willie Parker, Mewelde Moore, Carey Davis and Rashard Mendenhall already, asking questions and getting as much advice from them as possible.

“They made it easy for me to come for help,” said Summers. “In practice during minicamp they already came to me and quizzed me up and down the sidelines, what is this and what is that and what is my assignment. I really appreciate their help. They have helped me so much.”

Summers, who at 5-10, 230 pounds has definitely earned the nickname The Tank that his mother gave him as an infant, hopes to use his size and strength to make a contribution to the black and gold this season.

“Whatever the coach asks me to do I am more than willing to do 100%,” said Summers. “I am looking to contribute on special teams first. I look to make plays on special teams first and give it my all.”

Another area where he could make an impact is on short yardage, where the team struggled when they got near the goal line last year.

“I think it’s the will and determination,” said Summers of what makes a good short-yardage back. “Also it’s a good offensive line. You can’t do anything without an offensive line. If the offensive line misses one guy and he hits you in the backfield, is it on you. That’s a combination of the running back and offensive lineman working together and doing a good job.”

Whatever he is called upon to do, Summers is looking forward to it and is glad to be back working again and getting a chance to really learn things.

“I am looking forward to everything,” said Summers. “I am very blessed and happy to have the opportunity to be here. I have to get that playbook down first. Once I get the playbook down the sky is the limit.”

http://news.steelers.com/article/105470/
Old 05-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717
Default Re: Back to work for rookies

great article!
Old 05-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
skepticsightsten
Water Boy

Member Number: 11035

I'm pretty excited about this guy. Do the Steelers know how to build a team or what?
skepticsightsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

I am excited about him as well especially since he was drafted from my alma mater, UNLV. Yes, the LV in my handle stands for Las Vegas. There have only been two or three good players out of UNLV over the years. Randall Cunningham, Ickie Woods and now Frank the Tank. I know there are a couple more but their names are escaping me at the moment.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
86WARD
Starter

Member Number: 8340

I knew they would draft Summers. I called it in my mock. However, I think they grabbed him a couple rounds too eraly. I saw him go undrafted in more mocks than not...
Old 05-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
86WARD
Starter

Member Number: 8340

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
I am excited about him as well especially since he was drafted from my alma mater, UNLV. Yes, the LV in my handle stands for Las Vegas. There have only been two or three good players out of UNLV over the years. Randall Cunningham, Ickie Woods and now Frank the Tank. I know there are a couple more but their names are escaping me at the moment.
Kenny Mayne?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

You're going to hear this all of offseason. My FAVORITE PICK. Dont let me down baby, dont let me down. I'll be patient with him, and i think he most definetely shows something in two years at the most
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:22 AM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,307 Times in 1,406 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
I knew they would draft Summers. I called it in my mock. However, I think they grabbed him a couple rounds too eraly. I saw him go undrafted in more mocks than not...
I have to disagree if we did not get him in the 5th he was not going to be there when we picked in the 6th just my opinion.