Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 05-18-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Reports On Sweed Are Good

Reports On Sweed Are Good
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/05/18/r...weed-are-good/
Posted May 18, 2009 9:56PM By JJ Cooper (RSS feed)

If there's one 2008 Steeler draftee who is being counted on more than any other, it's Limas Sweed.

Even a year after he was drafted, first-round pick Rashard Mendenhall will be the No. 2 tailback, but even if he fails at the job, Mewelde Moore and Tank Summers are available to step in. Third-round pick Bruce Davis and fourth-round pick Tony Hills will need extremely impressive training camps just to make the gameday roster, fifth-round pick Dennis Dixon is likely the No. 3 quarterback while sixth-round pick Ryan Mundy is battling for a roster spot.

But Sweed is the No. 3 receiver heading into training camp and the Steelers need him to replace Nate Washington. We saw last year that he can get open. We saw that he can throw a block (when motivated), but we also saw that he sometimes has a problem with hanging on to the ball.

And according to ESPN's John Clayton, he's starting to catch the ball.

Reports from the minicamp are very encouraging about Sweed. It's still too early to determine if he's ready to make a big jump, but he will be closely monitored in training camp to see if he can be a real factor in Year 2. He's got a chance.

Any expectations for Sweed to step in and dominate as a rookie were unrealistic, something that was obvious before the 2008 season began. But it's not too much to ask a second-year receiver to be ready to contribute significantly. Shaun McDonald gives the Steelers someone who could fill in if Hines Ward goes down with an injury, and Mike Wallace could eventually prove to be a deep threat, but the Steelers passing game will need a lot of Sweed this year. Hopefully he's ready to step up.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:38 PM   #2
Mizark70
Water Boy

Member Number: 13336
Default Re: Reports On Sweed Are Good

I hope to see him do well this year. We need him to do well.
Mizark70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,907 Times in 956 Posts

This is the funny thing. All the haters talking about his drops and that he is a bust will fade into the woodwork if Sweed is productive in his 2nd season. Very similar to how they did in Lawrence Timmons 2nd year.

When are fans gonna learn that the game isnt that easy and young guys need time to make the transition?

Its why I really dont expect anything from Frank Summers, Keenan Lewis, Mike Wallace this year.......but am hopeful for Urbik, because Stapleton is just so below average at best.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
This is the funny thing. All the haters talking about his drops and that he is a bust will fade into the woodwork if Sweed is productive in his 2nd season. Very similar to how they did in Lawrence Timmons 2nd year.

When are fans gonna learn that the game isnt that easy and young guys need time to make the transition?

Its why I really dont expect anything from Frank Summers, Keenan Lewis, Mike Wallace this year.......but am hopeful for Urbik, because Stapleton is just so below average at best.
don't worry...i've got a list of the bashers... ....i'll be stompin em like c0ckroaches as they try to board the sweeeeeed wagon...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:45 AM   #5
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

I agree... but I still have high hopes for Summers, RB's have been known to catch on quickly.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:32 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,207 Times in 1,361 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
don't worry...i've got a list of the bashers... ....i'll be stompin em like c0ckroaches as they try to board the sweeeeeed wagon...
Just kick them off the wagon one by one.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:54 AM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,536 Posts

lets see.....galaxy....galaxy.... ....ok, your clear to board...but i got my eye on you...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:31 AM   #8
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

If our O-line can get it together this year the Steelers will be epic.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:35 AM   #9
Kindjunior
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8343

I think Sweed will be fine, the transition to the NFL for WR's is one of the hardest to make IMO.
Kindjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:41 AM   #10
Detective
Water Boy

Member Number: 13574

I think it's a tough transition for any position in the NFL.. everybody has their problems in their first year. Holmes had fumbling issues as a rookie.. catching is just something Sweed needs to work on. Once he settles down, I think he's gonna be a great player.. hopefully in a few years when Ward hangs it up, he'll be starting material.