Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 05-19-2009, 04:45 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,942 Times in 1,655 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Parker hard at work

The weight room at the Steelers practice facility was unusually quiet, with just a few coaches and a trainer getting a late afternoon workout in.

But after a second glance, a familiar face was working up a sweat, pounding away on the weights after everyone else had called it a day.

Running back Willie Parker, who had surprised some when he missed the first two days of OTA’s, has been a regular at the practice facility since the team’s mini-camp despite the fact that players didn’t need to be there until OTA’s resumed today.

“I just wanted to start getting back in shape and get going to get ready for next season,” said Parker of why he put in the extra time.

Parker spent part of his days on the field, working on the football aspect of things and catching passes from running backs coach Kirby Wilson.

“I really focused on catching a lot of balls and being comfortable in the passing game so I can help Ben (Roethlisberger) out on the check downs, checking it to the backs,” said Parker. “Right now I am focusing on the football stuff, catching balls, running, getting in shape.”

And if getting in shape means staying around long after the locker room has cleared out, Parker has no problem with that.

“I put in a full day’s work. I look at it as a 9-5 job,” said Parker. “I come over and spend a whole day here. I try to get benefits in the weight room or playing football. I am running, conditioning and things like that.”

The main motivation for Parker’s extra time is to make sure he enters the 2009 season in great shape and healthy. The last thing he wants is a repeat of the 2008 season when he missed five games because of injuries.

“I have to get that back,” said Parker. “I haven’t been healthy in my point of view in two years. I need to get healthy and get through the season healthy. Injuries nagged me and kept from accomplishing my goals. If I can stay healthy I can accomplish anything.

“Injuries are real frustrating. I am pretty sure anyone would say the same thing. Injuries are real frustrating.”

http://news.steelers.com/article/105471/
Old 05-19-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,148 Times in 863 Posts
Default Re: Parker hard at work

With Fast Willie sparing time with Mendy, look fora fresh Willie P to have some nice, long, touchdown runs this season. He's my comeback player of the year.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
Detective
Water Boy

Member Number: 13574

It looks like Parker's main focus is to have the best season possible going into a contract year. Not that there's anything wrong with that since he's been a complete professional when it comes to his situation. If Mendenhall performs well this year, it'll make you wonder about Parker's future with the team, but hopefully he can stay healthy and have a solid career regardless of where that may be.. but hopefully it's with the black & gold.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,558 Times in 1,689 Posts

I love his work ethic and you can build an amazing team with guys like that. Great job Willie.

I still think the "business" of the NFL next year will mean he isnt resigned. But wouldn't mind if I was wrong.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

I like the fact that he is working on catching the ball. It would be great for him to become a more complete rb and make it easier to resign him as I hope they do Willie is a great Steeler!!!!!!!
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
steeldawg
Starter

Member Number: 13605

i agree catching is something he needs to work on so he can catch the ball out in space and use that speed
steeldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #7
steeldawg
Starter

Member Number: 13605

i do like our backfield though with mendy willie and melwede
steeldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Oh man... The thought of a triple threat running attack.... *drools*...

I hope Willie gets completely healthy and stays healthy. I believe that he has and will continue to give us his best effort.

I remember the first time I saw him break a long one for six. The only thing I could say was... "Daaaayaaam! He's fast!"
PisnNapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post

I hope Willie gets completely healthy and stays healthy. I believe that he has and will continue to give us his best effort.

I remember the first time I saw him break a long one for six. The only thing I could say was... "Daaaayaaam! He's fast!"
Old 05-19-2009, 11:08 PM   #10
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post

for get pony backfield WISHBONE!

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote