Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #61
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323
Default Re: James Harrison's Dog attacks Harrison's Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Since we're adding personal experiences...

All my dogs have been working dogs, for the most part. I had beagles growin' up for rabbit hunting.

I used to do a lot of duck hunting too - so my labs were the breed of choice.

Bucky and his kid.

When I lived and breathed pheasant hunting - the killer Brittany was the top dog.

My boy Buddy was 95% wolf/sheppard. He was the gentlest and smartest of the bunch, - he slept on the couch.

That Brit looks exactly like my dog back in Iowa. His papered name was Brigadier, I called him Brigs. Great bird dog.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #62
Cmdurand21
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13540

Here is an update on the child a la Mike Florio.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...harrisons-son/

Quote:
The outlook for James Harrison III, the two-year-old son of Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison, is positive two days after he was attacked by his father’s pit bull, according to the Associated Press.

Bill Parise, the agent who represents Harrison, said that the toddler is “doing well,” as he recovers from a bite on his leg at a Pittsburgh children’s hospital.

Also about the breed discussion, I feel it reflects more on the owner than the breed about how a dog acts. And, if you are going to have a male dog around children (especially of the Pitbull breed) they need to be neutered. It's their natural instinct for them to establish their dominance over smaller animals or children in the house.
Cmdurand21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #63
JEFF4i
Banned

Member Number: 10645

Honestly, yeah there are a lot of mean pits, but I've also meant some incredible pit bulls.

Some breeds are disposed to being more aggressive, but it doesn't matter as much as the dog and the treatment thereof.
JEFF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #64
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
That Brit looks exactly like my dog back in Iowa. His papered name was Brigadier, I called him Brigs. Great bird dog.
Excellent bird dogs. I trained him from a pup on bird wings on fishing lines.

He would freeze on point with his nose stuffed up a pheasants ass. Till I released him with a voice command to flush for the shot.

Friends would come around to borrow him for the day, he loved it. I'd just tell them to watch his tail - when it stared buzzing like a bee, get ready for the takeoff.

Never failed.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #65
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,670 Posts

Quote:
My dogs weren't much for guard dogs though- if somebody pulled up in the driveway and got out of their car and left the door open they would rush out and jump inside thinking they were going for a ride to go hunting. Yes - I've seen it happen.

The jingling of car keys would send them into spasms. ' Can I go? Huh can I can I go? Can I"
Bloodthirsty beasts.
I go through that on a daily basis with my two choc. labs. My big lab(135 lbs) is a good watch dog, if he don't know you, you ain't gettin in. Unless of course you throw a ball or jingle some keys, then he'll buddy right up to ya. The little(75 lbs) lab he just might lick you do death.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #66
JEFF4i
Banned

Member Number: 10645

I can't take my English Bulldog for walks near the car. Why?

She walks up to the car door, sits down, and waits to go for a drive. She doesn't even care where we go, even if its the vet, she likes going for drives.
JEFF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #67
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

I want a German rott......ahhhh but I live in an apartment.. I like pets so a cat would be an obvious choice, but my wife is deathly afraid of cats...especially kittens....... I have no idea...
Old 05-23-2009, 10:37 PM   #68
beSteelmyheart
Team Captain

Member Number: 1249

Quote:
The "pit bull craze" didn't start till gansta wannabees made it cool to own them, for "street cred".

So, if you own a pit bull for "status", you might have a tiny penis.
It must be true, because I never could understand the explosion of popularity & demand for these dogs when there are so many better breeds to choose from.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #69
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

Quote:
Originally Posted by beSteelmyheart View Post
It must be true, because I never could understand the explosion of popularity & demand for these dogs when there are so many better breeds to choose from.
Thats because pits can be the most loyal and loving dogs out there....yes I knoe many people get the for the fear factor....

But..... before I came to China I gave my father my pit, one night several people tried to break in while he and my step mom where sleeping, the dog is what scared them away.....they can be a very good dog as long as the owners use good judgement in their upbringing, and keep them leashed or fencenced in.. (not to say I think all pits attack people, but most I've seen do not care for other dogs hense keeping them fenced in) the responsibility falls on the owner not the dog.

I tell you Ive been bit 2 times by dogs and when I worked for the phone company I came into contact with many different breeds of dogs at other peoples homes.... the 2 dogs that bit me were little whipper snappers.....
Old 05-23-2009, 11:52 PM   #70
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,180 Times in 2,659 Posts

i always heard chow-chows and c0cker spaniels were 2 dogs who could be tempermental around children.

always heard labs were great with kids and their only drawback is they are the ultimate rooters and scoundrels, who love diggin through trash.

i had a chow/husky mix who absolutely loved all people (he hated people in cowboy hats who drove pick up trucks though- wouldnt attack the person, but always tried to attack the moving truck).

while he loved people he loved to fight other dogs. i seen him fight almost all breeds, but never a rot or pit bull. he would die in a dogfight before he would back down.

my current dog "shanna" hates all people. she has tried to attack old ladies walking down the street and my daughers little friends and all people in-between.

she will growl and try to bite me if i mess with her while she is eating or if she gets out and i try to push her back in the gate.

she "man-humps" our other 2 min pins (who are her "husband" and her son.

i guess even cute little dogies like these can be violent beasts.

i constantly gotta remind my daughter not to mess with her.

i kinda feel bad for harrisons animal getting the needle. i have a parrot that has not only bitten my baby for sticking her finger in its cage, but has also attacked babys momma for cursing at him and calling him a "bastard".

there are just certain things you dont do.

sounds to me like harrisons dog was more of a status symbol as opposed to a family pet.

i would love to have a komodo dragon, but instead have beaded dragons who are more docile than a hamster, and my girl can play with anytime she wants.