Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 05-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #11
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,367 Times in 4,304 Posts
Default Re: Techie... Overclocking.

for those who didnt know, Preacherdude is balls to the wall.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #12
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Oh, and, um, excuse me, but if you are running a 351 Cleveland with a 4 barrel carb with 350 ponies under the hood, the heads and pistons already hardended and ready... If all it took was some time and NO MONEY, DONT TELL ME you wouldn't sneak a spacer plate between the carb and manifold... and hook up a little Nitro to the puppy.
I would tell you that...but I don't want to be struck by lightning.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #13
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

A couple questions on building your own computer:

1) Are there any For Dummies-type guides out there that tell you everything you need to know to do it yourself? I know you have to take a lot of things into account like electricity, enough fans to keep it cool, making sure all the hardware is compatible, etc.

2) Is it really any cheaper than buying one? You can get a lower-end computer for a few hundred bucks. It doesn't seem like you can get the individual parts and the necessary tools for that amount of money.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:33 PM   #14
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post

1) Are there any For Dummies-type guides out there that tell you everything you need to know to do it yourself? I know you have to take a lot of things into account like electricity, enough fans to keep it cool, making sure all the hardware is compatible, etc.

2) Is it really any cheaper than buying one? You can get a lower-end computer for a few hundred bucks. It doesn't seem like you can get the individual parts and the necessary tools for that amount of money.
1 - Honestly, I don't know because I never looked. Computer are very simple though. The hardest part is finding out what's compatible with the system you want to use...and dealing with the OS (if you really aren't Tech Savvy.)

2 - That depends on how lowgrade you want it. But generally speaking, it is cheaper to build your own. Not only do you get to choose your own parts, but you don't have to deal with a lot of unnecessary software that comes from the ready to builds.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:04 PM   #15
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
OK.

Like an idiot, I couldn't leave my new computer alone, so now I am overclocking it.

I got it up to 3.78 at 165 MHz However, I am trying to break the 4. barrier.

Dang dang dang... I have adjusted the Vcore, the CPU-VTT, but nothing stable over 3.78 yet.

What are you all running at?
Heh ... how did I know this was going to happen? One minute it's "I need help figuring out how to put this thing together" and the next time I turn around, it's overclocking and going for speed records. In another month, we'll see you entering contests like this and building your own liquid nitrogen cooling system.

I think I saw something in one of those competitions where a guy had overclocked a Q9550 to 5.7 GHz. Now that I don't think I could do.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:25 PM   #16
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:

1. There most certainly are: http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-You...214558&sr=1-11

2. It all depends on what you intend to use your computer for. But yes, it is cheaper to build it yourself, even if you just want a low-end system to browse the Internet or listen to music. You just have to know where to look to buy parts - Newegg.com is a good place to start. If you're looking for parts at rock-bottom prices, pricewatch.com is another good place to look.

Hope this helps, and good luck if you decide to build a PC. Oh, and don't forget your anti-static wrist strap!

On the topic of overclocking...once I get everything I need in my PC and upgrade to a Phenom X4, I plan to overclock it. AMD chips have a reputation of being easily overclockable, which is why a lot of people use them. I just use them because Intel chips are too damn expensive, but I may as well see what the thing really can do.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:53 PM   #17
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
Heh ... how did I know this was going to happen? One minute it's "I need help figuring out how to put this thing together" and the next time I turn around, it's overclocking and going for speed records. In another month, we'll see you entering contests like this and building your own liquid nitrogen cooling system.

I think I saw something in one of those competitions where a guy had overclocked a Q9550 to 5.7 GHz. Now that I don't think I could do.

(actually, I HAVE thought about how to build a cooling system for the board... )
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:58 PM   #18
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:

Trust me, if I can build one... ANYONE can build one.

Actually, building a basic system should be even more easy than what I did...

Like X-Term said... it is all in checking out if the parts work together. Sadly, now I have no idea why I never did this from the beginning...

and I am figuring the church needs a system built for powerpoint, another system built for the office, I would LOVE to have a server, as I networked the church a couple years ago (just compt to comp) through a router.

Seriously, it is that easy.

Overclocking.... Well.......
Old 05-25-2009, 12:58 AM   #19
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

It's a slippery slope, man. You're going to be on heroin by the end of the week.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:04 AM   #20
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
It's a slippery slope, man. You're going to be on heroin by the end of the week.
I'm Prime95 testing a setting of 3.86 right now. Figured out my big problem, Hyperthreading was on. I shut that off and it has helped quite a bit. It seems you can't hyperthread past 165 MHz.

If this works, I am going to put the multiplyer back up to 21(from 19), I have also learned ( I think ) that this chip doesn't like even multipliers... don't know why but. . .

Moved it down from an even to an odd, and it is running Prime like a breeze right now... Warm, I am reading in the low-md 70's, but I probably have the cpu voltage cranked further than necessary.

Yeah, it is addicting. A tweak here, a push there....

Just like owning an old Mustang.