Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #31
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Why are there soo many people joining the Military?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
silence is golden i guess.

but thanks for the clarification of what you thought revs point was.

the rhetoric and propoganda plus those who support (regardless if its even in the ball park) it has gotten way beyond the point of absurd.
You took a non-left/right issue and drove it into republican/dem. politics... and then sit around and bemoan why people aren't responding and claim victory?

Nice.

BTW.... Here is the answer to the question. 74.75% of all war dead in iraq are white.

9.49 % are black.

a 2.5% variance is well within acceptable margins in statistics.

Guess your original post was quite off the mark in this area.

And go look at the site this comes from http://usiraq.procon.org/viewresourc...ourceID=000671

It is the furthest thing from biased from the left or right.

Or do you understand that there ARE people that hold opinions about things, which are NOT based in politics? Because lately (last 9 months or so), it seems like any comment on ANYTHING not football related, you seem to immediately link it some right-wing viewpoint.

And yes, this is my last post concerning the politics of this thread... but the original question me curios. . .
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #32
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

I'm just jammin right now to Creedence....it aint me..it aint me...I'm no military son........
Old 05-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #33
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,912 Times in 2,994 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
You took a non-left/right issue and drove it into republican/dem. politics... and then sit around and bemoan why people aren't responding and claim victory?

Nice.

BTW.... Here is the answer to the question. 74.75% of all war dead in iraq are white.

9.49 % are black.

a 2.5% variance is well within acceptable margins in statistics.

Guess your original post was quite off the mark in this area.

. .

that just goes to show whites are more likely to be shot and killed in combat.

nothing to do with the supposed disproportionate enlistment rates revs speaks of.

then again, whatever happens in ohio must be true for the rest of us all.

theres no disputing that since the expert lives there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
It seems like we have a disproportionately white military.

FALSE.

admit it preacher. while an "honerable" cause, defending this false claim serves you no good.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:43 PM   #34
steelwall
Head Coach

[QUOTE=tony hipchest;609589]

[QUOTE]

Thats a bit insensitive bro being that it was just memorial day for christ sakes.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #35
tony hipchest

i dont see color when it comes to our fallen soldiers.

going off of revs post, i woulsd say that was rather insensitive for the day an occasion.

so tell us, as one who has actually served, and lived on military establishments...

did it SEEM to you that we have a disproportionately white military?

perhaps you can shed light on the TRUTH.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #36
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:

nothing to do with the supposed disproportionate enlistment rates revs speaks of.

then again, whatever happens in ohio must be true for the rest of us all.

theres no disputing that since the expert lives there.

FALSE.

admit it preacher. while an "honerable" cause, defending this false claim serves you no good.

Tony,

this is why I just don't do this with you anymore... because you either 1... can't follow or 2. twist and spin what is said.

However, just for old times sake when you treated people around here with respect, let me try once again.

Rev had two (2) parts to his question. 1. The deaths which are disproportionally white in Iraq. 2. The military itself, which is said to be disproportionally black.

I CHOSE number 1. The deaths are disproportionally white, and Revs had picked up on that disproportion. I then went on to EXPLAIN why I felt that way. Here, let me quote that again for you.

Quote:
I would think it is because many of those people who are over there are 2 and 3 time volunteers, most people like that either 1, want this to be a career or 2, are going into it for an adventure. I don't think people who simply enter the military for a four year stint and the college money are two and three time volunteers.

By that I mean, you volunteer to be in the military, then you volunteer for a job that you KNOW will place you on or close to the front lines, then many of them volunteer AGAIN for jobs like spec. ops, force recon, etc., which puts them at the sharpest point of the spear.

It is mainly those who had options, and CHOSE the military that end up there IMO.
Ok.. see? I am arguing point one, and continue to do so when I discuss with you.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
i dont know if 70 local ohio kids out of the 4000+ KIA is a large enough sample size. maybe the local recruiters whos responsibility is the inner cities there just suck when it comes to convincing the poor blacks that the military provides a better option.

i do know the AFB i work on in southwestern NM is probably 30% black. oddly enough, theres a very low percentage of mexicans even though they make up a large portion of our local demographic. as far as the enlisted female airmen, i would say its 50-50 black/white.

i have lived on 3 af bases in CA, AZ, and NM and the black population there, far outweighs the general percentage in the surrounding "native" communities.

True, but I think his point was not people stationed in Ohio but rather, those who were BORN and RAISED there who went off to be in the military.

And you stats speak to my previous post. Those without many choices that choose the military as a way to escape an enviroment usually don't choose placements that put them on the front line. I wonder how many re-enlist and how many get out after 4 or 8 years for college. Either way, it is a good choice. It just goes to answering Suit's question a bit more.
And that has been my point all along.

How you drive this to left-right politics is being me, and very tiring. Just because you have taken to view the entire universe through "protect Obama/the left" glasses doesn't mean the rest of the world actually takes the opposing view.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #37
tony hipchest

this thread has nothing to do with obama or bush, so i dont know what you are getting at.

the op asks why so many people are enlisting (which may be true in his parts but i doubt is true overall- research and numbers say as much).

then revs goes off on some bogus diatribe how the military is disproportionately white based on 70 locals from ohio who have unfortunately lost their lives.

am i not allowed to point out the fallacies of this bogus claim.

ive been pretty consistant with the posts i address... "come correct, or dont come at all".

again, you (and a couple of others are dodging the question in regards to this).

do you feel that 70 out of 4000+ is a fair sample size in which revs uses to back his claim?

i know the real answer and i know its the answer his cheerleaders will not honestly admit.

its par for the course. i get it.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:43 PM   #38
steelwall
Head Coach

I would say in general observations many times of groups of soldiers from the(army,navy,airforce,marines) it is disporportionate. White by far make up the most soldiers, but honestly I think it is pretty much in line )close at least) with national racial statistics.

I'm saying that as my own view and am qoiting no statistical data.

And I don't think preacher intended to use the list like you did, least he didnt use a laughing smiley when talking about fallen soldiers..
Old 05-26-2009, 12:06 AM   #39
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelwall View Post
I would say in general observations many times of groups of soldiers from the(army,navy,airforce,marines) it is disporportionate. White by far make up the most soldiers, but honestly I think it is pretty much in line )close at least) with national racial statistics.
I'm saying that as my own view and am qoiting no statistical data.

And I don't think preacher intended to use the list like you did, least he didnt use a laughing smiley when talking about fallen soldiers..
then by definition it is not disproportionate, right?

and sorry if that offended you (that was not my intention), but the laughing smiley was clearly directed at preachers gross misuse at statistics as opposed to the actual fallen soldiers that you feel it was.

but i dont mind being spun to be the bad guy. im used to it.

what is amazing here is despite the truth, facts and figures, everybody seems afraid to stand up and tell revs he is wrong when he is obviously and blatantly wrong.

yet while blindly defending him, nobody has the balls to say that 70 out of 4000+ is an accurate sample to draw such a )incorrect) conclusion from.

i hope people here ask themselves who is really the sheep and who is the Pied Piper.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:18 AM   #40
steelwall
Head Coach

Quote:
then by definition it is not disproportionate, right?.
Right, I never argued that point.

Quote:
and sorry if that offended you (that was not my intention), but the laughing smiley was clearly directed at preachers gross misuse at statistics as opposed to the actual fallen soldiers that you feel it was.
Apology accepted.... I don't think you think that way but this is an emotional time for alot of us.

Quote:
but i dont mind being spun to be the bad guy. im used to it.
Didnt say you was a bad guy just said your comment was pretty much in poor tste giben the circumstances, and I have that right.

Quote:
what is amazing here is despite the truth, facts and figures, everybody seems afraid to stand up and tell revs he is wrong when he is obviously and blatantly wrong.
Come on you cant say the rev is wrong on everything, (and I know you didnt not trying to spin just make a point) he has a right to post information, just as we all do. Sometimes I agree with what the rev says, sometimes I dont, sometimes I agree with what you say, and you know that.

This is not a war Toney noone has to defend the rev, if they agree with what he says, doesnt neccessarily mean they are defending.