Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-27-2009, 03:58 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,293 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Mundy impresses Steelers with smarts, skills

Twenty-nine has significance for Steelers safety Ryan Mundy beyond the fact that it is his uniform number.

It explains why coach Mike Tomlin, among others, call the Woodland Hills High graduate "Wonderlic."

When Mundy took the Wonderlic while visiting the Steelers prior to the 2008 NFL Draft, he tackled 29 of the 50 questions on the aptitude test during an allotted 12-minute time period. What earned Mundy his moniker from Tomlin? He didn't miss any of the questions he answered.

"I've never heard of that," Steelers defensive backs coach Ray Horton said.

If Mundy does as well on his the tests that lie ahead specifically the ones he will face in training camp he could find himself playing a significant role for his hometown team.

The Steelers, who are not deep at safety, could afford to get younger on the back end of their defense, especially after not spending a draft pick there in April.

All of that translates into an opportunity for Mundy that is as golden as the color of the jerseys he and the other Steelers defensive players have been wearing during offseason practice.

Not that Mundy, the Trib's WPIAL Class AAAA Player of the Year in 2002, will win a roster spot or a job over the next couple of weeks. Tomlin, after all, dismissively refers to this time of the year as "football in shorts."

But one thing that won't hurt Mundy is the favorable impression he has been making during the practices that resumed Tuesday at the team's South Side facility.

"I was just walking off the field thinking basically every day he's done something good," Horton said last week.

Mundy has been getting plenty of work while running with the first-team defense.

And with starters Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark not taking part in the offseason practices the former is training in California; the latter is still recovering from shoulder surgery Mundy has been playing both strong and free safety.

"It's a great experience for me," said Mundy, whom the Steelers drafted in the sixth round out of West Virginia in 2008.

The Steelers let Anthony Smith, once considered the team's future at free safety, leave in March as a restricted free agent. Tyrone Carter, the primary backup at both safety spots, is 33 and going into the final year of his contract.

If his young legs make Mundy, 24, an appealing prospect at safety, his lack of experience doesn't appear to concern the Steelers.

"Nothing fazes the kid," Horton said. "I don't think, 'Oh, he hasn't played a lot of plays' or 'Oh, he doesn't know what he's doing.' It's like he's a veteran, and we're treating him like that.

"We plan to give him a heck of a lot of work during the preseason and see what we have. We're counting on him."

Mundy got little playing time during his first preseason. The 6-foot-1, 215-pounder logged fewer than 10 plays before sustaining a high ankle sprain in the Steelers' 2008 preseason opener against the Eagles.

The Steelers took the calculated risk of releasing Mundy, figuring teams hadn't seen enough of him to sign him while he was recovering from the injury. They later re-signed Mundy, and he said the time he spent practicing with the Steelers has prepared him to make a significant jump in his second season.

"I just feel like I've got to stay healthy," Mundy said. "I know I'm going to be in shape. I know the playbook. So if I stay healthy, I feel like everything will take care of itself."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_626881.html
Old 05-27-2009, 04:39 AM   #2
PeckerWood
Team President

Member Number: 13275
Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,040 Posts
My Mood: Goofy
Lightbulb Re: Mundy impresses Steelers with smarts, skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
Twenty-nine has significance for Steelers safety Ryan Mundy beyond the fact that it is his uniform number.

It explains why coach Mike Tomlin, among others, call the Woodland Hills High graduate "Wonderlic."

When Mundy took the Wonderlic while visiting the Steelers prior to the 2008 NFL Draft, he tackled 29 of the 50 questions on the aptitude test during an allotted 12-minute time period. What earned Mundy his moniker from Tomlin? He didn't miss any of the questions he answered.

"I've never heard of that," Steelers defensive backs coach Ray Horton said.

If Mundy does as well on his the tests that lie ahead specifically the ones he will face in training camp he could find himself playing a significant role for his hometown team.

The Steelers, who are not deep at safety, could afford to get younger on the back end of their defense, especially after not spending a draft pick there in April.

All of that translates into an opportunity for Mundy that is as golden as the color of the jerseys he and the other Steelers defensive players have been wearing during offseason practice.

Not that Mundy, the Trib's WPIAL Class AAAA Player of the Year in 2002, will win a roster spot or a job over the next couple of weeks. Tomlin, after all, dismissively refers to this time of the year as "football in shorts."

But one thing that won't hurt Mundy is the favorable impression he has been making during the practices that resumed Tuesday at the team's South Side facility.

"I was just walking off the field thinking basically every day he's done something good," Horton said last week.

Mundy has been getting plenty of work while running with the first-team defense.

And with starters Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark not taking part in the offseason practices the former is training in California; the latter is still recovering from shoulder surgery Mundy has been playing both strong and free safety.

"It's a great experience for me," said Mundy, whom the Steelers drafted in the sixth round out of West Virginia in 2008.

The Steelers let Anthony Smith, once considered the team's future at free safety, leave in March as a restricted free agent. Tyrone Carter, the primary backup at both safety spots, is 33 and going into the final year of his contract.

If his young legs make Mundy, 24, an appealing prospect at safety, his lack of experience doesn't appear to concern the Steelers.

"Nothing fazes the kid," Horton said. "I don't think, 'Oh, he hasn't played a lot of plays' or 'Oh, he doesn't know what he's doing.' It's like he's a veteran, and we're treating him like that.

"We plan to give him a heck of a lot of work during the preseason and see what we have. We're counting on him."

Mundy got little playing time during his first preseason. The 6-foot-1, 215-pounder logged fewer than 10 plays before sustaining a high ankle sprain in the Steelers' 2008 preseason opener against the Eagles.

The Steelers took the calculated risk of releasing Mundy, figuring teams hadn't seen enough of him to sign him while he was recovering from the injury. They later re-signed Mundy, and he said the time he spent practicing with the Steelers has prepared him to make a significant jump in his second season.

"I just feel like I've got to stay healthy," Mundy said. "I know I'm going to be in shape. I know the playbook. So if I stay healthy, I feel like everything will take care of itself."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_626881.html

Would like to see Mundy really come on this year, it would be great for the Steelers defense to have two guys on the field at the same time who can play SS or FS. Just think what LeBeau could do with interchangable Safeties.
PeckerWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:07 AM   #3
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911
Default Re: Mundy impresses Steelers with smarts, skills

This kid will quickly become a fan favorite. I have him as one of the young guys to make an impact this season.

We're starting to put together a very heady defensive backfield. Troy, Clark, DeShea and Mundy will make for an extremely football savvy safety tandem.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Come on Mundy! Would love to see him succeed.....
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Imagine that, the Steelers drafting a smart football player.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

I really am beginning to think that Mundy must have been impressing enough last year to make the FO believe they could forego a safety in the draft this year.

He is definately one of the players we should be keeping ours eyes on this preseason. Hills, Sweed, Mendenhall, and Mundy are all at pivitol points in their career, and the progression of these four could be critical to us staying on top.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:07 AM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
I really am beginning to think that Mundy must have been impressing enough last year to make the FO believe they could forego a safety in the draft this year.

He is definately one of the players we should be keeping ours eyes on this preseason. Hills, Sweed, Mendenhall, and Mundy are all at pivitol points in their career, and the progression of these four could be critical to us staying on top.
I agree that Sweed, Mendenhall will contribute this season. Mundy will fight to be active on gameday and play special teams. Hills would have to show that he is more capable than Trai Essex to dress on gameday and I dont think that happens this year unless there is an injury.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I agree that Sweed, Mendenhall will contribute this season. Mundy will fight to be active on gameday and play special teams. Hills would have to show that he is more capable than Trai Essex to dress on gameday and I dont think that happens this year unless there is an injury.
Mundy is still at a pivitol point in his career though....This year should be the year that he will need to show that he can contribute and be the replacement for Clark in the future.

Same with Hills...He needs to show THIS year that he is a player and can take over soon for some of the linemen who might demand high money in the near future.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

if mundy impresses enough, he could become the #1 backup safety for us...

it does seem tho, that either way, this is possibly the last yr for carter to be here

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
if mundy impresses enough, he could become the #1 backup safety for us...

it does seem tho, that either way, this is possibly the last yr for carter to be here
I agree, unless he decides to stay at vet minimum or at least at a price the FO considers a value.