Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-30-2009, 10:33 PM   #121
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 10606
Default Re: Pens VS Red wings part deux

I know I am going to get slammed for this, but I don't really see where we outplayed them. We couldn't complete passes, our D got burned time and time again, and Fleury wasn't at his best. I call it as I see it, and we didn't show up tonight.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:41 PM   #122
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold View Post
I know I am going to get slammed for this, but I don't really see where we outplayed them. We couldn't complete passes, our D got burned time and time again, and Fleury wasn't at his best. I call it as I see it, and we didn't show up tonight.
I didn't exactly see the Wings making tape-to-tape passes all night either. They turned the puck over quite a bit in the neutral zone and flubbed a bunch of passes of their own. Plus, Babc0ck said in his post-game interview that the ice wasn't very good. I think that would have an impact on a team's ability to make good passes consistently.

And for as much as you think the D got "burned," exactly HOW many odd-man breaks did the Wings have tonight? Not that many.

I don't think the Pens outplayed them in the truest sense, but they damn sure played well enough to win the game. The only stat where the Pens got really beaten badly was in the faceoff circle. Other than that, it was a pretty even game. In fact, they both outshot and outchanced the Wings tonight. They absolutely DID show up.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:51 PM   #123
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

I'm reluctant to bring this up, and I love Kid Crosby - but did you all catch that tap he gave Maltby with the stick? I really wish I wouldn't have seen that. I'm really upset over it. Sid is one of my favorite athletes in the world, but that was completely uncalled for and even cowardly. It was totally reminiscent of Sean Avery. I’m really bothered by that. For all our talk about how mature he is, Crosby definitely has a tendency to be immature when things aren't going his way. I HATE pointing this out, but I had to say something about it. No matter how frustrated you are that is just a disgusting act. I'm very disappointed in Sid for that. Say what you will about how the Wings win tonight, it definitely was fluky, but at least they won with a fair amount of class. Again, I'm just really disappointed in what I saw there. I know there was no intent to hurt the guy, but come on. Childish.

Apart from that rant, I'm confident we can get this series back under control. The Pens definitely played well tonight.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:55 PM   #124
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
I'm reluctant to bring this up, and I love Kid Crosby - but did you all catch that tap he gave Maltby with the stick? I really wish I wouldn't have seen that. I'm really upset over it. Sid is one of my favorite athletes in the world, but that was completely uncalled for and even cowardly. It was totally reminiscent of Sean Avery. Iím really bothered by that. For all our talk about how mature he is, Crosby definitely has a tendency to be immature when things aren't going his way. I HATE pointing this out, but I had to say something about it. No matter how frustrated you are that is just a disgusting act. I'm very disappointed in Sid for that. Say what you will about how the Wings win tonight, it definitely was fluky, but at least they did so with a fair amount of class. Again, I'm just really disappointed in what I saw there.

Apart from that rant, I'm confident we can get this series back under control. The Pens definitely played well tonight.
Maybe you ought to get the WHOLE story before you go off - Kirk Maltby, agitator extraordinaire, was running his mouth the entire game and continued to do so when the game was over. So Crosby gave him a little tap on his skates basically to tell him to STFU. Yeah, maybe he shouldn't have done it, but the reason for doing it? I have no problem with. All Maltby ever does is yap, and when it comes time to pay the piper, he bitches out. Screw him. He's lucky Crosby didn't slash him in the mouth.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #125
ShutDown24
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Maybe you ought to get the WHOLE story before you go off - Kirk Maltby, agitator extraordinaire, was running his mouth the entire game and continued to do so when the game was over. So Crosby gave him a little tap on his skates basically to tell him to STFU. Yeah, maybe he shouldn't have done it, but the reason for doing it? I have no problem with. All Maltby ever does is yap, and when it comes time to pay the piper, he bitches out. Screw him. He's lucky Crosby didn't slash him in the mouth.
I wouldn't have cared if Sid had punched him in the face; I know Maltby is an agitator. But that little tap really came across as cowardly to me. If Crosby was going to do something I wish he would have done it to the dudes face, not tap him and pretend he didn't. THAT is what annoys me. I rarely say anything negative about my sports teams; I always try to be a positive fan. But really? If you don't think there was anything wrong with what Sid did there then you have the blinders on a little too tightly in my opinion. (Not saying that to you specifically X-Terminator, just in general)
Old 05-30-2009, 11:04 PM   #126
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
I wouldn't have cared if Sid had punched him in the face; I know Maltby is an agitator. But that little tap really came across as cowardly to me. If Crosby was going to do something I wish he would have done it to the dudes face, not tap him and pretend he didn't. THAT is what annoys me. I rarely say anything negative about my sports teams; I always try to be a positive fan. But really? If you don't think there was anything wrong with what Sid did there then you have the blinders on a little too tightly in my opinion. (Not saying that to you specifically X-Terminator, just in general)
He didn't pretend he did it. He admitted to doing it and why during his post-game press conference. Maltby, of course, had a different take and acted like he did nothing wrong. And had Crosby punched Maltby in the face, everyone and their mother, not to mention the millions of jealous Crosby haters would have been all over him and called him a coward. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:11 PM   #127
ShutDown24
Team President

Quote:
He didn't pretend he did it. He admitted to doing it and why during his post-game press conference. Maltby, of course, had a different take and acted like he did nothing wrong. And had Crosby punched Maltby in the face, everyone and their mother, not to mention the millions of jealous Crosby haters would have been all over him and called him a coward.
I'm not referring to the post game press conference, I'm referring to on ice. In hindsight I'm sure he did admit to it - it was very obvious.

Quote:
He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
Well, if he doesn't do anything he's not damned at all. Let your play do the talking, Sid. If you don't agree with that then there is nothing I can do. But no matter how agitated someone makes you, the best option is just not to let them get under your skin. I don't see how that can be refuted

We're all human though, it happens. Of course Crosby has my support. Let's get them tomorrow!
Old 05-30-2009, 11:23 PM   #128
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
I'm not referring to the post game press conference, I'm referring to on ice. In hindsight I'm sure he did admit to it - it was very obvious.

Well, if he doesn't do anything he's not damned at all. Let your play do the talking, Sid. If you don't agree with that then there is nothing I can do. But no matter how agitated someone makes you, the best option is just not to let them get under your skin. I don't see how that can be refuted

We're all human though, it happens. Of course Crosby has my support. Let's get them tomorrow!
I agree that he shouldn't have done anything. But, I'm also not going to get on him for not resisting the temptation to do something. It's the heat of the moment, the intensity that is the Stanley Cup Final, and he wanted to send a message. Shit happens.

On to Game 2.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:14 AM   #129
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 10606

Quote:
I didn't exactly see the Wings making tape-to-tape passes all night either. They turned the puck over quite a bit in the neutral zone and flubbed a bunch of passes of their own. Plus, Babc0ck said in his post-game interview that the ice wasn't very good. I think that would have an impact on a team's ability to make good passes consistently.

Maybe the wings didn't make perfect passes either, but it was obvious while I was watching that our puck control wasn't very good until late in the game. Passes to no one, couldn't hold it in their zone, couldn't clear our zone. We had like two turnovers in our zone that lead to their first fluky goal?

And for as much as you think the D got "burned," exactly HOW many odd-man breaks did the Wings have tonight? Not that many.

No, but the wings did always seem to gain a half step or so on our D and get behind our guys time after time. It looked like our D was just going though the motions and "gliding" around rather than getting after the puck and playing like they want it. Even the commentators brought up the fact that the weak link was definitely the Pens defense.

I don't think the Pens outplayed them in the truest sense, but they damn sure played well enough to win the game. The only stat where the Pens got really beaten badly was in the faceoff circle. Other than that, it was a pretty even game. In fact, they both outshot and outchanced the Wings tonight. They absolutely DID show up.
We may have outchanced and outshot them, but we were only really threatening in the first period. We couldn't hold the puck in their zone to get any kind of pressure going, even with an extra skater (PP and at the end). They would get breakaways when we were on the powerplay. Mostly we dumped the puck in, maybe got one pass off, it got intercepted, we chased them to our zone, finally got the puck back..rinse..repeat.
Good thing is, we have youth on our side. With game two only like 15 hours away, we also don't have long to think about this loss. Here is to a better game tomorrow! (today actually)
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:17 AM   #130
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold View Post
Good thing is, we have youth on our side. With game two only like 15 hours away, we also don't have long to think about this loss. Here is to a better game tomorrow! (today actually)
The boyz are young and have to be a little pissed about last nights game. You think the hits were hard last night, expect to same tonight. After they pull even tonight, we will be just fine.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote