Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #31
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628
Default Re: Pens VS Red wings part deux

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Serg just turned 35 and Billy G is 38. Both of these guys skate extremely well, have great puck control and play as hard as most of the 20-somethings in the NHL. I'm hoping the Pens can find a way to re-sign Guerin next season but it won't be for the big bucks he makes now. Serg will be in the final year of his contract next season and rumor has it that the Pens are already working a deal to keep him a couple of more years.
I agree...they are both very productive players still.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #32
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
I don't think Hal Gill can get any slower - so that's a plus for us.
I agree there...ain't no cure for leadfeet!
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #33
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

I fear for our defense clearing our own zone.

The way they beat us is by controlling the puck and playing keep-away from our big guns and making them play D.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #34
trauben
Bench Warmer

Location: City of reigning Super Bowl and Stanley Cup Champions!!!
Member Number: 7929

But we've been pretty good and pretty consistent during these playoffs with the take away. I fear nothing!

trauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #35
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

I believe we can win. Naturally, Fleury will have to be better than good, which is not a stretch the way he has been playing. He will probably have to steal a game as well. Again, not out of the realm of probability.

Hal Gill has played well in the post season, imo. Sure he is not fleet footed (or is that fleet skated ). Still, I thought he was partucularly good in the Caps' series. He makes up for some of his lack of speed with his reach. And how many players in the league have no weaknesses to their games? Maybe what matters most with Gil is pairing him with the right D partner. We shall see how it works against Detroit the second go-round.

I know this is getting ahead of the Stanley Cup train, but, truth be told, I think Gil might be the number one FA concern for the Pens in the off season (he is a FA?). I'd be tempted to say it was Guerin, but at 38 -39 they Pens have to temper any multi-year contract offers with the worry about a quick decline in his game. Plus it might be easier to find another winger for Sid (they have two years in a row) than a veteran top line defensive player.

That's not to say I wouldn't want Guerin back. If he is willing to stick around on a 1 or 2 year contract, that would be awesome.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #36
Fire Haley
Banned

Get...the...puck...deep against them, whenever possible. Play them in their own end. That's the ticket.

Pens have been the quicker team against our opponenets so far, that's been key. We'll find out early if they can run on the Wings.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #37
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Well, even after thinking better of it, I went over to the Hockeytown forum to see what their thoughts were, and mostly after all the lame name calling, their biggest argument seems to be that "the West is better/stronger/more superior than the East. (Isn't this the NBA argument?) Like we had a cake walk through the playoffs, with Bettman's assistance of course...and they had much better opponents. Last time I checked, the top 10 teams by points were split exactly 50/50. So, Whatever.

As far as the D comments, I think our D has played well most of the time, and the PK has been very good imo. Actually, I think our forwards have done a great job on the backcheck forcing turnovers on the other 2/3rds of the ice. We will need a continued effort, but I feel we are in better shape than last year.

"Snow Chickens" almost as good as Chicken Wings.

http://hockeytownforum.detroitredwin...showtopic=2809

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #38
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

The NBC affiliate in Tampa decided that they were going to ignore Game 1 and show their All Children's Hospital Telethon. So for the last several hours we've been without hope to watch the game unless it included a friend with DirectTV or the NHL Center Ice package, or going to the Sports Bar

But earlier today, I have learned that the local sports station has picked up the viewing of the game!

SO IT'S GAME ON!!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #39
Fire Haley
Banned

All the other teams fans are so jealous of Sid - it's like nerd chicks sniping about the popular girls in high school.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:02 PM   #40
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
I don't think Hal Gill can get any slower - so that's a plus for us.
WTH is it with you people and the Gill-bashing lately? The guy sure as hell wasn't hired for his speed or offensive prowess. He's done his job since coming to the Burgh and has played extremely well throughout these playoffs. There's a legitimate reason why he and Scuds were given the assignment of defending against the Flyers, Caps and Canes top lines and doing so successfully. He's a +6 in 17 playoff games and what he lacks in speed, he makes up for with that huge wing span, riding forwards off the puck and throwing that 6'8" body at anyone in his path. I have absolutely no problem with the guy. Lighten up!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote