Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-27-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default The BMOC of UCLA has been MIA in Pittsburgh.

Steelers' LB Davis seeking his seat on bus
Thursday, May 28, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09148/973341-66.stm

The BMOC of UCLA has been MIA in Pittsburgh.

Linebacker Bruce Davis went from what he called a "rock star" in college football to almost rock bottom with the Steelers.

"I'd be lying if I said it's not a blow to the ego," said Davis, who ranked second in UCLA history with 29 career sacks, 24 1/2 of them in his final two seasons. "You go from being the rock star as they called it back at school, you go from being the guy, the guy who is depended on making big plays when they needed them, to really the bottom of the totem pole."

The "bottom" usually meant not pulling on a uniform for games last season. Davis, the Steelers' third-round draft choice in 2008, suited up for five games as a rookie. He had no stats, no tackles.

"It was definitely tough, mentally," said Davis. "Mentally, I tried to stay focused, but it definitely took it's toll on me. I kind of got down on myself, but I had to come to the realization that I'm playing for the Steelers, the NFL, and I have great players in front of me."

It was not so much players such as starting outside linebackers James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, though. It was fellow rookies such as Patrick Bailey, an undrafted outside linebacker.

Bailey made the team based on his superior special teams play and became the club's rookie of the year after climbing up from the practice squad.

Now Bailey is among the competition behind Harrison and Woodley to become the top backup at outside linebacker this season. Others include veterans Arnold Harrison and Andre Frazier.

Lawrence Timmons had that No. 1 backup role outside last season as well as his job as the nickel linebacker and No. 1 backup inside, but Timmons has been promoted to starting inside linebacker at Larry Foote's old spot.

Coach Mike Tomlin stuck to the facts on what Davis must do to earn his keep.

"Quite simply, he has to play better than some of the guys he's competing with. At the end of the day that's the measuring stick, that's what training camp in Latrobe is about and that's what makes it exciting. I don't make it a secret, I'm a proponent of competition. It's going to be fun to watch some of the competition unfold at the outside linebacker position as guys try to find a seat on the bus, if you will."

Davis' relative inactive rookie season is not an unusual one for those trying to make the transition from college end to 3-4 outside linebacker with the Steelers. Among those who successfully made the switch were Woodley, Joey Porter, Clark Haggans, Jason Gildon and Mike Vrabel, none a first-year starter. Of course, there were others who did not, such as Steven Conley, a third-round pick in 1996. Davis prefers to follow the path blazed by the larger group.

"I look at it as motivation," Davis said. "I have big shoes to fill, not just the outside linebackers and guys making that transition but the linebacker history period, the Steelers history period."

Woodley made that transition as quickly as anyone. He had six sacks, including two in the playoffs, in a part-time role as a rookie in 2007. He became a starter last season and recorded 17 1/2 sacks, including six in three postseason games. He has taken Davis under his wing and knows the difficult adjustment that has to be made switching positions.

"It's real tough because you're used to rushing every play and not really looking at formations as far as where the receivers are," he said of playing end. "You just basically look at the running back and get the read on the offensive linemen.

"As an outside linebacker, you have to know what everyone's doing around you, not just yourself. You have to know everything."

A disappointment for the Steelers was Davis' inability to win a job on special teams last season while he was learning his new position. Most of the others in transition were great special teams players before they became starters.

Whether Davis can step out of Steven Conley territory and into the other group could be determined this summer.

"We're not evaluating, we're just teaching at this point," Tomlin said. "What he is doing is he's putting himself in position to compete. He's been one of the poster boys for the offseason program, if you will. We say the first rule of getting better is showing up. He's done a nice job of that and he's working."

NOTES -- Cornerback Deshea Townsend and the Pay It Forward Foundation will conduct a free health care clinic from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. June 6 at the Green Tree Sports Complex. Open to all ages, the clinic will provide free screenings for various medical conditions and health and nutrition information. ... Also in Green Tree that day, Hines Ward's second Pittsburgh Celebrity Softball Game will be played at 1 p.m. at Duquesne Field. The event is free but donations will be taken to benefit the families of the fallen Pittsburgh police officers. At least 11 Steelers will participate with local media celebrities.

Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com.
First published on May 28, 2009 at 12:00 am
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Re: Steelers' LB Davis seeking his seat on bus Read more: http://www.post-gazette.co

Quote:
Davis' relative inactive rookie season is not an unusual one for those trying to make the transition from college end to 3-4 outside linebacker with the Steelers.

Among those who successfully made the switch were Woodley, Joey Porter, Clark Haggans, Jason Gildon and Mike Vrabel, none a first-year starter. Of course, there were others who did not, such as Steven Conley, a third-round pick in 1996. Davis prefers to follow the path blazed by the larger group.
If Davis keeps a positive attitude and works his ass off I think he has the potential to be very good.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,078 Posts
Default Re: Steelers' LB Davis seeking his seat on bus Read more: http://www.post-gazette.co

I am so hoping he was just confused with the transition and had "paralysis by analysis". In the final preseason game he showed less effort than Casey Hampton at a salad bar.

I would love to see Davis establish himself as the #3 OLB and be a force on special teams. THAT is all about effort.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

Rest easy Brucey, your time will come.
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

As a side note, it looks like we have about 50 outside linebackers competing for two spots now. How many backup inside LBs do we have? One? Zero?
Old 05-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Welcome to the World of being a Steelers Linebacker. You're not the first, and won't be the last.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: The BMOC of UCLA has been MIA in Pittsburgh.

Linebacker U is not an easy task to break into. But persistence is the key. If Davis doesn't produce, he will be practice squad material or cut. Let's hope we have another diamond in the rough waiting his turn because Harrison will have to be replaced eventually. Woodley will be around awhile.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
As a side note, it looks like we have about 50 outside linebackers competing for two spots now. How many backup inside LBs do we have? One? Zero?
I think they moved Donovan Woods to ILB along with Keyaron Fox. That leaves Davis, Arnold Harrison, Patrick Bailey and Andre Frazier outside. I like Arnold Harrison and think he finds a spot on the 53 man roster.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911
Default Re: The BMOC of UCLA has been MIA in Pittsburgh.

He's got some decent competition at the spot with A.Harrison's and Fraziers experience. Add to that Frazier and Bailey were great on ST's.

THE main lesson here is that nothing will be handed to you Bruce, let's hope he passes the lesson.

I gotta agree with gonzo, the kid looked bad when he was on the field and to not get on ST's was a bad start.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote