Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-31-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default Steelers players who won't be HOFers, but were every bit as good as current HOFers

Perhaps one day, these guys will make it, but it doesn't look good right now for them.

1. Levon Kirkland - IMO, the 2nd best MLB the Steelers have ever had behind Lambert. Was the best MLB in football for about 5 years. He was a freak of nature...cound run down any RB, Cover out of the backfield, hit like a ton of bricks. One of my favorite Steelers of all time. Probably didn't do it for long enough, but was awesome when he did. It's a shame he couldn't control his weight.

2. Donnie Shell - Isn't in the HOF, but should be. One of the best 3 safeties the Steelers ever had. His tackle of Earl Campbell..knocking Earl out of the game with broken ribs...is legendary. He was great at covering and run support...and did it for a very long time.

3. LC Greenwood - Another member of the 70's defense that is getting squeezed by the voters. Every bit as good as any DE that played in his era and did it for a long period of time. Great pass rusher and great against the run in...arguably, the most famous D'line that ever played the game.

4. Carnell Lake - Could cover, run support, hit, blitz as good as any safety I have ever seen play. Allowed the Steelers flexibility on defense with all he could do. Did his part to save the Steelers season in 1995 by switching positions and played it at Pro Bowl level. Did it again in 1997 and played just as well. Should be a HOF'r.

5. Dermonti Dawson - Best Center in Football for many years. How he hasn't gotten in by now, is beyond me. I know Center is not a sexy position, but this is ridiculous. I hold out hope for Dermonti, but it may be awhile before this happens.

There are probably others, but these are the one's I immediately thought of.

Last edited by BlastFurnace; 06-01-2009 at 09:32 AM.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
ben2hines=6
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2277
Default Re: Steelers players who won't be HOF'rs, but were every good as current HOF'rs

dawson will def. get in eventually
ben2hines=6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
triphahn
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13282
Default Re: Steelers players who won't be HOF'rs, but were every good as current HOF'rs

Look at my avatar to see who I put at top. All great players. Kirkland was incredible.
triphahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:00 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,160 Times in 1,342 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I have to agree I think Dawson will definetly get in. He was one heck of a player for the steelers.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:22 AM   #5
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
I have to agree I think Dawson will definetly get in. He was one heck of a player for the steelers.
I probably should have left Dermonti off this list. I think he will get in, but it sure takes a while for players at his position to get the recognition they deserve.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:34 AM   #6
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
I probably should have left Dermonti off this list. I think he will get in, but it sure takes a while for players at his position to get the recognition they deserve.
I disagree. He should have been at the top of your list. The current group of Hall of Farce voters are a bunch of douce bags...and I have no faith that they'll put him in.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by triphahn View Post
Look at my avatar to see who I put at top. All great players. Kirkland was incredible.
He wasn't great, he was a freak of nature!!!! Somebody that big should never be able to do the things he did.... Love Levon
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Steelers players who won't be HOFers, but were every bit as good as current HOFer

Quote:
Dermonti Dawson - Best Center in Football for many years. How he hasn't gotten in by now, is beyond me.
Simple: zero rings. Thanks again, Neil. A secondary factor, and most likely the main reason L.C. still isn't in there is due to "Steelers saturation," and that many HoF voters seem to feel that you can't have "too many" players from one team in there (see also: Jerry Kramer/Lombardi Packers). But the biggest strike against Dirt is still having no rings.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,506 Times in 1,522 Posts
Default Re: Steelers players who won't be HOFers, but were every bit as good as current HOFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Simple: zero rings. Thanks again, Neil. A secondary factor, and most likely the main reason L.C. still isn't in there is due to "Steelers saturation," and that many HoF voters seem to feel that you can't have "too many" players from one team in there (see also: Jerry Kramer/Lombardi Packers). But the biggest strike against Dirt is still having no rings.
dwight stevenson ......former dolphin center, only played 8 years and went to 5 probowls....it took him a few years, but he got in. bruce mathews i believe was a first ballot guy.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #10
triphahn
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13282

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I have heard from others that the voters are looking at the Steelers having too many players in the HOF.
triphahn is offline   Reply With Quote