Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 06-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Spending Our Money Wisely? Nope!

http://www.ohio.com/editorial/commentary/46693147.html

Democrats, ever looking to spend your money By George F. Will
Washington Post

Published on Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009
WASHINGTON: Epiphanies are a dime a dozen among congressional Democrats as they discover urgent new reasons to experience the almost erotic pleasure of commandeering other people's money. For example, freshman Rep. Alan Grayson, a Florida Democrat whose district includes Disney World, was recently there and was inspired.

The world, he realized, would be a sweeter place if Congress mandated that all companies with 100 or more employees provide a week of paid vacation to those who work at least 25 hours a week. After three years, they would be entitled to two weeks, and companies with more than 50 employees would have to start providing a paid vacation week. Grayson would not mandate that paid vacations be spent at Disney World.

With the welfare state approaching insolvency and businesses sagging, this is an odd time to augment Americans' entitlement mentality. But the travel and tourism industries think Grayson's idea is neat.

Members of the Congressional Black Caucus want the Treasury Department to subsidize minority owners of broadcasting properties. The broadcasters are not ''too big to fail'' and so do not pose a ''systemic risk,'' but, the representatives say, failures of minority broadcasters would diminish diversity.

Such government micromanagement of the economy is everywhere. The Washington Post recently reported that Richard Wagoner, the former CEO of General Motors who was removed by the government, remains on GM's payroll ''because senior Treasury officials have yet to decide whether he should get the $20 million severance package that the company had promised him.'' His 2009 compensation $1 is payable on Dec. 31. The $20 million promised to him includes contractual awards, deferred compensation and pension benefits accrued over 32 years with the company. Promise-keeping, including honoring contracts, is the default position of a lawful society. But suddenly, many citizens' legal claims are merely starting points for negotiations with an overbearing government.

State governments, too, are expected to accept Washington's whims, but plucky Indiana is being obdurate. Gov. Mitch Daniels, alarmed by what he calls the Obama administration's ''shock-and-awe statism,'' is supporting state Treasurer Richard Mourdock's objection to the administration's treatment of Chrysler's creditors, which include the pension funds for Indiana's retired teachers and state policemen, and a state construction fund. Together they own $42.5 million of Chrysler's $6.9 billion (supposedly) secured debt.

Compliant, because dependent, banks bowed to the administration's demand that they accept less than settled bankruptcy law would have given them as secured creditors. Next, the president denounced as ''speculators'' remaining secured creditors, who then folded and accepted less on the dollar than an unsecured creditor the United Auto Workers union is getting. This raw taking of property from secured investors penalized those ''speculators'' retired Indiana teachers and state police officers whom Mourdock says are being ''ripped off by the federal government.''

He is asking a court to declare that the Obama administration's actions have violated ''more than 100 years of established law by redefining 'secured creditors' to mean something less,'' and that the actions violate the Fifth Amendment protection against the seizure of private property. Furthermore, he says the government is guilty of ''misuse'' of the Troubled Assets Relief Program, which gives the Treasury authority only to aid financial institutions, not industrial companies.

One New Deal improvisation not yet emulated by the Obama administration is the September 1933 slaughter while the unemployment rate was 25 percent and millions were hungry of 6 million young pigs. The purpose was to raise the price of pork by reducing the supply of it. But the ''cash for clunkers'' idea is a cousin of that.

The Wall Street Journal's Joseph B. White reports that proposals percolating in Congress would further subsidize Detroit and chill the planet, of course by bribing people to turn in old cars and trucks (dealers have 400,000 unsold large pickups) and buy vehicles that get better gas mileage. In one plan, if the new truck gets one mile per gallon more than the old truck, the buyer would get $3,500; a two mpg improvement would be worth $4,500.

Such a policy would counteract the president's environmentally harmful policy of forcing Detroit to quickly produce cars that are much more fuel efficient meaning light, cramped and dangerous. Such products will be powerful incentives for Americans to continue driving their old, more polluting and less fuel-efficient cars. This will deprive Detroit of some customers, but surely the government has thought this through.

Will is a Washington Post columnist. He can be e-mailed at georgewill@washpost.com.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741
Default Re: Spending Our Money Wisely? Nope!

OK Tony, bring on the panic spin/deflection statement.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
OK Tony, bring on the panic spin/deflection statement.
are you just flame baiting or simply calling me out?

it musta been a slow news week for will (hes kinda all over the place in this one). hearing him bitch about employee vacations is akin to hearing a cancer patient or a person in a serious auto accident on life support whine about a hang nail.

i like working govt. contracts. in 2 years i will have EARNED my 4th week of yearly vacation. couple that with the 10 federal hoidays, and about 5-7 "down days" and i will quite enjoy my nearly 2 months out of the year, off with pay.

a happy worker is a good worker, but it doesnt mean it is easy, being that i do all the work w/o a secretary, assistant, and 3-4 supervisors my job calls for. i also dont bitch about any OT i put in or having to do payroll tomorrow (sunday) morning (while STILL on "vacation").

youre retired military, right (correct me if i am wrong)? i would be quite the asshole if i went revs route and suggested that the govt was wasting its money by providing you and your family with some sort of medical coverage, wouldnt i?

agree or not, the govt. likes to take care of its people/workforce, although i am disappointed about the stories of our soldiers families relying on welfare the past 8 years.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:29 AM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,174 Times in 1,934 Posts

Now I'm thinking who and how many I can layoff to make up for the loss's.

Whats next, forced health care?

Hell, it'd be cheaper to go work for some place, rather than have a small business. Or I could just sit on my ass and let you all pay me for my hard work of holding the couch down.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
There needs to be incentive to work, not the other way around.
you mean like paid vacations and holidays? it almost sounds like you are anti-incentive.

are you suggesting my job didnt exist under the bush admin?

Quote:
All of a sudden you're poltical stance, pro-obama, pro-bigger government, pro- government jobs, and pro- take from them and gimme gimme gimme makes so much sense.
the govt has been streamlining, outsourcing, and using contractors for years. it creates jobs and grows business. and you know what? i save the govt money. after 20 years they will not foot the bill for my retirement or medical coverage for the rest of my life.

btw- as a bonafide executive and indirect labor, the govt doesnt pay for my vacation. my company does it on their own good will.

only direct labor is granted the paid vacations, holidays, and health and welfare via federal law (wage determination scale for federal contracts- which is much like "minimum wage" in the private sector).

you see, my job will take a blind person, spend a few extra bucks to accommodate their disability, and get them off the couch, and social security, and turn them into a productive member of society as a telephone operator (or something similar).

none of this would be possible w/o an act of congress many, many years ago.

"bu..bu...but... obama."

http://www.defenselink.mil/News/news....aspx?id=51424

Quote:
WASHINGTON, Oct. 7, 2008 – The Defense Department is a strong supporter of the federally managed AbilityOne program, which works with private and public groups to provide goods and services to the government and jobs for the blind and other people who have severe disabilities, including wounded veterans.
“As the largest customer of this program, the Department of Defense has a responsibility and a tremendous opportunity to increase support by procuring more goods and services provided by the AbilityOne program,” John J. Young Jr., undersecretary of defense for acquisition, technology and logistics, stated in a March 24 memorandum.

AbilityOne, formerly known as the Javits-Wagner-O’Day Act, or JWOD, is administered by the Committee for Purchase From People Who Are Blind or Severely Disabled, an independent federal agency.

More than 1,300 wounded military veterans are part of the program’s 43,000-strong work force, according to a DoD news release. The Defense Department is the program’s largest customer, the release said, as it purchases more than $1.3 billion in goods and services each year, including laundry services, uniforms, office supplies and grounds maintenance.

Work contracts arranged through the AbilityOne program provide most of the chemical-protection coats and pants used by U.S. servicemembers. Skilcraft-brand office supplies found across the federal government also are part of the AbilityOne program.

President Bush, in a White House document dated Feb. 11, stated that the AbilityOne program “has taken steps to embrace successful business practices, including e-commerce and performance-based contracting.” The program, he said, provides work for tens of thousands of disabled Americans employed at more than 600 community-based nonprofit organizations.

Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England will host a Pentagon ceremony tomorrow to honor the AbilityOne program.

The AbilityOne program can trace its roots to the passage of the Wagner-O’Day Act of 1938, sponsored by Sen. Robert F. Wagner and U.S. Rep. Caroline O’Day. This legislation mandated that the federal government purchase brooms, mops and other items provided by nonprofit agencies employing people who are blind.

The Wagner-O’Day Act was expanded in 1971 through the efforts of Sen. Jacob Javits. The resultant legislation, known as the Wagner-O’Day-Javits Act, permits nonprofit agencies serving people with other severe disabilities in addition to blindness to participate in the JWOD program and authorized nonprofit agencies to provide not only supplies, but also services to the federal government.

The executive-branch Committee for Purchase From People Who Are Blind or Severely Disabled, the National Industries for the Blind, and NISH, formerly known as National Industries for the Severely Handicapped, form a triad of support for JWOD, whose name was changed to AbilityOne by the U.S. Congress in 2006.
bad, bad govt. giving out vacation and providing jobs and such...
Old 06-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
tony hipchest

Quote:
On the contrary, we started our drivers $3-4$ more then our competitors, full benefits, family included on insurance, every paid holiday, and even loaned money.
so as a business owner in the private sector, what made you decide to take these steps and go above and beyond, when the govt didnt mandate that you do so?

i agree that bribes and kickbacks are a problem in the govt. they are a problem in the private sector as well. corruption in business knows no bounds.

in america, nobody is born into the government. all politicians come from the private sector. our system is set up where it is easier to manipulate the rules/laws from the inside as opposed to outside (however, as we both well know, money can buy anything).
Old 06-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
so as a business owner in the private sector,
There are countless small business's that don't offer a darn thing or hardly anything at all. Forcing them to give handouts would put them out of business.

We do give our employees paid vacation after one year, sick days and holiday pay(time and a half). It has to be staffed 24/7. And for another lil benefit the employees can take days off as long as they can cover their shift, trade days or whatever, we try to be flexible with them as long as it doesn't cause too much of a headache for us and other employees. Like bitching you didn't get enough hours when you took 2-3 days off in a pay period.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 06-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
tony hipchest

Quote:
On the contrary, we started our drivers $3-4$ more then our competitors, full benefits, family included on insurance, every paid holiday, and even loaned money. Then we had to lay off, cancel insurance and benefits, start new guys for less, and rotate them so no body gets over time. It sucks to do that but if we don't, everyone would be out of jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
We do give our employees paid vacation after one year, sick days and holiday pay(time and a half). It has to be staffed 24/7. And for another lil benefit the employees can take days off as long as they can cover their shift, trade days or whatever, we try to be flexible with them as long as it doesn't cause too much of a headache for us and other employees. Like bitching you didn't get enough hours when you took 2-3 days off in a pay period.
so what you guys are saying is that even though you choose to do these things on your own free will (it is a WISE business decision), you are gonna complain that a democratic congressman suggests that all businessmen do the same?

despite will's article, its no time to panic. its not a law, let alone even a bill.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
so what you guys are saying is that even though you choose to do these things on your own free will (it is a WISE business decision),
Quote:
you are gonna complain that a democratic congressman suggests that all businessmen do the same?
despite will's article, its no time to panic. its not a law, let alone even a bill.
I'm just thinking about the mom and pop business's. I know their probably to small to worry about it now. But eventually the small small business's (1-150 employees) will be included in the law if it does pass.

Now we have ten employees, which isn't going to affect us much. What does is dealing with all the Medicaid BS that changes just about every other day.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 06-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #10
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post

I've had drivers stop at their house to take a nap on the way back from a load, ask customers to borrow money, drive 30mph every where, told customers to go eff themselves, sell concrete that isn't theirs, the list goes on and on and on. I don't think those guys should reap any reward for that kind of workmanship. It's amazing how many laws already protect them and their jobs.
so what are some of these laws that not only enable but encourage fraud, theft, and gross misconduct? how long have they been on the book?

maybe you live in a funny state, because i have employees who are not only unionized but protected by the US Dept of Labor who have tried (and failed) to get away with far less than what you describe.

between our company policy handbook, the cba, and dept of labor standards it is pretty much cut and dry what is expected of the employees and how much rope they are given before they hang themselves.