Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Scouts Inc. on Lawrence Timmons

Scouts Inc. on Lawrence Timmons
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/...e-Timmons.html
June 3, 2009 4:25 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

When starting inside linebacker Larry Foote was released by the Pittsburgh Steelers, very few in Steeler Nation were worried. Some fans, in fact, were downright giddy.

The reason behind the excitement was 2007 first-round pick Lawrence Timmons, who has shown tremendous potential but could never earn enough playing time as the team's backup linebacker.

That will all change this season as Timmons will start in Foote's vacant spot in 2009. What can we expect from the dynamic third-year linebacker? We check in with Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson to find out.

Matt, there is definitely a buzz in Pittsburgh surrounding Lawrence Timmons this year. What can we expect from him as a full-time starter?

Matt Williamson: Timmons is tremendous. He has it all, but the only thing I can question about him is I'm not sure what kind of "take-on" player he is in a 3-4 defense as an inside linebacker. On early downs, he has to come up and stone an offensive guard in the hole and shed him and make a tackle. I haven't seen enough of that to know if he can do it. I think he can, but I just haven't seen it. But he is extremely athletic, he's got great size and rare explosion. I can't say enough about him. I really think he's going to be a great player.

Because Timmons is more athletic than Foote, could that lead to more blitzing options for Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau?

Williamson: Absolutely. You will see him blitz a lot more than Foote did because Timmons is much better at it. Foote is a nice fit for the Detroit Lions as a stopgap guy, because he comes from a winning team. But as Steelers linebackers go he's not going to be missed, whereas Timmons could be special. LeBeau is going to have a lot of things at his disposal to do with Timmons whether it's blitzing or in coverage. He can open his hips and run down the deep middle if they want to play a Tampa 2 system, which is where [Steelers head coach] Mike Tomlin comes from, and I think he can stay with any tight end in the AFC North division for sure. So LeBeau is going to have a new toy.

With Timmons now entrenched as the starter. Who are some of the fallback options at linebacker in the event that one of Pittsburgh's four starters goes down?

Williamson: Unless Bruce Davis steps up, their depth at linebacker is questionable now. A guy like Keyaron Fox is a decent player for a game or two, but he's really a special-teamer. There's nobody to really get excited about if and when any of their linebackers get hurt. At least Timmons is versatile enough to where he could go on the outside if someone can emerge on the inside like Fox.

Pittsburgh Steelers, AFC North, NFL, Lawrence Timmons, Dick LeBeau, Larry Foote, Detroit Lions

Sort comments by: Most Recent | First Posted
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:26 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,160 Times in 1,342 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Scouts Inc. on Lawrence Timmons

I can't wait to see what Timmons will do this year. I am sure he will have a monster year this year. I think he will play havoc on opposing quarterbacks with his speed.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:52 AM   #3
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
With Timmons now entrenched as the starter. Who are some of the fallback options at linebacker in the event that one of Pittsburgh's four starters goes down?

Williamson: Unless Bruce Davis steps up, their depth at linebacker is questionable now. A guy like Keyaron Fox is a decent player for a game or two, but he's really a special-teamer. There's nobody to really get excited about if and when any of their linebackers get hurt. At least Timmons is versatile enough to where he could go on the outside if someone can emerge on the inside like Fox.
I'm not worried at all with the depth at LB. I think Fox is a more than serviceable backup on the inside. On the outside either Frazier or Harrison or both will be available to step in if necessary, with both having a good amount of experience in the system. Then there's the option he mentioned with Timmons on the outside if necessary.

I think everyone's excited to see what Timmons can do. I also think the camp battles at LB should be pretty good. I'm hoping for Bailey and Woods to continue to learn the system and hopefully turn yet another UDFA into a valuable asset.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
WeegiesWarriors
Banned

Member Number: 13183

Nobody in the NFL has depth everywhere. Plus merely practicing with these 4 guys makes any backup better than 3/4 of the other team's 5th and 6th LB. If somebody goes down Lebeau adjusts his scheme and life goes on. It's not like the Cleveland Browns have Dick Butkus sitting on the sideline while we have Bruce Davis.

He could have written that sentence about the majority of NFL teams.
WeegiesWarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218

I just got done watching a replay of the SB again....Always a good way to spend a rainy day!....Anyways....Timmons was involved in a lot more plays than I remember....Way more than Troy was in that particular game...I'm very excited and am looking forward to what Timmons can do for us! I think its going to be a fun year!
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
STEELtownHAVOX
Starter

Member Number: 6464

He will be known as LT3 nation wide by the end of the season.
STEELtownHAVOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #7
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
He will be known as LT3 nation wide by the end of the season
i certainly hope not.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:34 AM   #8
JackHammer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 5640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
I can't wait to see what Timmons will do this year. I am sure he will have a monster year this year. I think he will play havoc on opposing quarterbacks with his speed.
While I agree with you, I REALLY want to see him meeting RB's at the line of scrimmage when they try going between the tackles. He might end somebody's season.
JackHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Timmons is going to be an absolute beast. I can't wait for the season to start and an opposing RB thinks he can just run LT over...just to find himself laying on the ground dazed by a vicious run-stopping tackle.

I think he's going to be used a lot like Polamalu, confusing the QB by lining up in a deeper LB position and then blitzing, lining up at the LOS then dropping back to defend the pass, not to mention blitzing him.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote