Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 06-04-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default 6 Reasons Obama Plan for GM Will Fail...

1. Obama's plan will discourage future outside investment, so forget about commercial pressure for innovation. If this is a government entity, it will be run like a government entity.
2. The new regime is....the same as the old regime (maybe even worse), which got them into this mess in the first place. Instead of fresh blood, they promoted another entrenched insider and gave the Union even MORE influence.
3. The plug can never be pulled no matter HOW badly this whole thing turns out. The government stepped in and they can't really back out now, so we are stuck with whatever ugly mess comes out the other end.
4. The focus of GM will try to serve two mutually exclusive ends. How can this company turn profitable AND make small cars that nobody really wants at the same time? Obama needs to back away from his personal agenda on this front.
5. GM will now see Washington as it's prime revenue source. They'll lobby for competitive advantages over car companies that actually, you know, how to sell good cars and make a profit like Ford and Toyota. They'll close overseas plants which cut into profitability. the government will have to make up the difference.
6. The government, management and unions will form a very cozy partnership over the coming years...and not to the advantage of GM. GM and the unions have already proven they have no idea how to successfully run a car company. Does anyone think the government input will help?

(I used David Brooks Op/Ed piece to write this)
Old 06-04-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891
Default Re: 6 Reasons Obama Plan for GM Will Fail...

Have you seen the new GM commercials already starting to hit the air waves?

"we are rebuilding" "a better car" "there was a time when 8 brands made sense, not anymore"

So that's what my TAX dollars are paying for, commercials on how its ok that the Government owns a Once Private Company and that I need to trust in GM now?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

How much ya wanna bet the "non Government owned brands" will be taxed out the ying yang now?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,196 Times in 1,940 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
How much ya wanna bet the "non Government owned brands" will be taxed out the ying yang now?
Taxed out of existence. Do away with the competition and the people will have no choice but to buy the shitty little government cars.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

What cracks me up is Ford prepared for the economic downturn. Yes, they lost some money in the process but they didn't need a dime from the government. Now, as was said by KeiselPoser and Mach, they are going to get punished for being successful. Oh wait, we all knew that was coming!

One more thing, can anyone say AMTRAK? When was the last time they turned a profit?

Last edited by SCSTILLER; 06-04-2009 at 11:17 AM. Reason: forgot a word, not backtracking.
SCSTILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 10606

7. example A of a government run entity, The American Postal Service (sucks!)

8. example B of a government run entity, the IRS (sucks harder)...
Two years ago they sent me a refund check and then sent me a letter telling me I owed them more than double what they paid me. After taking a year to straighten that out and realize they made a mistake, this year they direct deposited my return into someone else's account and did not notify my of their mistake. After I called wondering where my money was they told me the sad story and that it would be 1-2 months more before I get my refund. I finally get it on the same day I got a letter from them informing me that they made a mistake. Now that is an organized business!

9. example C of a government run business, the DMV. (Need I say more?)
Old 06-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
1. Obama's plan will discourage future outside investment, so forget about commercial pressure for innovation. If this is a government entity, it will be run like a government entity.
2. The new regime is....the same as the old regime (maybe even worse), which got them into this mess in the first place. Instead of fresh blood, they promoted another entrenched insider and gave the Union even MORE influence.
3. The plug can never be pulled no matter HOW badly this whole thing turns out. The government stepped in and they can't really back out now, so we are stuck with whatever ugly mess comes out the other end.
4. The focus of GM will try to serve two mutually exclusive ends. How can this company turn profitable AND make small cars that nobody really wants at the same time? Obama needs to back away from his personal agenda on this front.
5. GM will now see Washington as it's prime revenue source. They'll lobby for competitive advantages over car companies that actually, you know, how to sell good cars and make a profit like Ford and Toyota. They'll close overseas plants which cut into profitability. the government will have to make up the difference.
6. The government, management and unions will form a very cozy partnership over the coming years...and not to the advantage of GM. GM and the unions have already proven they have no idea how to successfully run a car company. Does anyone think the government input will help?

(I used David Brooks Op/Ed piece to write this)
I thought it was obvious why his plans for GM are going to fail...

BECAUSE HE SUCKS (almost as bad as the bungals - possibly more!)

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post

Hey, if you dont like the guy thats your choice.... But to compare him to the bungals? Thats just wrong..... Give the guy a little respect... He is the president...
Bungals =
Old 06-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post

I can't believe it took 7 posts to point that out! That was obvious.
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE View Post
Hey, if you dont like the guy thats your choice.... But to compare him to the bungals? Thats just wrong..... Give the guy a little respect... He is the president...
Bungals =
Actually, comparing Obaaaaaaaaama to the Bungles is an insult to the Bungles.

With each passing day, I find it more difficult to give this man any respect. While he's making nice with Acccccchaaaamad, Abdul, Ismail, HumpMyCamel and every other Ishkabibble across the globe, he's screwing our country and you people who put this overhyped, underqualified dunce into office are getting screwed too. Congrats.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote