Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 06-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Pittsburgh Steelers Team Report

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Report
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...ome.htm?csp=34

Everyone knows Ben Roethlisberger's well-worn nickname, but he has picked up another one that few talk about publicly — Big Ben, Drama Queen.

He's been called that for a number of years by the media and even some teammates because of the big deal he often makes over minor or even non-existent "injuries."

The latest occurred Wednesday when he left an OTA practice and limped heavily off the field. A trainer examined him and helped him stretch out his left knee. Roethlisberger then watched the rest of practice, limping around in front of a practice open to the press. He limped off the field and was limping around the Steelers facility.

Neither he nor coach Mike Tomlin would comment on the injury, which made matters even worse.

But he wore nothing on the knee — not a brace or even a wrap. He then went and taped a previously scheduled magazine-like interview for ESPN that was lengthy. He never did see a doctor that day and returned to practice on Wednesday with a small wrap on his left knee.

Willie Parker revealed that he bumped knees in practice with Roethlisberger.

"But he's definitely all right and he's a competitor," Parker said, then laughed. "I guess he just likes a lot of attention sometimes and he likes being the little baby, but Ben is definitely a warrior."

While a minor issue, it's become almost a cliche for Big Ben. His propensity to make something out of minor ailments, at best, began in his rookie season of 2004. After losing to the New England Patriots at home in the AFC championship game after a personally dreadful performance, Roethlisberger told the media the following day that he had several toes broken during the game.

That came as news to then-coach Bill Cowher, who told the media the day after that he knew nothing about any broken toes and neither did his medical staff.

Since then there has been a steady stream of drama surrounding either minor injuries or possibly non-existing injuries with Roethlisberger. They have included hand and thumb injuries the club never acknowledged but Roethlisberger announced publicly, along with a spinal concussion the past season and the "broken ribs" he proclaimed the week of the Super Bowl.

To be fair, Roethlisberger has not missed much playing time in his five seasons as a starter. Since he became their starter in the third game of his rookie season, he has missed seven starts, at least one to rest in a

meaningless season-ending game. All others were legitimate injuries that included an appendectomy and knee surgery. And he's a big, tough man who has endured 139 sacks over the past three seasons.

It's not the major injuries but the small or non-existing ones that grate both on his coaches and his teammates. Bill Cowher became visibly upset when confronted with one of Big Ben's ailments.

But, if Roethlisberger keeps playing as he has, for the most part, through his first five seasons in the league, Mike Tomlin and the rest of the franchise will find a way to set the drama perceptions aside. Terry Bradshaw also had some of that drama in him and between them they started six Super Bowl victories for Pittsburgh.

NOTES, QUOTES

—Joe Greene, the rock around which the Steelers built a Super Bowl dynasty, will become their only player to earn six Super Bowl rings with them. Greene won four as a Hall of Fame defensive tackle, and two more as a special scout for Pittsburgh.

"I don't wear them often," Greene said of his rings. "It's not something I put on all the time. I'll wear each one at different times. This year, after we got into the playoffs, I put the ring on with four championships. I guess I had it on through the draft, then took it off."

—Ben Roethlisberger will join former NBA great Michael Jordan and singer Justin Timberlake in the Golf Digest U.S. Open Challenge June 12 at Bethpage Black in New York, the site of next year's U.S. Open. The event developed after Tiger Woods commented that the average player could not break 100 on a U.S. Open course under open conditions.

"You know me — I always welcome a challenge," Roethlisberger said. "Tiger tells me I can shoot 87."

—The Steelers will hold three more OTAs June 9, 10, 11 and then break until training camp.

—Hines Ward said he was sad over the death of former South Korean president Roh Moo-hyun, who committed suicide. Roh called Ward a "hero" in the spring of 2006 after they lunched together in Korea.

"My mom shed a tear because she has a picture of me, my mother, the president and his wife," Ward said.

Ward appealed to Roh three years ago to rid South Korea of its laws and attitudes against racially mixed people, of which Ward is one.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "And there's the new Steel Curtain — the NFL's best defense last year, thanks to Dick LeBeau, who I think everybody acknowledges

is one of the greatest defensive coordinators of all time." — President Barrack Obama during introductory comments at the Super Bowl champs' White House visit.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

MEDICAL WATCH: P Daniel Sepulveda, who missed last season after ACL surgery in training camp, revealed this week that he had surgery on his same knee to repair a meniscus six weeks ago. Sepulveda, a lefty, had both surgeries on his right, plant knee. He has resumed punting in OTAs.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148
Default Re: Pittsburgh Steelers Team Report

HMM.....

Is there PROOF that he doesn't actually have these "nonexistant" injuries? I mean the man has been hit more than Madonnas catchers mit. I think if there is anyone who is a premadonna it's Marsha. He gets hit and the rules are changed.

Ben is as tough as anyone in the league. So he actually lets people know he's hurt. Whooptee Fakin Doo! I don't care what the media, coaches, players say about him.

Because no matter what is said about him the phrase 2 time Superbowl champ has to be in there too.

The one thing that he can't be called is CHEATER.

EFF BRADY AND ALL TOOLS WHO DROOL OVER HIM!

Old 06-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
Brandon
Water Boy

Member Number: 9009

Great read, nice to hear some quotes from Joe Greene.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Its great, he always plays better Hurt anyway.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Hammer....Tell us what you really think of Brady! LOL
Old 06-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Pittsburgh Steelers Team Report
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...ome.htm?csp=34

Everyone knows Ben Roethlisberger's well-worn nickname, but he has picked up another one that few talk about publicly — Big Ben, Drama Queen.

He's been called that for a number of years by the media and even some teammates because of the big deal he often makes over minor or even non-existent "injuries."

The latest occurred Wednesday when he left an OTA practice and limped heavily off the field. A trainer examined him and helped him stretch out his left knee. Roethlisberger then watched the rest of practice, limping around in front of a practice open to the press. He limped off the field and was limping around the Steelers facility.

Neither he nor coach Mike Tomlin would comment on the injury, which made matters even worse.

But he wore nothing on the knee — not a brace or even a wrap. He then went and taped a previously scheduled magazine-like interview for ESPN that was lengthy. He never did see a doctor that day and returned to practice on Wednesday with a small wrap on his left knee.

Willie Parker revealed that he bumped knees in practice with Roethlisberger.

"But he's definitely all right and he's a competitor," Parker said, then laughed. "I guess he just likes a lot of attention sometimes and he likes being the little baby, but Ben is definitely a warrior."

While a minor issue, it's become almost a cliche for Big Ben. His propensity to make something out of minor ailments, at best, began in his rookie season of 2004. After losing to the New England Patriots at home in the AFC championship game after a personally dreadful performance, Roethlisberger told the media the following day that he had several toes broken during the game.

That came as news to then-coach Bill Cowher, who told the media the day after that he knew nothing about any broken toes and neither did his medical staff.

Since then there has been a steady stream of drama surrounding either minor injuries or possibly non-existing injuries with Roethlisberger. They have included hand and thumb injuries the club never acknowledged but Roethlisberger announced publicly, along with a spinal concussion the past season and the "broken ribs" he proclaimed the week of the Super Bowl.

To be fair, Roethlisberger has not missed much playing time in his five seasons as a starter. Since he became their starter in the third game of his rookie season, he has missed seven starts, at least one to rest in a

meaningless season-ending game. All others were legitimate injuries that included an appendectomy and knee surgery. And he's a big, tough man who has endured 139 sacks over the past three seasons.

It's not the major injuries but the small or non-existing ones that grate both on his coaches and his teammates. Bill Cowher became visibly upset when confronted with one of Big Ben's ailments.

But, if Roethlisberger keeps playing as he has, for the most part, through his first five seasons in the league, Mike Tomlin and the rest of the franchise will find a way to set the drama perceptions aside. Terry Bradshaw also had some of that drama in him and between them they started six Super Bowl victories for Pittsburgh.

NOTES, QUOTES

—Joe Greene, the rock around which the Steelers built a Super Bowl dynasty, will become their only player to earn six Super Bowl rings with them. Greene won four as a Hall of Fame defensive tackle, and two more as a special scout for Pittsburgh.

"I don't wear them often," Greene said of his rings. "It's not something I put on all the time. I'll wear each one at different times. This year, after we got into the playoffs, I put the ring on with four championships. I guess I had it on through the draft, then took it off."

—Ben Roethlisberger will join former NBA great Michael Jordan and singer Justin Timberlake in the Golf Digest U.S. Open Challenge June 12 at Bethpage Black in New York, the site of next year's U.S. Open. The event developed after Tiger Woods commented that the average player could not break 100 on a U.S. Open course under open conditions.

"You know me — I always welcome a challenge," Roethlisberger said. "Tiger tells me I can shoot 87."

—The Steelers will hold three more OTAs June 9, 10, 11 and then break until training camp.

—Hines Ward said he was sad over the death of former South Korean president Roh Moo-hyun, who committed suicide. Roh called Ward a "hero" in the spring of 2006 after they lunched together in Korea.

"My mom shed a tear because she has a picture of me, my mother, the president and his wife," Ward said.

Ward appealed to Roh three years ago to rid South Korea of its laws and attitudes against racially mixed people, of which Ward is one.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "And there's the new Steel Curtain — the NFL's best defense last year, thanks to Dick LeBeau, who I think everybody acknowledges

is one of the greatest defensive coordinators of all time." — President Barrack Obama during introductory comments at the Super Bowl champs' White House visit.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

MEDICAL WATCH: P Daniel Sepulveda, who missed last season after ACL surgery in training camp, revealed this week that he had surgery on his same knee to repair a meniscus six weeks ago. Sepulveda, a lefty, had both surgeries on his right, plant knee. He has resumed punting in OTAs.

This dude is the drama queen.........Why do you have to write such garbage.......He got nothing else........Made his own drama........;
Old 06-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Yeehaw

Who really cares if he's a drama queen? He's as tough as any QB in the league when the game is being played. What a waste of an article space when something meaningful could have been written...but I guess it is the offseason.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

I fail to see where Ben has made a big deal about his knee........he hasn't said a word.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

How did he handle having his face go through a windshield and lose his appendix? he refused to admit that it would even possibly affect his play.

If he needs to do these little things to stay awesome that's fine with me. Just like Hines Ward needs to be offended by something in the next 7 weeks so he can come to camp with a chip on his shoulder.

You'd think FWP would keep a tighter lip about this. He doesn't stand to gain anything by saying such things.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:59 PM   #10
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

I laugh about the drama queen stuff all the time. While it would be better for him to keep his mouth shut, he more than makes up this "sissy" attitude with the endurance of his catastrophic injuries in the past and his competitive spirit
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote