Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-12-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,922 Times in 4,520 Posts
Default important stats on cowher. get off his back

on the verge of cowhers 6th afc chamionship game appearance during his tenure:

no current coach has been with their team longer than that of the steelers.

no team has rushed for more yards than the steelers.

no team has posted a better regular season winning percentage than the steelers.

no team has been to the championship game and had more opportunities to go to the superbowl than the steelers.

this is no coincidence. the one constant has been the relationship between the rooneys and bill cowher. "just win baby" sounds good on paper but it does not equate to super bowl trophies.

in all actuallity cowher is seperated from greatness by about 8 turnovers that he had no part of committing.

as we go into this weekends game just remember cowher has won FIVE times in this exact situation, to get us into the afc championship game. i like our chances against the colts, based on coaching alone.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86
Default Re: important stats on cowher. get off his back

Winning a superbowl is what seperates cowher from the next level. We need to get that championship soon. I mean so close so many times and it slips away.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Dont take this as smack - I think most people now my position know my position on Cowher anyway.

If Cowher has been 'seperated from greatness by 8 turnovers he had no part of commiting' ...how can he take credit for the turnovers his own team creates during the regular season?

It just seems like cherry picking to me - the regular season wins are a sign of greatness - but the Championship game losses are written off as 'out of his control'.

The post-season is notorious for weeding out players who are not of the highest quality who appear impressive in the regular season - see Eli Manning this year Ben R last year - isnt this just the coaching equivalent?

BTW - I am am referring specifically to last years Ben - not this years.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 01-12-2006 at 09:28 PM.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992

uh-oh....NOW you went and did it.
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:35 PM   #5
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

Nice stats, and I dont understand people's basis of hating on Cowher...the AFCC losses are not his fault. Also, alot of teams don't get to make it as far as the championship game (see Clowns), and not many teams have even won a Superbowl. Our time will come soon, if not now!
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:36 PM   #6
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past

The post-season is notorious for weeding out players who are not of the highest quality who appear impressive in the regular season - see Eli Manning this year Ben R last year - isnt this just the coaching equivalent?

BTW - I am am referring specifically to last years Ben - not this years.

NM
if you believe that trent dilfer is greater than dan marino and barry switzer is better than bill cowher, well yeah, i guess it is.

(seems like you have a high expectation of 1st or 2nd year qb's in their 1st playoffs)
bad case of tom bradyitis? keep in mind brady needed the tuck rule and 2 miracle field goals just to advance to a afc champ game. one he didnt even have to win or probably wouldnt have won if he had played more than a quarter.

sometimes the hardest part of winning a superbowl is winning the championship game 1st.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:42 PM   #7
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosdo
Winning a superbowl is what seperates cowher from the next level. We need to get that championship soon. I mean so close so many times and it slips away.

That sums it up right there... so close yet so far away.. Its time for 1 for the Thumb and bring that trophy back to Pittsburgh !
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:43 PM   #8
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
if you believe that trent dilfer is greater than dan marino and barry switzer is better than bill cowher, well yeah, i guess it is.

(seems like you have a high expectation of 1st or 2nd year qb's in their 1st playoffs)
bad case of tom bradyitis? keep in mind brady needed the tuck rule and 2 miracle field goals just to advance to a afc champ game. one he didnt even have to win or probably wouldnt have won if he had played more than a quarter.

i love that b.s. that Bledsoe was this great hero that did what Brady could not. At the time
the Steelers rolled over Brady's ankle for the 2nd time to knock him out, the Patriots were leading 7-3 and Brady had just completed a beautiful pass to Brown to get the Patriots into Steeler territory. Bledsoe made 5 or 6 good throws in that game but he also did his usual throw the ball over his head crap and tried to throw a pass to a LB in the 4th. Bradys stats were better than Bledsoes in that game. But fine, we'll throw the Bledsoe people a bone, he did a great job for a backup and we couldnt have won without that contribution. But pu-leeeze, had Brady's ankle not been accidently rolled over for a 2nd time (did I say that again?! didnt mean to imply anything..) the Patriots would won that game by far more.
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:51 PM   #9
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 to be 4
i love that b.s. that Bledsoe was this great hero that did what Brady could not. At the time
the Steelers rolled over Brady's ankle for the 2nd time to knock him out, the Patriots were leading 7-3 and Brady had just completed a beautiful pass to Brown to get the Patriots into Steeler territory. Bledsoe made 5 or 6 good throws in that game but he also did his usual throw the ball over his head crap and tried to throw a pass to a LB in the 4th. Bradys stats were better than Bledsoes in that game. But fine, we'll throw the Bledsoe people a bone, he did a great job for a backup and we couldnt have won without that contribution. But pu-leeeze, had Brady's ankle not been accidently rolled over for a 2nd time (did I say that again?! didnt mean to imply anything..) the Patriots would won that game by far more.
brady lacked the big game experience that bledsoe brought to the table. as we saw last weekend that counts for something where 1st time play off qb's are concerned. and bradys experience vs. oakland can be equated to ben vs. the jets last year. brady wouldve went on to do exactly what roethlisberger did last year vs. the pats. especially against the #1 defense in the league. hell, it took special teams and kordell turnovers just to bail bledsoe and their offense out. brady went into the superbowl with no pressure. ben wouldve done just as good against the eagles last year as brady did against the rams. no pressure = good.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:01 PM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest

sometimes the hardest part of winning a superbowl is winning the championship game 1st.
Think of the QB's I mentioned purely as an anecdote on how the intesity of playof football is much, much higher than regular season games comparison - not literal equivalents.

What I am saying is - why is Cowher not to blame for turnovers given up by the Steelers in Championship games - yet somehow he is close to greatness because of what happens in regular season games.

I dont see how you can attribute good Steeler results to Cowher - and bad ones to his team.

Surely a team that turns the ball over in the post-season must be lacking some kind of coaching, be it physical or mental - or else why dont they do it during the regular season?

Also Cowher has had many players in his rosters during his reign - are all these players somehow allergic to championship football - or is there a more obvious common factor?

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote