Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,198 Times in 476 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Mike Tomlin

kind of s slow day so i thought i would find out what you guys think

if he had been hired by another team say the lions how well do you think he would have done?
vasteeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default Re: Mike Tomlin

Mike Tomlin would have been a good coach anywhere he would have went.

It has helped him to have a solid ownership and core group of players to start with, but you can't teach the kind of leadership and confidence the man instills in anyone who will listen to him. You could see this in him after his first press conference.

I guarantee you that Minnesota and Tampa are absolutely kicking themselves for letting him get away.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

With Vince Lombardi as HC, Bill Walsh as the OC and Bill Parcells as the DC, Detroit would have STILL only maybe won 3 games last year.

Nobody could fix that mess in one year...too hard to undo years of systematic mismanagement.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,554 Times in 1,685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post

I guarantee you that Minnesota and Tampa are absolutely kicking themselves for letting him get away.
I saw a Brad Childress quote where he said he knew Tomlin would be a head coach soon, but hoped he would have had him for at least more than 1 season as D-coordinator.

Minnesota knew Tomlin was gonna get away. They already had tagged Childress as their guy.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551

Tomlin pretty much walked into a great situation when he signed to be a coach of your guys team.

Cowher, Colbert and the Rooney had the team already set when Tomlin walked in, and didn't really need to change all that much, was able to keep the D-coordinator and O-Coordinator, and pretty much he was set.

The guy obviously knows what he's doing though, as he made the Super Bowl in his 2nd season and has yet to have a losing season. He's a great coach, there's no really denying that.

But like I've said about Ben Roethlisberger in the past, if he was say...Head Coach of the Browns two years back, he would be nowhere near as successful and would be struggling.

I think this speaks moreso of how good the Steeler Organization is built, that they're able to hire a Head Coach, who was pretty much not as well known as other candidates and didn't even skip a beat really.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodWoodsonwasprettycool View Post
Tomlin pretty much walked into a great situation when he signed to be a coach of your guys team.

Cowher, Colbert and the Rooney had the team already set when Tomlin walked in, and didn't really need to change all that much, was able to keep the D-coordinator and O-Coordinator, and pretty much he was set.

The guy obviously knows what he's doing though, as he made the Super Bowl in his 2nd season and has yet to have a losing season. He's a great coach, there's no really denying that.

But like I've said about Ben Roethlisberger in the past, if he was say...Head Coach of the Browns two years back, he would be nowhere near as successful and would be struggling.

I think this speaks moreso of how good the Steeler Organization is built, that they're able to hire a Head Coach, who was pretty much not as well known as other candidates and didn't even skip a beat really.
I agree with everything you said, but I do believe that Tomlin has a way of communicating and leading that has greatly added to his success. He had to win over that locker room. Most he succeeded with, some he didn't.

I don't believe just anyone who is a coach would have been able to lead this group to a 2nd SB in their 2nd year of hire without strong leadership and communication skills. As an example, imagine if Dave Wannstadt had been hired. Regardless of what was already in place, Wannstadt is no Tomlin.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
I agree with everything you said, but I do believe that Tomlin has a way of communicating and leading that has greatly added to his success. He had to win over that locker room. Most he succeeded with, some he didn't.

I don't believe just anyone who is a coach would have been able to lead this group to a 2nd SB in their 2nd year of hire without strong leadership and communication skills. As an example, imagine if Dave Wannstadt had been hired. Regardless of what was already in place, Wannstadt is no Tomlin.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Tomlin has a way with his guys that is truly unique. The Steelers struck pay dirt when they chose him to be their guy.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,407 Times in 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodWoodsonwasprettycool View Post
Yeah, seems to me Norv Turner walked into a great situation in San Diego (a 14-2 record and a #1 playoff seed got his predecessor fired and he inherited arguably the most talented roster in the league from top to bottom), and what's he done there?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Yeah, seems to me Norv Turner walked into a great situation in San Diego (a 14-2 record and a #1 playoff seed got his predecessor fired and he inheritied arguably the most talented roster in the league from top to bottom), and what's he done there?

I'm not saying that I don't think he's a good coach, in fact quite the opposite, , as pointed a guy like a Wannstadt or Turner may have messed it up. But I was just saying he's in a good situation, he had the personnel around him that's allowed him to succeed. I guarantee you he'd probably say the same thing.

The Steelers are built ultra-well, so much so that they were able to succeed the past two seasons with a sub-par o-line. Something you'd never hear about from the Browns or any other NFL team.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

This year is his true test. Success breeds a lot of problems. Cowher's heart wasn't really in it after he won...Tomlin is lucky in that he didn't see a mass exodus via free agency, but, then again, if you listen to half the people on this board, most of his offensive players suck open ass anyway (which, at worst, makes him winning the SB all the more impressive).

If he takes the Steelers BACK to the promised land, he instantly cements himself as a great coach in my book.